Tonka (beloved pet) is gone

In March 2013, we adopted Tonka. It had been four months since we’d lost Harvey. We thought it might be too soon to get another cat, but it wasn’t. Mrs. L.A. wanted to get the oldest cat, and the one that had been in the shelter the longest. Tonka had turned nine years old the previous November, and he’d been at the shelter for seven months. Before that, he was in a shelter in Spokane, all the way across the state. He’d lost half of his tail to some accident, and what was left had a knob of bone covered in fur that looked like a pom pom. He had ear mites and eye infections. We were told he suffered from anemia, and that we’d have to give him subcutaneous fluids once a month. He took his ear and eye medications without complaint. He was not anemic. He’s never needed the subcutaneous fluids. He did have asthma though, and it was alarming. Over the years his coughing bouts tapered off. We can’t remember the last time he coughed.

Tonka weighed over 14 ½ pounds, and he could be a little rambunctious. Over time, we allowed him to go outside. He was a bit of a bully. But that went away. Mostly. When it was time to come home, I’d call him. He’d come trotting up with his pom pom tail in the air and his belly wagging to and fro. When I came home from Seattle, he’d greet me in the yard. Later, he’d greet me at the door. In August 2014, Creamsickle adopted us. She may have taught him how to hunt. One day he came walking across the yard with the back half of a large mouse hanging out of his mouth. His meows were muffled as he brought home his prize. I made him drop the mouse, and the mouse ran away. I said Tonka was a bully. A couple of years ago a neighbour down the street complained he was menacing her feral cats. Mrs. L.A. decided he would be an indoor cat, and I built the catio.

Tonka has been a wonderful member of the family. He’s never been a cuddly cat. He never got into my lap until after Creamsicle died. And you’d never hear him purr unless you put your ear up to his side… or if he was eating. I wanted to make him welcome when we brought him home, so I’d give him pets as he ate. After a while he wouldn’t eat if I was nearby unless I pet him first. Tonka was ‘Mom’s Protector’, and I’m sure he saved her life. That’s a private matter, though. He would set up guard in the catio to protect us from raccoons. He liked sleeping with ‘mom’.

We knew Tonka was old when we adopted him. A couple of years ago I noticed how old he was. He was slowing down, and occasionally had trouble climbing up onto a bed. He was losing weight too. Since then he’s become a shadow of himself. Mrs. L.A. would need both hands to pick him up, and she’d grunt. The other day she picked him up with one hand as if he were a bag of feathers. A few months ago he went blind; a cataract in his left eye and a detached retina in his right one. His decline accelerated.

Last Friday he had three bites of pork. Normally he’d beg for more. He didn’t eat his gooshy food. He wouldn’t eat it Saturday either. I did coax him to have three bites of fish. ‘Mom’ got him to eat a couple of small bites of fish Sunday, and he ate some Braunschweiger I offered him later and Monday. He used to love sharing my scrambled eggs. Saturday the smell of them made him gag. By Wednesday he was refusing all food. He spent the day sleeping, getting up and turning around to sleep again, going to his outside water bowl, and sleeping some more. He urinated wherever he happened to be when he needed to.

Mrs. L.A., RN, said Saturday that his cessation of eating was a sign it was his time. She’d had a cat she held onto too long, and she felt guilty about letting her suffer. Tonka’s blindness, his loss of appetite, his weight loss, his inability to find the litter box… All say it’s time for him to rest. And one more thing: When I took Goo in for shots, I mentioned Tonka. The vet said that when he starts going down at the hind legs, it’s time. The last couple of weeks, I noticed he’d been sagging at the rear.

Thursday morning he was hemorhaging at the mouth. The smell was awful. The vet, who had been on vacation offered us a choice: We could bring him in at noon, and she would put him to sleep between other pets, or we could bring him in at four in the afternoon and be with him. When I took Harvey to see her, I thought she’d give him a shot and he’d be fine. I wasn’t there for him. We couldn’t let Creamcicle linger, so we took her in mid-day and she died without us. I couldn’t let Tonka die alone. we took him to the vet for the last time, at four in the afternoon. We were there with him.

I’m sorry, Tonka. We love you.

This should have gone into MPSIMS. Reported. (Sorry, I’ve been drinking.)

I’m sorry for your loss. It sounds like he was a pretty awesome cat, and had a great life with you.

He was a beautiful boy and you gave him the best you had – as he obviously gave back in abundance to to you and your wife.

They do leave the most enormous holes. I’m sorry for the pain you’re enduring now.

It was good that you could be with Tonka at the end. He was a fine cat.

I’m sorry, Johnny.

I’m very sorry to hear that. Tonka was a handsome boy.

I lost my own Nibbler last week. Like you, I am thankful she did not have to die alone. I have had occasional twinges of guilt: could she have held out longer? But no; like Tonka, the signs were there. As much as it hurts, it’s our obligation to minimize their suffering.

Cool cat. Now he’s made one more memory; mine.

I’m very sorry, Johnny. I love black cats, and he was a beautiful boy.

I’ve been a big fan of Tonka since you first introduced him to us. So sorry that he’s gone now.

I’m powerfully sorry for your loss.

May your grief be mercifully brief, but may your memories of sweet Tonka be wonderful and everlasting.

What a beautiful boy he was! I’m very sorry

I am so sorry.

You gave him the best life that you could. Looks like those were very good years.

I am sorry for your loss. You gave Tonka a wonderful life.

I’m sorry you lost your kitty and I hope you have many sustaining memories to enjoy and comfort you.

Here’s a thread on Tonka’s ‘sister’, Goo. Here’s a better picture than the one I took right after we got home.

Goo has been sleeping a lot. Her interactions with Tonka were basically mutual sniffing when they met face-to-face, sniffing his tail when Tonka came in from outside, and swatting at Tonka at gooshy food time (and when she was on the ottoman and Blind Boy wanted to walk by). Cats pick up on vibes, and I’m sure Goo knows that we’re sad.

I am so sorry about Tonka. No matter how sick they are, or how much planning you have done, it still hurts like hell when they leave. I don’t blame you for drinking.

It’s difficult to know when is the right time. When we had to say good-bye to Luc, I came home and found a picture I’d take of him (Christmas time in his elf harness), and I was shocked at how old he looked. That was eight months before we let him go, and I just wasn’t picking up on it as much as I should.

I’m glad you were with Tonka at the end. I was holding Luc in my arms as he was given the two injections. It was the right way to say good0bye.

Sweet dreams, Tonka.

Gorgeous kitty, sorry for your loss.

I’m so sorry. Losing a beloved pet is horrible.