Three Stooges Trailer Released

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-57339265-10391698/three-stooges-trailer-unveiled/
Thoughts?

I tried to keep an open mind until I saw Snookie. Now I’m not encouraged.

It’s going to be awful. Some things should be left alone.

To remake the Three Stooges it like repainting the Mona Lisa using Janeane Garafalo as the model.

But the truth is that it will probably have a big opening weekend since the target audience, the young people who are the major audience of new movies, have no idea who the Three Stooges were.

The next director who makes a sequel or prequel of a beloved movie or group from the past, should be hung, photographed, the re-hung and re-shot.

Excuse me, there is someone on my lawn I need to chase off.

What happened to Jim Carrey as Curly? I might have watched with him in it.

The problem with this comparison is that it uses the Mona Lisa as a stand in for the original stooges. I think a velvet Elvis would be a more accurate metaphor.

Ok then. A velvet Elvis using Janeane Garafalo as the model.

Now that’s a perfect analogy!

You know, watching that trailer was sort of like getting poked in the eye.

Except for the nun in the swimsuit. I could watch her a lot.

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be some sort of biopic. Then I saw the trailer. Blechhh. Not even my dad, a huge Stooges fan, is going to see this one.

I really hate to say it, but…I think I like it. Their slapstick may seem out of place and time, but this approach seemed to work for the Brady Bunch movie.

Several well known actors were mentioned at one time or another but, for one reason or another, have decided against it; Sean Penn, Benecio del Toro.

It’s sorta appropriate that Larry David is in this one, as a nun.

He played Larry in the Stooges skits on “Fridays” back in the 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo-4p8L0jiY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5zuBE7jpUo

I was prepared to hate it - I was shocked to find I didn’t - ‘Curly’ seems spot on my rememberances of it.

High art? no -

Hilarious art when high? absolutely

As the OP, I’ll throw in my two cents. I have to say, I didn’t totally hate it. Sure, it will never be in the same league as the originals, but it could end up being a fun 90 minutes.

As a Stooges fan, I will probably see this, or at least rent the DVD when it comes out. The guy who plays Moe has the voice & mannerisms almost perfect, and the other two seem pretty accurate as well. Although I hope the plot isn’t as much of a Blues Brothers rip-off as it appears to be.

I have to admit that I grinned while watching that.

I don’t really care for the Stooges, and I didn’t really smile when I watched the trailer, but I’ll be first in line opening weekend.

I’m fascinated. I respect the vision of this movie.

Actually, I think I did crack a smile when they were dropped off at the orphanage.

The whole thing is flawed from the start. There were a total of 6 stooges (7 if you count Emil Sitka, 9 if you count Mousie Garner and Frank Mitchell), and each one had a unique character that was a caricature of himself.

IMO, for a new stooge film to work would require the illusion of a line of succession starting with Moe, Emil, and Curly Joe, and ending with Current Head Stooge, Current Middle Stooge, and Current Third Stooge. The Stooges are dead. Long live The Stooges.

Count me among the crowd who expected to hate it but was pleasantly surprised. Let’s not forget that The Three Stooges weren’t exactly cranking out Oscar-bait films in their day. Nostalgia has elevated them over the years to Comedy God status, but I’m sure they were regarded by contemporary audiences, on balance, with as much distaste as people are showing for this new incarnation. So there’s every possibility this film will be well regarded by Stooges fans in 70 years too.

At the very least, the actors are surprisingly convincing in their roles (even Sean Hayes, whom I didn’t even recognize on first viewing), especially re: the physical comedy. I think this trio is much better than the guys who acted in the 2000 TV biopic, and that film has its fans as well.

On the other hand, I find Janeane Garafalo oddly attractive, so maybe it’s just me.

I laughed.

And that surprised me.

I didn’t hate it, but it’s not going to be good. Looks to have about the same level of charm as the Farrelly Brothers’ other output, for whatever that’s worth.