Trolls R Us redux [Now the argument clinic]

Haha, that’s such a good burn because no one ever says “maybe leave the right wing blogosphere” or “maybe watch something other than FOX news”. So it’s totally not true that both sides do it.

Toys R Us still exists in Canada. Come visit (once you’re allowed in)

Uh, that’s the point. “Both sides do it” is something Damuri says, even though both sides are not the same.

If there’s any failure, it’s that we do actually sometimes tell people to check out news sources other than Fox/OANN/Breitbart/NewsMax.

jimmyjoeraybubbabob graces us with his august presence:

Of course he has zero affiliation with them, so his motives must be on the up-and-up!

Oh darn, 3 posts in and he’s already in a bit of a kerfluffle, so he’s likely not long for this board. Oh weel.

Do you mind? We’re trying to have a conversation about damuriajashi and (to a somewhat lesser extent) DemonTree here.

That one’s been ramping up the garbage for awhile now.

…Eww.

That alone should be enough. I am surprised that post hasn’t already wound up hidden due to too many reporters. I will now do what I can to change that (i.e. report it).

It’s already misogynistic garbage to talk about a politician’s pubic hair as if it’s important, but the “cloaca” bit makes it unambiguous trolling.

They should not be still around.

(And another lovely Discourse annoyance, requiring me to go back to the thread to actually quote the post. When I quoted @Skywatcher’s post, thought it made sense to turn that into a raw URL link that didn’t even get converted into a box.)

Remind me: is this something lissener did before? Following my policy* of not linking trolls so they find the thread and hijack it, I’ll just describe what happened.

Velocity made a thread asking if you can make a documentary that doesn’t mention the racism of a known racist figure would have to be racist. He wondered if a non-racist film has to call out racism. People mostly said yes, as long as the figure was known for being racist.

lissener came in and claimed that people regularly called films misogynist even though they depicted the misogynism as bad. I said I’d never seen that (as did other posters), and he doubled down on it. Another poster asked for evidence, and just linked films with misogyny in them. He never actually gave any evidence that people were okay with it. The same poster pointed that out, and lissener claimed it was up to other poster to find the evidence.

I explained why that wasn’t the case. That, since we don’t believe it happened, we can’t find any examples. He’s the one who claimed it, so he has to provide the examples, or the only possible conclusion is that it is not actually common, and he was mistaken.

He then argues I’m just being contrary, have no context for the topic at hand, and just made up a bunch of nonsense that has nothing to do with the conversation he was having.

Only then did I start to have a familiar feeling, like he’d tried this nonsense before whenever people called him out on movie-related things.

It’s disingenuous arguing, of course, which is why I’m putting it in this thread. I loathe that tactic of making up stuff that didn’t happen. But does anyone who actually remembers the guy beyond his name remember if he pulled this trick often?

Heck, I seem to remember he may have been Warned or suspended over it.

I guess it’s what I get for kindly welcoming back a poster while daring to disagree with them.

*Didn’t bother with the previous post because someone had already linked it.

You can observe the two-step rule for links by placing backticks (`) around the URL. The backtick is also known as the grave accent and is usually found near the top-left of the keyboard.

For example, typing this:

I think **lissener** is trolling here: `https://boards.straightdope.com/t/can-a-biopic-of-a-racist-person-not-be-racist/928475/8`

will produce this:

I think lissener is trolling here: https://boards.straightdope.com/t/can-a-biopic-of-a-racist-person-not-be-racist/928475/8

Somebody can follow this link by manually typing it out, copy-pasting it into the address bar, highlighting it then dragging it to the address bar, or highlighting it then right clicking it then clicking “Open Link”.

~Max

Cool idea. I thought about using URL shorteners, but thought they might be against the rules, but I didn’t think of just having the URL in plain text. I even know how to do that without the code box:

https://boards.straightdope.com/t/can-a-biopic-of-a-racist-person-not-be-racist/928475/40

And that is the correct post that put me over the edge. Though you really need to read all of his contributions to the thread get the whole picture.

Isn’t lissener the one with the Vehoeven fetish/bugbear? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Yep, Showgirls in particular.

Oh, I had forgotten the Showgirls bit. But was he involved in the Starship Troopers discussion?

What I thought I remembered was just him responding to requests for cites by claiming it was the other person’s job to find them, insulting them, and moving the goalposts. The way he responded to me and @k9bfriender felt very familiar.

I don’t actually remember the specific topics he did it on, other than it being film related.

He also has a habit of seeing insults from others where there weren’t any.

That as well, yes.

lissener is banned from talking about Verhoeven on the board, IIRC. Maybe we don’t poke him over that.

I thought it was a temporary thing. But in any case I didn’t @ him, so I don’t think it qualifies as poking.

Fair–and Miller sez whatever the topic ban was it doesn’t apply in the Pit, so lissener is free to tell us all what moronic philistines we are.