The Internet and Romance

I’ve practically given up on trying to meet women through the standard routes. That’s just been a nightmare so far. I don’t even want to go into it.

I think I shall turn to the internet in search of romance. I’ve known several people who, were it not for the internet, would likely have ended up spending the remainder of their lives like celibate monks.

Perhaps I shall find someone. They might live on the other side of the world. But I’m sure the plane ticket to Japan (or wherever!) will be worth it when I finally do.

I think you should have entitled this thread, “Any single doper women in Oregon?”

Don’t worry… you’ll find someone. ^_~

Um, good luck, hey, while your at it, if you happen to get any extra plane tickets from SFO to NY, two very lonely teenagers would be thankful… :wink:

Ahh

The internet and romance…

Two words that shouldn’t be used in conjunction with each other!!

Just remember nothing is real until you meet face to face. You can think you know someone be head over heels in love then discover they’re a horror in person.

Don’t be surprised when the person you ‘love’ one day finds someone that lives closer and dumps you without warning.

Keep in mind some cultures treat love differently (asian girls in particular will love you and think you’re the sweetest guy in the world if you merely treat them as human beings says something creepy about how they’re used to being treated I think) I’m not saying some girls should be avoided just try not to abuse their feelings i.e. you’re only partly interested but accidently leading them on.

As long as you keep these things in mind you might find love without getting your heart broken over and over on the net.

I think your more likely to find real-life sex than real-life love over the internet.

But hey, stranger things have happened.

And to many, many of us here. I’ll refrain from spending the next few minutes typing out the screennames of those who have gotten married/engaged/had kids due to meeting each other on this MB:)

Hey, that’s good enough for me.

Thank you. :wink:

Robin

I’ll ad myself to this list in saying I met my hubby over the net. and moved from New Jersey to frickin Arkansas for him too. If that’s not love…heh.

Of course, I wasn’t looking for love. I didn’t go to any dating sites, or whatever. Also i was only 18 at the time. But it just happened when I wasn’t looking :slight_smile:

I got lucky tho, not to end up w/an axe murderer. oh and we’ve been married for three years now :slight_smile:

I’m sure it’s possible.

However, I personally have a policy of NO internet romances. Unless someone lived close to me and I met them-and THEN I’d let something happen.

But I don’t do the online relationship thing. I did once-with some guy in Sweden. I was 18 and really naive and going through depression. shrugs

See, I think you have to meet someone in person, first.

Of course, it could work differently. But that’s my rule, and I plan to stick with it.

Met on the net.
Three months yet
before we get
to actually met!
But we are both really looking forward to it.

I think it builds slower than face to face relationships and the dynamics are different. You learn about each other in a different order. There are obviously some cautions, especially with regards to actually meeting, but there is plenty of evidence around to suggest it can and does work. The net has made the world a different shape and the way we meet and relate has changed. Internet romances are a whole lot more normal and more common than they were just a few years agio.

Ahh there are plenty of people here in Oregon to meet.

It’s alot easier to not know the ‘real’ person when you meet them online.

Make sure they are close enough too you that you will acutally be able to see if you can stand them in person.

I met my EX online…I wasn’t looking for love either…we met playing Backgammon…she’s VERY good

I had about thirty people who I affectionately called my “night” people…about twenty were female but they were not chosen on the basis of their sex but on how good they were at various games…I’m very good at online games and I wanted to play people who were particularly good too

My EX was from Las Vegas(I’m in Wisconsin) and there was no way we would of ever met if not for the net…while in the end it didn’t work out she lived with me for almost two years and we almost married

We’re still email buddies and how we met had NOTHING to do with it not working out

Way back when we used to have to crank the computers instead of plug them in – back before the internet was accessible – my husband and I met on a computer BBS (local Bulletin Board System). We’ve been married almost eighteen years. So far, so good.

If you stick strictly to words for a while, I think that is is possible to learn a great deal that you would not have otherwise known about someone. That way I wasn’t distracted by his handsome face, wicked smile or Perry Mason eyes. (Or his 1965 Ford Fairlaine with a hole in the floor where my feet were supposed to go.)

I met my SO on the net. We had an internet romance for a year with several real life meetings as well. He moved here from England in July and we are still very much in love. Good luck to you!

I met my wife on the net - a Robert Jordan book discussion bbs.

she lived in Arkansas, I was in Pennsylvania- about 1200 miles.

Fell in love right off the bat, met irl 4 months after, and i asked her to marry me 3 days after that.
engaged for 2 1/2 years (all long distance), married, I moved down to AR, and have been married for 3 wonderful years. We’ve got 3 kids- 2 from her previous marriage, and 1 we had together…and I’ve never been happier.

So it does happen.

“But I’m sure the plane ticket to Japan (or wherever!) will be worth it when I finally do.”

You speak Japanese? You got a Japanese browser font? Hmmm.

In my opinion, internet relationships are the easiest relationships of all.

I bash away at this piece of furniture called a computer for work everyday. When I finish I want to talk to people face to face, friends, family, my SO…not through this inanimate object. I value personal contact more. Just an opinion. I try and meet new people by playing sport, talking to people in pubs, joining an activity/appreciation group, busking (few years ago), hobbies like music, fishing, swimming, being a piss head and having fun. You can meet new people by just walking the dog. The networks of people you meet from friends of friends is enormous.

I reckon it’s alot easier and things happen alot more quickly face to face. I suppose it doesn’t matter how you meet new people if your having fun though does it.