Veterans Day and "thank you for your service"

Good to know.

[quote]
Whatever you do, though. Never ever ever do this shit:

[/QUOTE]

Wow, I had no idea that this existed. It’s not appreciated, eh?

R. Kipling felt the same way in Tommy.

I usually say, “thank you” or “happy to do it”. It may seem weird to thank somebody for thanking me, but it works for me. :slight_smile:

Not at all.

[quote=“Bear_Nenno, post:40, topic:801187”]

Whatever you do, though. Never ever ever do this shit:

[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure how I’d react if someone did that to me. Maybe a wave or something.

LOL, my son is active Army, he went in with a four-year degree but opted for non-com as they were offering a $15K bonus and forgiveness of Federal loans over a four year period…his MOS is 35G, a squinter, he has not yet deployed, and if he did, he wouldn’t be outside the wire…he told me the first time someone thanked him in public while in uniform, his thought was, “Thanks for paying off my loans…”

My uncle and a close family friend have PTSD from the horrible conditions they were subjected to in the conflicts they were deployed to. I would not dream of asking a veteran what they did, because I know how awful it could have been for them and I wouldn’t want to cause a total stranger to go there. (I wouldn’t ask a friend or a relative either.)

If someone is wearing a hat that says veteran, I will thank them respectfully, and maybe a little tearfully. (I’ve got a lump in my throat just typing about it). Knowing what my uncles who served in Vietnam went through coming home, I want every veteran to know that they are appreciated.

Now if we could get the government to treat our veterans with the respect they have earned, our appreciation would be much more obvious to our veterans.

I give a polite smile and a nod.

What I really want to do is explain they have no idea what they are even thanking me for, and rather than hurl an empty phrase at me I’d appreciate them quietly voting in a way that reduces the number of wounded vets, or at least improves the condition of the ones we have. For my part I try to keep my service history to myself so I don’t have to struggle to not be an ass about it.

I tell them “I didn’t do it for you. I did it to kill the Nazis”

Then I stare off into the distance silently until they walk away.