Things you're expected to know/do, but don't...

I’m 44. I don’t drive and feel zero need to.

I live in the mountains of Colorado. The County I work in has Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Keystone and Arapahoe Basin. Just a stone throws away is Vail and Loveland.

I HATE to ski. I’m out in the cold and snow plenty as it is thankyouverymuch

Well?

I played trombone in several bands from the age of 10 to about the age of 30 and I have a terrible grasp of music theory. I can count and stuff, but when it comes to notes and chords and keys I suck. I almost always just match the dot on the page with position on the slide. I am actually quite a skillful player and have played the first part most of my life but a deep knowledge of what I am actually doing eludes me.

I’m about the same with my profession, Web development. I can do some amazing stuff with scripts, databases, code and functions but when it comes to understanding the technologies themselves, forget it. I’m a cut-and-paste-and-manipulate-until-it’s-right kind of gal. I’ve been doing this for 20 years.

According to the USDA (USDA Economics, Statistics and Market Information System), 534,040,000 bushels of corn were produced in Nebraska in 1972. The trick is to get a report late enough to not have preliminary estimates but final counts. :slight_smile:

Does that completely answer your question?*

*Librarian humor.

Because I’m a legal secretary, folks expect me to know some law. “Folks” include my relatives and members of the public cold-calling the firm looking for legal help.

No, people, I don’t know any law. My job is word processing, revision of legal documents, getting things scanned, emailed, fed-ex’d, filed, and signed. If I was as knowledgeable as you think I am, I’d hold a law degree and make a lot more money.

The thing is, they’re hoping to get free legal advice from me. They think I possess this knowledge but am just holding out on them.

My second sister is the only Asian I know who doesn’t eat rice in any forrm. If she one grain in her food, she’ll pick it out. And she doesn’t any type of starch with her food unless its specifically part of the offering either (like a side of fries or mashed potatoes). She said she stopped eating it in her early teens because of the taste and primarily because she had some memories of using it as paste when she was young.

When we didn’t have glue or paste available in the house, we’d use mashed grains of rice. Works well on paper or lightweight cardboard.

Same here. I became a librarian because I like to look stuff up and help people find things out. I’ll guide them to “what do I read next” sites, or refer them to someone who I know will have good suggestions.

Because I love & own dogs, and showed for many many years, people commonly ask me ‘do you know where I can get a Shih Tzu/Dachshund/whatever puppy?’ No, I’m sorry. I can usually track down puppies in my preferred breeds because I know other people involved with the breed. But just random breeds? Or even worse… labradoodles and the like? That’d be a no.

And even if I do happen to know one of my show friends that has a litter upcoming, I doubt that they’d want to pay the price from a show breeder.

“You pharmacists must have the PDR memorized!”

(holds up garlic and a crucifix - j/k)

The only thing pharmacists regularly use the PDR for is as a doorstop. It’s fine for laypeople, but it’s biased and incomplete, and I could count on one hand the number of times I consulted it when I was in practice. Those times were to look up excipient ingredients, before the Internet.

You’re from Alaska? Do you know Jimmy Putzucker?

Or: You must love to hunt. Nope, haven’t done that since I was 17 or so.

Dialogue from movies I have never seen.

As a father of seven I seem expected to know pretty much everything. I’m trying to whittle that expectation down to knowing how to find out the answer instead.

You weren’t asking me, but you can count me as someone who (mostly) doesn’t watch TV when you include all the streaming services. Except at least one TV stays on in the house at all times; I just don’t watch it. I will watch something on Netflix rarely but not enough to say it’s something I “do.” The last thing I watched was Cobra Kai using the Youtube Premium free trial. I watched that series in 1 day whenever it came out and don’t think I’ve had any interest in anything else. I’ve tried to watch a comedy special or something here and there. Because I’ve been “on the internet” 25 years I’m aware of just about everything pop culture but I don’t consume it. I know about “Game of Thrones” and “The Walking Dead” or whatever but I’ve never seen them. Could even include movies. The last non-kids movie I saw in a theater because I wanted to see a movie was 8 years ago and I mostly just wanted to get out of the house and hide from my wife. When people talk about movies, tv shows, music, video games that just came out it’s all the same for me - a general awareness but no consumption.

Same for me and my wife. The closest movie theater is 45 minutes away. We will go maybe twice a year. Have no interest in watching new shows. And your suppose to plan to watch them at a certain time to keep up? Bah. We like our movie collection, and older sitcoms. And now, Friday and Saturday night is playing chess, drinking some beers and a toke or two with classic rock in the background.

An odd thing. I learned chess as a child from my father in the '60s. I started playing again on chess.com. My Wife became interested and here we are.

You’re from New Zealand? A rugby man, huh? Go All Blacks! Can you do that funny dance they do?

No. Please go away now.

Hollywood movies or stars. Me :confused:

I think the last Hollywood movie I saw was Glee or some Harry Potter movie, so that was what, 2011? And when my friend was talking about Shia Labeouf (had to Google the name), I said “Oh, I think I’ve heard of her!”.:smack:

I have cable, but the only channels I watch are retro TV, history or food, so I rarely see any current movie trailers. The few network shows I watch are after the fact On Demand.

Now, ask me about Asian (Japanese, Chinese or Korean) movies, I’ve either seen it, plan to see it or at least know about it.

Wait. You can get a degree in printing?

Them: You lived in Japan for 25 years? How was Mt. Fuji?

Me: Hell if I know. It’s a boring climb, I always went on other mountains.

My friend has a MS and PhD in EE, but studied imaging. He has to ask about basic circuits since his BS is in math and he doesn’t do the design work.

It works amazingly well. When I make sushi maki, I mash a wet grain or three of rice to seal the nori and it never comes undone.