Things you're expected to know/do, but don't...

I take it you’re being facetious, but yes, I know about In the Realm of the Senses by Oshima Nagisa. I’ve tried watching it a few times, but find it too slow paced for my tastes.

For a story about star-crossed lovers I prefer the movies based on Chikamatsu’s Double Suicide, in particular the version by Shinoda Masahiro.

No, not being facetious. I’ll look for this Masahiro flick.

Are you going to watch “The Game”? I hope “we” kick ass!
I too am from the Cornholer state.

What comes up the most often for me are celebrities. People are incredulous that I cannot recognize their face, nor can tell what they’re famous for (I often know the names because I overhear them). But I was hardly ever watching TV in the past (pretty much only some detective series and even then once every other month or so), and since my TV died one year ago, not at all. And I promise that if you never watch TV, you won’t know who these celebrities are, either. Yes, they’re in magazines and websites too, but not magazines that I read, nor websites that I visit. The new granddaughter in law of Elizabeth II (I’m also very bad at remembering names) is probably the only recent celebrity that I could recognize, since I specifically checked to know what all the fuss was about.

That said, I surprised even myself recently : some days ago, while I was reading wikipedia articles about popes, I suddenly realized that I didn’t know what the current pope looked like. I’m sure that I have seen pictures of him in the news, but I guess I didn’t pay enough attention to remember it.

I live in NYC. Not knowing how to drive and never having a driver’s license is common here and would not be surprising to anyone.

I have a JD and work as in-house counsel for a company in a fairly specialized field. But to strangers and the casual acquaintances who learn I am a lawyer, I have to fake my way through questions about the legal ramifications of just about everything going on in politics these days, questions about the Supreme Court, plots of movies and TV shows about the legal profession, etc. I really don’t know any more than the average person, often less. I google things.

My Mom never ate sashimi of any kind. I don’t remember when or how I started eating it, it must have have been my late teens/early twenties and now I love it. Probably had to do something with her Dad insisting on it at every meal, along with a whiskey highball.

Also, I once was scolded by a Japanese woman making my sushi at a store (so basically drive-thru level) when I asked for no wasabi on it. Said, “No wasabi?! What kind of Japanese are you?!”. I just laughed as he shook her head. I’ve also gotten strange looks at take out sushi places if the cashier is Japanese when I say I want no wasabi, even on the side.

Not an issue now because I don’t talk about my undergrad studies much, but so many people who heard “linguistics” would immediately ask how many languages I spoke. One, English.

Alcohol. A number of people don’t think you’re a full adult if you don’t drink or know your wines/whiskeys/beers/etc, and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that view expressed here.

LOL. Now I’m fat all over, but I had a beer belly in my late twenties and when people would offer me a beer and I’d decline, they look at my belly and laugh. I’d have to explain that’s all food baby, food! :stuck_out_tongue:

I play the ukulele, and often get asked if I know how to play Somewhere Over The Rainbow. Sadly, they key that it’s in doesn’t even fit my voice.

“Oh, you teach Graphic Design? 'Spose that’s all done on computers now! Har har! Now, I got a big issue with the way compu…” “No, most of the classes I teach, we don’t use computers at all.”

“Oh…” [pushy old guy completely flummoxed, because his well-practiced rant about What’s Wrong With Society Thanks To Computers is completely off the rails] [I slip away while his brain reboots and loads another rant]

I don’t generally have my shit together as an adult and parent. Yes, I can do taxes (though I don’t), and I can hold down a job, grocery shop, make meals, etc. But compared to other parents, I feel woefully lacking in organization, identifying various activities for my kids, and generally inadequate overall as a mom, whereas a lot of my peers don’t seem to have those same concerns, or they fake it a hell of a lot better than I do.

It really drives me nuts and I don’t think I’ll ever NOT feel inadequate, but there you go - I should know how to be a parent and an adult, but I feel like I’m still a teenager.

Yes. Yes I am very tall. No. No I do not bang my head on door frames all the time, because I’m tall, not a fucking moron. And you see this thing between my head and my shoulders? It’s called a “neck”, and it has the marvellous property of allowing me to lower my head to the point where it can pass through a doorway unimpeded.

Hmm. Well you must play basketball then.

What is the weather up there like?

Trifecta achieved. Advance to Level II :slight_smile: