The next US President

Moving my thread to the pit effectively bars me from further discourse.

Insults will doubtless follow and I’m not in the habit of exchanging them…

Please move this thread back to IMHO

Reagan started it.

Sorry, maybe I should have put some smileys or something. I do not want you to go somewhere else, it was an attempt at humor. My apologies if I didn’t make that clear enough.

Canada’s got politics? Who knew?

But your dudes never do that to a PM, eh?:dubious:

Actually, George Washington started it. I win.

Chowder, I’m with you. The country, and the SDMB, has become stale with the stench of politics. I don’t even care who wins anymore. I just wish everyone would just shut the fuck up about it already. And I live here.

No it doesn’t.

All you need to do is put forward your carefully conceived point of view in a clear and unambiguous way. Tell people why you think US citizens should refrain from discussing US politics on this board. Prepare your rebuttals in advance. For example, someone might come back with ‘What’s ridiculous is to expect us not to spend a lot of time discussing it.’ You can then post a lucid argument as to why it is as ridiculous as you say it is. Or, another poster might say ‘Well, don’t open the threads, then’, in which case you can explain why you have to open the threads, even though you have a pretty good idea what’s inside them.

Don’t worry about insults. When being abused it’s always best to stay very cool and to respond with reasoned logic rather than exchange views in a like manner. If you trade insults with people you tend to lose the kernel of the topic you are trying to discuss.

No dog in this fight.

Yeah. Sure. everything bush did did was exactly the right move. :rolleyes:

Even if you were right Bush had 8 years to clean it up. EIGHT.

So if Obama doesn’t fix things in 4 you should probably just not say anything.

What is the complaint here? People care about stuff you don’t? Are all your carefully considered OPs dropping to the bottom or something?

On the plus side, you’ve got me hungering for some chowder. MMMmmm.

Hey, this is our planet! The rest of you just live here. At our sufferance, I hasten to add.

Carter started it.

(What?)

Cheater!

As an American living in England, I happily don’t give two shits what’s happening politically in this country, but the American elections are full of intrigue in entertainment.

Back home it’s a well-written drama, here it’s a 9AM repeat of antique roadshow.

No, seriously the big disconnect between the citizenry and presidenets started with Johnson in a pretty small way, as very large numbers of people began to believe the government was lying to them. But it really gelled under Nixon, when we KNEW it. Citizens’ trust in American government has not returned since.

“Well written”?

Presumably like Robert Jordan is “well written”, i.e. repetetively using the same, slurred catch-phrases and keywords, all bluster and no content.

Well of course we do but we don’t go on about it before he/she is even in office, we wait until they’re actually in charge of whatever mess they manage to conjure up.

Chez Guevara: I never suggested that Americans should refrain from discussing US politics. I quite simply said that I expect the SDMB to yet again be swamped with anti-Obama/McCain threads as soon as the president drops a clanger.

Revtim: Apology accepted

Like hell he did. The USA did not form completely out of a vacuum. Many of its components came from the colonial system that preceded it. If there’s anyone to blame, it’s the country that used to control the 13 colonies that became the USA.

Hmmmmmm. I wonder what country that was? [Looks over in chowder’s direction.]

I can see how it’s tiresome, but to me it shows a healthy return of civic-mindness.

Perhaps we are now willing to put Watergate and all the other “gates” behind us and not view Gment through the cynical eyes of adolescence, but with more of a steadfast gaze of adults who realize that work must be done and sacrifices made.

It’s time to grow up, America. Since this is just one of a myriad of opinions on this election and the state of the nation, lots of discussion is happening.
I, too, am a bit weary of it all, but liken it(the many thread here) to a cross between group therapy and AA.

http://python.net/crew/manus/Presidents/faq/conf.html You forgot about Randolph?

I think the Sumerians started it. Before they invented that writing thing, everyone just forgot what happened the last time. It was always NEW. :smiley: