There are currently SIX article on the Huffpo regarding Miley's performance at the VMAs

the fact that our society has become a wicked den of immorality should be news to no one

One man’s sexy is another man’s slutty, and most of the time, a man 's sexy is a woman’s slutty.

And hasn’t been laid in 30 years, and is mad about it.

We’ve seen it all before. Disney princess has never been told no becomes an adult and wants to act grown up.
(Linsey Lohan anyone?)
Right now in Vegas there are various betting lines on Miley
Drunk driving 3:1
Rehab 5:1
Sex tape 4:1
Academy Award 100,000:1
It like a train wreck, you just can’t turn your head away.

This thing is driving me crazy for some reason. We’re not supposed to like it - we’re adults! She’s 20 years old and is trying to appeal to young people who still get into pop music. Why in Og’s name would she or her management care what anyone over 24 thinks?

It bothers me so much, because we’re doing what the Boomers did to us - trying to take ownership of a pop culture that is not ours. It’s one thing to feel like it’s a bad performance, but it’s entirely another to huff and puff and demand attention for our opinions in a realm that doesn’t belong to us. Certainly, it’s a free country, but do you really think the VMAs are aimed at us? We’re not the cool people anymore, in a pop culture sense.

Yes, she was acting ridiculous and isn’t a very good performer, but Madonna’s performance at the VMAs where she rolled around in a wedding dress wasn’t very good either. We thought it was - because we were young, and we could decide what was cool.

In addition, I’m bothered by so many people calling her trampy and trashy, and a slut. You do realize that she’s actually led a relatively normal life, has had success in multiple arts, write many of her own songs, and has been engaged to the same guy for a long time (relatively speaking for a 20 yet old), and works tremendously hard? Her performance was pretty lousy, but it was creative, and it’s a OG DAMN PERFORMANCE! Do you think Lady Gaga regularly wears face mesh and meat dresses? Hell, Robert Plant is on record as saying that most of their act was ripped off from old blues guys, and they were not much like that in real life.

I think most of this is coming from old harpies jealous of a young, successful, good-looking girl, and it’s shameful. Why do people think that once they get to a certain age, they have to act like humorless assholes?

But what’s the evidence that she’s headed for anything like that? Sticking out her tongue and rubbing a foam finger on her crotch?

I’m not sure I’d consider her sheltered. I do agree that she came across as desperate to look like a grown up.

Heh. Lot of posters here clearly have forgotten what they were like in their late teens and twenties, brains swamped in sex hormones and a sense of being immortal … SDMB does have a tendency to sound like an Old Biddy Club on sexual topics at times …

I’m way old and let me just get up from my rocking chair and say none of the dancing and prancing in a flesh colored swimsuit bothered me in the slightest. What I found profoundly disturbing was the randomness. WTF - teddy bears? Foam finger? Why? Why that and not, say, dinosaurs and propellor beanie? Why not unicorns and mardi gras beads? Who thought that teddy bear and dumb foam finger and all those screeching people and backup dancers thrown in would be a good idea?

1. Do (did) her peers, her fans, her age group think it was a great performance? I haven’t read anything positive, only that old farts don’t remember when they were that age blah blah blah - oh yes, I do remember. But again, did anyone admire that odd display of WTF?

2. What was with the tongue??? It was lolling out like a big fat white worm. I found that so offputting, I couldn’t be bothered by anything else. Srsly. It was embarrassing and gross.

Her recent song is on rotation during the scant times VH1 plays videos these days. And part of their weekend countdown. I don’t think her management put an age cap on trying to sell albums.

I don’t think that’s especially analogous these days. Pop culture today is partially about staying hip or cool or even validating “child” hobbies like video games and partying well into your 30’s and beyond. Adults are being sold a line that single and free and acting like you’re 19 is perfectly reasonable and acceptable if you’re 42. Without passing judgment on whether that’s good or not, pop culture has invited all of us to sit at the table, even the ancient 35 year olds.

Well then she deserves to be called out on it. Her job was to entertain us.

She also built that bridge with her bare hands, dragging each timber from across the valley. But do they call her Miley the Bridge-Builder? Nay…

Look, this was the face she chose to present to a large audience and so this is the face she’ll be judged by, just like everyone loved her when she was playing Hannah Montana. Welcome to show biz.

Pretty? That’s a big stretch, my friend.

I think the tongue is just a thing she does, independent of that performance. Seems like some kind of nervous/self-conscious gesture to me. At least it is when I do it.

I’m a little bit surprised, because in so far as I have any awareness of the doings of teen pop stars, I was under the impression that Cyrus had been keeping it fairly clean. This is in marked contrast to Spears, who started in on the whole “I’m a total slut but no, really, I didn’t mean that and I’m still Disney squeaky-clean” act when she was about 14.

I don’t care about the music, not into bubblegum pop, but she is what she is. A cute, sexually awakened, kind of slutty exhibitionist. She posed topless at 15. Yeah, it was from behind and a classy, artsy-fartsy Annie Leibovitz shoot, but it still made her look sexual and she wanted to & was proud to do it. So the moment she hits 18, boom, she lets out her inner-whore. With gusto!

As long as so doesn’t do a Lindsey Lohan who cares? At least she’s not as annoying (i.e. stupid) as Spears…

I think she’s begun to change (especially if it’s true that her recent ‘hip injury’ was a cover for an extensive and intensive cocaine rehab stay) but in the past, yes, she wore her funky outfits offstage as much as on, even to the point of claiming she slept in various outfits on a regular basis.
I thought Miley’s routine was just really bad. The choreography was bad, the costuming was bad, the song is not that great and her voice was not being used to its potential.

And she can’t fucking twerk so she needs to either stop or practice in the damn mirror.

Don’t forget the Aging Corollaries:
“Whatever happened to ?"
"
is a misunderstood genius.”
“______ is a genius.”
"I’ve always loved ______ "

If one is lucky (Madonna, Cyndi Lauper), these stages happen in the later half of a career. If not (Heath Ledger, Michael Jackson) it’s a post-mortem process.

I am so so so so so glad my youthful indiscretions came before YouTube.

As others have said, it’s not the raunchiness that bothers me. This is what we expect at the VMAs, and I’m not one of those “OMG someone please think of the children” people. It’s that the performance was so bad. There’s not an ounce of sexiness there. It just makes me cringe in embarrassment. She’s trying to go the Britney/Christina route and she doesn’t have it in her.

The VMAs are still on? How? MTV never shows actual music videos last time I looked.

I have two daughters (we don’t live in the USA) who have followed Britney, Lindsay, and Miley since my girls were 8 years old. They loved Britney until she became trashy and their interest faded.

They admired Lindsay Lohan and repeatedly watched her movies but gave up in sad disgust when she became a train wreck.

Miley Cyrus however was the best of them all. Even my son watched Hannah Montana. Clean fresh funny pop comedy. It wasn’t deep but it worked.

My daughters are now aged 16 and 19. They are meh about the VMA performance but their interest in Miley has evaporated. Lady Gaga and Adele are vastly better performers and my girls look to them these days.

Is it still ok to laugh at the fact that [del]Beetlejuice[/del] Robin Thicke is miffed that Miley’s antics upstaged him on his own song?