Trashy food

I have put a copy of White Trash Cooking on hold at my library (it’s coming from another town). I can’t wait.

Little Debbie Swiss Rolls are excellent frozen and sliced. I haven’t had any in years, though. Perhaps when I go to the grocery store …

Since any type of casserole seems to be disdained by serious foodies, I am constantly guilty. We love casseroles at my house, especially since I never know when Mr. Stuff will be arriving until 5 minutes before. Casseroles are hardly ever seriously harmed by sitting in the oven on warm.

A favorite is this:

• Press 1 lb. uncooked ground beef into the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
  • Top with 2 cans drained green beans.
  • Top with Kraft cheese slices (I’ve moved up the ladder slightly from my mom’s recipe, which used hideously thick slices of Velveeta).
  • Top with 1 package Ore Ida (brand very important) tater tots.
  • Bake until the ground beef is browned (glass pans are excellent for checking this) and the tater tots are crispy – usually about 1 hour.

So. Good.

I can make Citrus Chicken Tagine, but why, when there is food such as this? :smiley:

In my own defense, while I use a lot of ground beef, it’s raised on our farm, exclusively on organic pasture, and has almost no fat. It would cost an arm and a leg at the store. So there.

oohhhh… I love it too. I could live on the stuff. Or at least try to.

Try it with a little basil.

My Wife, not so much, so I have changed over to basamti rice, and other mixes.

American cheese. Not the stuff in individual wrappers. I get the deluxe :smiley:

That sounds great.

I’ll have to spring that one on my Wife. Surprise!

I also like canned green beans. I really don’t like fresh ones. The texture really turns me off. I could eat a can of grean beans for dinner.

Tater tots are a great subsistute for real potatoes :smiley:

Yesterdays breakfast was smashed up ‘tots’ and thinnly sliced left over corned beaf. I fried it up untill the beaf just got a little crispy.

Chicken flavoured Top Ramen. I eat that stuff way too often. It’s so yummy the way I make it! Before you add the seasoning packet, if you pour the power into a small bowl and mix in an equal amount of sugar, a pinch a salt and a little bit of cinnamon, you get an absoloutely delicious meal. I’m sure most people would find it gross, but I like it. v:)v

Hmm… I don’t really eat that much trashy food. Well, Fig Newtons count, right? I mean, the ones we get are organic and low fat, though that hardly matters when you’re a complete pig and finish off the container in 24 hours.

There are some seriously good recipies in “White Trash Cookin’” And some of the stories the author tells are so funny they will leave you gasping for breath. He reminds me a bit of our own Sampiro.

I learned this in the Fritos bag! Open the Fritos bag, dump in the hot chili, cheese, onions or whatever, and eat it right out of the bag with a spoon! No dirty plates! :smiley:

Underwood devilled ham! I have just rediscovered this! I had some in our “earthquake- holy shit!” supplies in the garage, so I decided to grab some for lunch on saltine crackers. Damn, that was good.

I can’t really justify buying it on my budget, but I love love love Frosted Strawberry Pop Tarts.

Where’s the love for Hamburger Helper?? Man I love that stuff, but I haven’t had any in years. My favorite used to be the Stroganoff flavor with the wavy noodles, followed by the Beef Stew (it had peas and carrots in it so it was much healthier!). I don’t even know what varieties they make any more, as the rest of the family abhors the mention of my beloved HH.

Frito Pies were the specialty at the A&W in my home town. My dad and brother lived on those things. They made them in the bag also, when Fritos came in the shiny silver bags. Dad always got extra onions…and regretted it later!

Currently, my favorite trashy food are those cheap 3 for a dollar luncheon meats. I prefer the grocery store brand over the high class “Buddig” brand. I eat them right out of the package, one slice at a time, or I take a couple slices, spread on some cream cheese and add a pickle spear.

I’ve never heard of Dump Cake, but I must try making one!!! I also love the sliced frozen Little Debbies idea…I think I will also try this with Twinkies.

Slooppy joes (made with Manwich, of course). Mmmmmmmm. And for dessert - rice krispie treats.

I really should be living in trailer somewhere with plastic pink flamingos in the front yard, year round Christmas lights and a car up on blocks in the drive. Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

I forgot to mention McNuggets.

I know, I know, but I love them. With a little barbecue sauce, and you dip the fries in it, too.

Please don’t shun me.

Aren’t they awesome? I eat them with cream cheese-olive dip.

Pickled okra sliced lengthwise and filled with squeeze cheese and then put on a triscuit. I got introduced to this by a friend at a sci fi con, needless to say it is even better when a little drunk.
As for casseroles. By a box mix of potatoes au gratin or scalloped potatoes. Add a can of drained tuna (or canned chicken or cut up hot dogs or even spam if you like), add a small can of peas (drained) or frozen peas and a small can of drained sliced mushrooms. Cook up according to the recipe. Pig out muchly when it’s done. The hard part is waiting for it to cool enough to eat. I have also been known to eat the leftovers cold, it’s still yummy. Sometimes I will switch up the veggies and add frozen chopped broccoli instead but it’s really best with peas and mushrooms.
Is this trashy? I eat my cottage cheese with potato chips.

Not only do they still make the Sroganoff flavor with the wavy noodles (one of my favorites), but they also make it with dehyrated potato slices as well.

Both as yummy as all get-out, as we used to say 'round these parts.

“Sroganoff”?? STROGANOFF!!!..you know what I meant. Admit it. :slight_smile:

That sounds good, too; although I might mix in a bit of Tobasco…I’ll try it, for sure.

I used to start with little pork sausage links, fry them to a crisp, then brown the Rice-a-Roni noodles in the pan grease and proceed as directed. Applesauce on the side. Mmmm. :slight_smile:

I keep bacon grease in a can in my refigerator to fry things in.

[sub]Slinks away ashamedly.[/sub]

I think I can top that. I eat cottage cheese with cheese puffs.

The Sweet Potato Queens books by Jill Conner Browne also have some trashy food recipes, though I’ve never gotten up the nerve to try any yet.

I was coming in here to post that I liked Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, but y’all have out-trashed me. That never happens!

I have to echo some of the items mentioned here: Hamburger Helper (Stroganoff and Zesty Italian), Rice-A-Roni (4 cheese and rice pilaf), sloppy joes, tater tots, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese… mmmmmmmm…

Pardon me…
Rice-A-Roni is “The San Francsico Treat” and should be spoken of with respect. Remember those old commercials showing it served at all the fine restaurants on Fisherman’s Wharf?
What?
Not true?
Oh.
I loves me some store brand rice-a-roni.

I generally saute scallions, green pepper and celery in butter before adding the rice. Really great.

I’ve also added a drained can of beans during the last 5 or so minutes of cooking to make an easy rice and bean dish.