Twenty Years ago this week, the greatest thread in SDMB history was started

There may have been other discussions which made the internet rounds as well… Scylla’s Blimp story is one… but for all you “new” people, those who haven’t been around all 20 years, just enjoy the living hell out of

I put this in CS because of:

1. Topic
  2. Reach

Yes, this technically can be an ATMB thread, but my goal here is to highlight the creativity and history of this Board to the widest audience. Thanks!

This one?

Both are fne threads.

I have a link in favorites of a thread named Watershed Moments in SDMB History from '02 that has links to other even older threads with links to Great Moments-- that are even older. A lot of history here.

Well? We’re waiting!

:wink:

Oooh and, and-- the switch that our beloved TubaDiva orchestrated links that I thought were gone forever.

Off the top of my head, I recall

A thread about shooting (I think) a goat from a cannon.

A thread about a food label that says, “This turkey was killed with a sharp knife.” Or something like that.

A thread about a big, spherical, metal thing that was rusting away on a campus campus.

Too late to edit: The switch restored links.

One “greatest” thread that comes to mind is one of this board’s greatest unsolved mysteries: 14 k of g in a f p d

Ah, I remember it well. I spoofed E. E. “Doc” Smith and Mercedes Lackey in that thread.

I really should mackdonna handheld shoehorn butterhorse.

I’m not sure if the “who is that guy in the picture with Johnny Carson?” thread rises to the level of legend, but it certainly gripped my imagination for weeks.

To me, there can only be one greatest thread of all time;

Deciding not to be humble, I submit my own thread about the Alan Sherman song- Camp Granada- and “Ulysses” -

Mind you, there are quite a few better posts. Such as indeed the post the OP mentioned- Scylla’s Blimp story.

A pit OP after a poster had tried a new diet pepsi flavor- had me laughing too hard. The rest of the thread is not great.

That one guy who said “BRB, trying shrooms”

… and brb’d with comedy gold

I always thought it was this one

I think the best thread I ever read here started with a post on Dec 24 about what you’d do if your child was trapped in a burning car and you couldn’t get them out. I think the first response was:

“Whoa! Merry fuckin’ Christmas, dude!”

and then another was:

“Shoot him right between the eyes. It’s the only way to be sure.”

I loved the Sampiro threads, Woman, behold thy Daughter is probably my favorite.

I also liked the one about answering the door weilding an 18 inch long dildo, but I can’t find the thread =(