Valentine's recommendation for a fledgling relationship?

Ooooo, that’s a good idea! Thanks!

One Perfect Rose

A single flow’r he sent me, since we met.
All tenderly his messenger he chose;
Deep-hearted, pure, with scented dew still wet -
One perfect rose.

I knew the language of the floweret;
‘My fragile leaves,’ it said, ‘his heart enclose.’
Love long has taken for his amulet
One perfect rose.

Why is it no one ever sent me yet
One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it’s always just my luck to get
One perfect rose.

• Dorothy Parker

:smiley:

Get her a nice bouquet of flowers (roses are nice, but any bouquet will do). You can re-acquaint yourself with her particular preferences and likes later, but for now, Valentine’s Day with a new girlfriend that you want to show affection for should include flowers.

What a horrible thing to say. The gift itself that early in a relationship shouldn’t mean squat as long as it was given thoughtfully and isn’t something offensive.

I would be absolutely thrilled to receive a token gift that’s given thoughtfully, as opposed to nothing on valentine’s day.

That is an awesome idea! Awesomely awesome. Even better if it includes a corny pun.

Go with this, please. It illustrates perfectly that you care enough to take the time, but respect the moving slowly, elementaryness* of it all. It’s a great idea.

*Shut Up. It IS a word.

This is about the sweetest thing I’ve ever heard.

I thought of carrying her books home from school, too.

And though I do love flowers, I think Dorothy Parker has a point.

Does Hot Wheels make a limousine, do you suppose? Indeed, they do.

Meet her after class with one perfect rose and a limousine and ask her if you can carry her books. One candy heart (surely her diet would allow that much?) would be the coup de grace.

I would not mind nothing on valentine’s day; I might feel a bit pressured by a gift early in the relationship …

A teddy bear would probably end things there and then.

Something old, something new, to show you’ve both grown up and still remember how you were together. Don’t get too stuck in the past; you’re different people now. The card, with memories perhaps, and maybe a reference to something you used to do then that has a ‘grown up’, complementary feel to it. Old and new music? A new visit to an old restaurant of the type you used to hang at? And yeah, small is good. Small is perfect; if you go with the flowers, just go with one store-bought, or 3 hand-picked. (Or stolen off lawns, hehe).

Last night I let slip to my new/old girlfriend that I was planning to show up after her class on Monday. As much as I wanted to surprise her, I couldn’t bear the thought of her going through the day thinking I wasn’t going to do anything.

Then this morning she said “you’re not going to get me flowers or something, are you? That would be really sweet, and all the other girls in class would probably go ‘awwwww,’ but it would be embarrassing!”

I told her no, I wasn’t going to get her flowers. Note the plural there. :smiley:

Based on her response, she REALLY wants flowers. I was going to suggest having her favorite take out meal waiting for her, so she didn’t have to deal with cooking when she got home. Of course, I’d bring more food than she could possibly eat by herself, just in case. :slight_smile:

Contradiction in terms.

So an 18" IBDHJD is right out, then. (search the archives)

Not if you sincerely think the person might like it. :slight_smile:

(I didn’t have to search the archives…what has this place done to my general knowledge?? :eek: ;))

i have most of it figured out, but what do the “I” and the “J” stand for?

18 inch ice blue double-headed jelly dildo.

Get her flowers, fool! :slight_smile:

Dong.

The operative word was Dong. </pedantic>

:smiley:

Ok - thanks!

:wink:

I’m pretty sure the OP said in one of his other threads that she already had one of those. They did date in their early 20’s.

It may be too late already, but I just had to share my story.

About two years ago, I met and started hanging out with this guy, pretty much just as friends, although there were some occasional touchy-feely flirtations here and there. After a couple fits and starts, we dated for a couple months last spring. Then I got the “I’m really busy right now” text and understood that it was off for some reason and I was back in the friend zone. Had never kissed or slept together or anything like that.

Flash forward to this past month, where we’ve reconnected after both of us having gone through some mid-life crisis stuff. We are now seeing each other again, and this time, with nudity! Penis ensues! Yea!

But we just reconnected a few weeks ago, and a few hours ago, I said to a cow-orker “Gee, I guess it’s too soon and too ‘relationshippy’ to expect a Valentine today; I guess we’re both pointedly ignoring it.” And I was fine with that.

So I’m close friends with a coworker and her husband. He called me a couple hours ago and asked if I could let him into our office building so he could surprise her in her office with a V-Day gift. I was happy to do this, got the call that he’s in the parking lot and headed for the door to let him in. My friend’s husband also happens to be very good friends with my new lover, so imagine my delight when I opened the door for my friend’s DH and right behind him, saw my flame walking toward me.

He surprised me with a V-Day card and a flirt break from work. Made. My. Day.

He is *so *gettin’ some action tonight. :wink:

So you dated for a few months and never kissed…but since reconnecting in the last two weeks have been bumping uglies pretty consistently.

What changed?

Technically, we “hung out” for a couple months. Turns out,

A) He was into someone else at the time, who apparently dumped him at some point in the last 8 months; and

B) Six months ago, he had a major health crisis that could very reasonably have made him think he would die or end up a drooling rutabaga, either of which would have put a damper on any new relationship he might have wanted to start or rekindle.

Meanwhile, I moved on and dated someone else. While I was off doing that, his health thing was resolved with no lasting ill effects after all and then my relationship started circling the drain. I told my BF to move out the same day I went to go hang out with my friend after his surgery. Had no idea it was on at that point. We saw each other a few more times, which sped up the demise of what I had going on.

Basically… the timing was much better this time around. We both managed to free ourselves of whatever held us back in the first place, right around at the same time.