Trolls R Us redux [Now the argument clinic]

Am I being trolled here?

Don’t know EastUmpqua from Adam, but I am starting to think that it’s not a normal confusion here. They are either monumentally stupid or being entirely disingenuous.

I don’t really like just making such an accusation, but it really doesn’t seem as though they have any interest in doing anything other than being confrontationally disagreeable.

That’s not trolling. EastUmpqua clearly didn’t read/comprehend post #8 before responding to your post #17. That’s on EastUmpqua.

You posted an unnecessary wall of text. That’s on you. If you hadn’t jumped to the conclusion that EastUmpqua was trolling or monumentally stupid, you would have realized that you only needed one line:

“I was only talking about tipping for extra shit under the table”

~Max

It has taken me several days and many back and forths for me to have come to that conclusion, that’s not exactly “jumping” to a conclusion.

I did not think that my response was unnecessary, I thought that the poster in question genuinely had a question as to why paying someone for extra unauthorized work was a problem, why it was any different from tipping for good service.

But, if you are chalking it up to a lack of basic reading comprehension on their part, I suppose I can accept that too. Maybe just careless and a bit stupid, rather than monumentally stupid.

Then maybe you’re right. I don’t feel like looking up your conversations myself so meh.

~Max

Ah, so lack of reading comprehension and a bit of jumping to conclusions on your part then, eh?

Sure, I’m a lazy dude sometimes.

ETA: Unless, by “several days and many back and forths”, you only mean that one thread. Because I read all of that.

~Max

Wait, the Sloppy Joe guy? I thought he was anti-Biden because Biden is not liberal enough. I recall him being a Sanders fan and lambasting Ossof’s campaign in Georgia because he wasn’t for the Green Deal. Or in other words he’s attacking Biden from the left.

Or did I get that wrong?

Who the fuck is the “Sloppy Joe guy” you’re all talking about?

Manwich.

Missed an opportunity there, you could have linked to the product.

~Max

Oh, that one. The guy who REALLY doesn’t like Amanda Gorman’s poem. What other crimes has he committed, and what does he have to do with Sloppy Joe’s (that’s a restaurant chain, innit?)?

I missed that post. Whaaa, that’s disgusting. And the name of the product also.

We have a sizeable and still active thread currently discussing this particular American culinary tradition :slight_smile: .

What’s the opposite of a whoosh? I thought you were poking fun at the misplaced apostrophe. That is, “Sloppy Joes” are a food; “Sloppy Joe’s” is something owned by a Joseph.

Well, I think it was a whoosh on my side, I thought Sloppy Joes was a restaurant chain, not a food, so that’s why I wrote it with the apostrophe.

There is a bar with that name. Ernest Hemingway hung out there.

That’s the only thread that I’ve recall ever having an interaction with this poster.

It took place over several days and several posts. Which was my point as to why it would not be jumping to conclusions, that, after several days and several posts, I then came here to ask if anyone else sees this behavior as trolling. Pretty much the exact opposite of the conclusion that you had jumped to that I had jumped to the conclusion that he was trolling.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Maybe I’ve misunderstood him (Manwich). I see him as a bog-standard far-rightist concern troll who’s schtick is complaining that he’s worried that Biden isn’t nearly lefty enough. All elected Dems are shills for worthless centrist Wall Street, the Dems need a real communist in charge; yeah, that’s the ticket! … etc.

Maybe he is sincere, a wannabe Bernie Bro from down under. But he trips my “all disingenuous BS all the time” trigger. His command of American style, idiom, and culture is suspiciously good for someone who’s not living here. Even a US expat would be sounding quaintly “off” unless he’d lived here in the last 3-ish years and gone thorugh the culturo-political Cuisinart with the rest of use.

Admittedly I get fooled by trolls a lot around there and you may well be right to take him at face value. I admit to doing the eyeroll skim once he get’s going monopolizing a thread. So I certainly haven’t read every pearl of wisdom he’s so thoughtfully laid out for us.

I know him mostly from this thread, in which he comes across as a radical, US-hating leftist. Since that thread, I’ve payed as little attention to him as possible, so I can’t compare what he does elsewhere.

Poe’s law goes both ways sometimes.

I’ll agree I can’t tell for sure if he’s a flaming lefty or a conservative troll playing a caricature of a flaming lefty.

I lean towards the troll end, but it’s hard to tell.

Either way, they don’t really contribute much if anything of value.