Threads that are sure to end in meltdowns

NAMBLA Is Misunderstood

“I loved that movie/I hated that movie/How could you say that/I’m feeling attacked/Don’t you have any taste in movies?/We could never get along in real life”----These very subjective opinion/strong feeling threads quickly deteriorate and become nasty, even in CS.

Any kind of “I Have a Student Who’s a Complete Asshole” thread invariably degenerates as soon as the chronic Asshole-Defenders arrive to whine on the student’s behalf, no matter what the circumstances are.

“Guests and their shoes: on or off?” The first time I read a thread on this topic on this board, I was amazed at the intensity of the discussion. Not anymore.

OK, Dark Horse Meltdown is the best band name EVER :smiley:

As for the OP, well, you’ve already got some great answers, and I can’t beat any of them :slight_smile:

Oh, yes, I was coming here to nominate the ones about driving etiquette. Good call.

Actually, after the first couple it’s gotten to the point where people start talking about geographical differences right from the get go. As I remember, the first time we did this it took to like page three for people to notice that all the people on this side lived in one set of places and all the people on that side lived in another set of places. It was like a light bulb went on.

“How common is racism in the South, really ?”

“Was the Civil War about state’s rights more than slavery ?”

I think this one can give it a run for its money.

Wha?

You’re kidding-anyone got a link?

1. Gun control

I’m convinced that people on opposite sides of this issue are proceeding from axiomatically different world views, and that there’s simply no way to resolve the debate.

I’m not so sure. Both sides believe that murder is wrong, both sides believe that killing should be kept to a minimum, both sides believe you should protect those you love. So, the primary worldview is pretty similar.

Might it be that it’s the perception (by gun control supporters) that pro-gun people develop an unhealthy emotional commitment to their hardware, and the perception (by pro-gun people) that gun control supporters are cowards (or at least people who opt out of making tough choices) that separates the two sides? Okay, a clash of worldviews, perhaps - but a rather sad and immature clash.

That one about whether or not it’s okay to wait until the last possible moment to merge into a primary lane when a side lane is ending is always good for a straightjacket or two when it makes its occasional appearance.

“Big dog” threads. It doesn’t matter whether you’ve declared them your children or not; some people seem to think that all big dogs are evil and must die.

One of the last “my coworker smells like sewage” threads, while not turning into a meltdown, had quite a few negative remarks direct at the OP – he/she shouldn’t complain about the smelly coworker, since the coworker could have a medical problem…

On the subject of the astoundingly bad assumptions that seem to accompany meltdown threads, I recall one SUV thread in which a poster argued that SUVs are responsible for all the tires littering the shoulders of most interstates. (It turns out that the “tires” the poster referred to were really chunks of rubber from re-treaded eighteen wheeler tires.)

Perhaps I’m being whooshed by Guin here - and if so, congrats - but if not, see my post #17.

I remember that one. Good times, good times.

You wouldn’t happen to have the link to that thread handy? That sounds like the type of trainwreck I’d like to view

Milk in a bar.

And the thread that spawned it.

Whether eating steak well done is unsophisticated. Man, that was a doozy.

/transatlantic flight.

Aww…that wasn’t as funny as it could have been. Shucks.

Thats for the link, BTW.