The one trait/habit not acceptable in a potential SO

If you were looking for a potential SO, what one habit or personailty trait would turn you off to that person?

For me:

Habit: smoking. I thoroughly despise smoking. The smell, the damage it does to people and property.

Trait: racism/bigotry. I could not love a person who stupidly hates others based on religion, nationality, etc.

VD

People who are rude to people who they think are “beneath” them. This can be easily seen in how they treat waiters in restaurants… Also (and somewhat attached to this) is somebody who is unnceccsarily high maintenence.

Argh, I can think of several, actually… does that make me excessively picky? Definitely those named in the OP, smoking is awful, and it would be impossible for me to love a racist… but frazeb has a good point too with the rudeness thing, and I don’t know if I could deal with a neat freak, I’m too casual and disorganized… and anyone without an appreciation for music, cuz music is my life. And anyone who hates cats or other animals. and anyone with any of those sexist “women belong in the kitchen” ideas. And maybe anyone who’s dead set on having lots and lots of kids, cuz I plan to be child-free. Stuff like that… woah, I sound really picky. Maybe this is why I don’t date much. :smiley:

Habit: Smoking, bad manners in general

Trait: I don’t like people who aren’t nice.

Short Term Thinkers.

This gets rid of racists, smokers, drug users, disease riddled, um, people.

I like women who like books.

I totally agree. I have a deep mistrust of people who are ego-centric. I mean, shit, they spend all their time thinking about themselves instead of me.

How freak’n selfish is that?

I really don’t think could cohabit with someone who was a proven murderer of cohabitees. Just a personal quirk.

I go along with “no murderers”. Also, I don’t know if I understand ANY women, but the ones who become groupies of serial killers totally FREAK ME OUT! So, no woman who has tried to marry a convicted killer, either.

No smokers, but that might change. I’m about 6 months without a smoke now, so I’m still feeling kind of vulnerable on that front.

No women who are unable to accept intellectual disagreement without feeling they are being personally attacked.

No STUPID women! No woman who wants me to take care of her, or wants me to make all the important decisions.

No woman who wants to be a “housewife”. I need a job, so should she.

No woman who has small children, or WANTS to have children with me.

Are there any women left? I hope so.

To quote Dave Barry, someone who’s nice to you but rude to the waiter is not a nice person.

This IMHO is how she’ll be treating you someday.

bad traits: Cursing, crack addict, bar hopper, “party girl”

good:a girl who can think for herself and is independent

Okay, explain to me what unnceccsarily high maintenence means. 'Cause to me it seems to imply that if she’s beautiful and high maintenance she’s out, but ugly and high maintenance – she’s in, because, logically, the worse you look the more maintenance you need, and in that case the high maintenance would not be unnecessary.

Well, you know. Logically.

Oh yeah. What I won’t tolerate from a maaan.

Habit: womanizing. (or is it a trait?)
Trait: not putting me above his parents on the priority list (or is it a habit?)

People who hate smokers. People who chew with their mouth open.

Then there’s this guy I met yesterday who, after telling me about his extensive history of drug and alcohol abuse, long arrest record, and history of anger management difficulties told me he ‘wasn’t like that anymore’ but was living at the local VA til he solved his non-existent problems.

Yeah, that was a turnoff.

Okay, not acceptable for my SO…

Habit: definitely smoking. I cannot/will not date a girl who smokes. I’m not too fond of that flavor of ashtray when I kiss her…

Trait: Male. (Sorry, I just won’t date one of those… :wink:

Then there’s this guy I met yesterday who, after telling me about his extensive history of drug and alcohol abuse, long arrest record, and history of anger management difficulties said he ‘wasn’t like that anymore’ but was living at the local VA til he solved his non-existent problems.

Dealbreakers -

Smoking- not because they’re bad or evil - I just can’t stand the smell and smoke.

Lack of intellectual curiosity

Inability to use perfume in reasonable amounts.

Dislikes Children

Can’t intellectually disagree without getting emotional and personally offended

Casual use of foul language

Gosh…there’s alot. I feel pretty strongly about the “no killing” thing, gotta admit. Choice between murderer and smoker, I’ll take the smoker every time.

Also no beating up. No smacking around. No violence of any kind, yeah, that’s it. My number one “no can do” habit is being violent.

Trait? Ooooo, hard one. Stupidity is condition, is it also a trait?

That are too many to list. It’s probably a lot easier to say what I looked for (and found :)).

Then there’s this guy I met yesterday who, after telling me about his extensive history of drug and alcohol abuse, long arrest record, and history of anger management difficulties said he ‘wasn’t like that anymore’ but was living at the local VA til he solved his non-existent problems.