The Sandman trailer - upd, now on Netflix

Gaiman likes his mythology, sure. But do those annotated editions include the original art with the notes at the bottom of the page or in the back, or it is just the notes and you have to get the graphic pages separately? Like some of those Finnegans Wake annotations.

Maybe someone offered Gaiman a dump truck full of money to use his setting and characters. O tempora, o mores…

How big is your phone? I recall more or less comic-book-sized pages with things like text bubbles that you need to be able to make out.

A character being portrayed by a black actor somehow “wipes away” the past of someone? Please explain.

You get all the art but in B&W. Well worth it.

Your definition of “look like” seems to start and end with race. All the examples of poor casting choices that you list are poor because they go against the personality, the image, the character of the character, not because they are a different color.

Those two sentences are self-contradictory.

The contradiction is in your examples of poor casting versus your complaint about Death’s casting. You seem to have no concerns with Death having a different personality from that in the comic, just that she’s not the right color.

And what makes you believe that any of the choices I mentioned would have a “different personality” than their comic book character? DJ Quolls couldn’t act like Bruce Wayne? Warwick Davis couldn’t act like Peter Parker? Why not?

Look, how about for casting TV shows and movies you put the names of all SAG actors in a hat and draw them at random. Who you pick gets the role. After all, you don’t seem to think that any complaints about casting are valid.

That is…quite an interpretation of my comments. I think further discussion will not be productive.

After all casting someone like Michael Keaton as Batman (an incredibly unpopular choice at the time for similar reasons as you seem to be articulating) was such an error that it destroyed the character, right?

You guys, I have loved the Sandman comics since my dad got my the first issue at random when I was 12. It might be my favorite entertainment property of all of them. And somehow, SOMEHOW, I only learned that this show is going to exist TODAY. From this thread. I l’m… uh… really psyched.

The racist complaints about casting are so ten years ago. Come on y’all.

So here’s my complaint about the trailer. the soundtrack.

Sandman is brilliant in part because of its tone: overwhelmingly it’s melancholy and reflective and eldritch and fey. There are moments of high action, but they’re not the focus.

So why, in the trailer, is everything an ominous boom?

I’m hoping that the sound mixing for the show comes with a subtler touch. I don’t want this to be Ladyhawked.

I don’t have anything invested in Sandman but I do feel like Gaiman delivers interesting shows. Lucifer and Good Omens were very good and absolutely perfect respectively as two examples.

That’s just trailer music. It usually bears zero relation to the soundtrack.

I definitely hope you’re right. Even for a trailer I’d prefer different music, but if that’s all it is, I’m not too worried.

I learned my lesson with the first Mad Max Fury Road trailer. The operatic music was more appropriate for a light-hearted caper movie, and it had me seriously worried. Fortunately, the actual movie soundtrack was very different.

Racist rock kicking aside I have to say, after glancing at the IMDB page for the show, that there is some insanely crazy good casting going on here. I mean, wow, who DIDN’T they get?

I really feel dejected to have spent years here not in general being jerky, or right wing, or sexist, or racist, to have earned so little good faith that I make the simple observation that I’d like to see a comic book character cast with someone who actually looks like the comic book character that I get openly accused of being a racist. And outside the pit. And, BTW, you are reported.

Spiffy! I’m surprised to hear that you think you’ve earned good faith, though. I’ll leave it to the admin to talk about the rulings about calling statements racist.:

nevermind