The new Straight Dope administrator ...

Not sure how I feel about the forced tuba lessons though…

Good luck and best wishes.

There’s still a Straight Dope Message Board?

I’m a new poster here, but have been reading the Straight Dope since the first book came out when I was in middle school, and remember your name from the books. Mazel tov on your ascension to adminhood. :slight_smile:

Congrats, Tuba. I honestly can’t think of anyone who has put more into this place than you.

I have a fair amount of AdminCP experience (and a test site where I can break things), so please let me know if there’s ever anything I can help with.

JillGat !!!

Rico !!!

This is awesome !! We should all set up on the porch with a nice 5 Gallon Gatorade Bucket fulla lemonade, have some tasty home-baked banana bread and snickerdoodles and talk about the AOL days.

Before PowerTools™, of course. :wink: When it was a B&W interface !

I just want to say that I had no idea AOL email still existed. Does that guy still say “You’ve got mail!”?

Of course he does.

Well, it’s about dang time.

Here’s to a new future. The Dope is in good hands.

Good luck and enjoy as the boards enter a new era!

It could have been euphonium. I DID give you a choice.

My brother only weighed 95 pounds in high school and he played the Sousaphone in the marching band … funny funny funny looking … anyway, I grew up on tuba music …

Love polkas … especially when we let the wolves play accordion … (zydeco music uses tubas too) …

Wait wait wait … I know there’s regular tubas, and I know there are double tubas … and I can accept alto tubas … but what the hell is a soprano tuba? … that’s got to be an oxymoron …

[Suggestion for a future StraightDope column]

If we call her “Mother” she’ll let us lick the cake batter bowl when she’s baking our birthday cakes …

=====

Why do I get the imagery of Sheriff Bart agreeing to deal with Mongo … “Don’t shoot him, that’ll just make him angry” … you have my commiserations …

ETA: Since the column doesn’t have to go to print anymore, can we start exceeding the 600 word limit?

Thanks. And hey, as a former mod, kudos to you, you’re part of our history and a piece of how we have endured through the years. Can’t thank people enough, all the contributors who made/make this place rock on. This of course includes all the posters who built this place brick by brick.

Now everybody go out and make some more!

You know you’ve got some catching up to do, no?

Middle school? Yikes! Whippersnapper!

Yeah, he’s still trapped in there after all these years.

I await your next book on the differences between poster and moderator poop. :smiley:

AND … another of our former mods checks in. Thank you, my dear.

It’s actually a very easy song on brass, since you can play almost the whole thing with a single fingering. There are only a couple of non-bugle-notes in the whole song.

Strictly speaking, a tuba is just a brass instrument with a conical bore: That is to say, as you go down the length of the tubing from mouthpiece to bell, the diameter is constantly increasing. So a coronet is technically a tuba, but a trumpet (with a constant diameter until you get to the bell) is not.

Q: How old do you have to be to play tuba?
A: Old enough to be able to pick it up. Young enough to still think it might be fun.

Tubas and accordions go together like beans and cornbread … like hot cakes and molasses …

Some people refer to it as a “trumpet.” Also known as 'castrati tuba" by true heavy metal fans. :smiley:

Might even turn the beaters off first.

“Tuba only pawn in game of life.”

The classic columns will run the same, still slices of goodness. Yet TBD what lies ahead. There IS the promise of a potential new Straight Dope book on the horizon … true long form journalism.

I was a conical bore until I discovered The Straight Dope.

:stuck_out_tongue: