What -exactly- is wrong with Peter Pan?!

Yeah, I think he’s odd, but harmless. If it gives him joy to dress and act like Peter Pan, then more power to him. Lots of people dress and act in ways I would not, and vice versa. It’s just one more ingredient on the gazpacho of life.

And I also want to concur that America has the most diverse population in the world. I’ve traveled in Europe, Asia, and
Central America, and nowhere have I seen a nation with so many people of different races, religions, and sexual orientation getting along.

A professor of mine likes to compare it to a stew - each ingrediant retains some sense of identity but also picks up the flavor of those surrounding it.

Oh for chrissakes. How sanctimonious. The guy IS a freak, by definition (though I’m not gonna whip out the ol’ M-W here). I reserve the right to titter behind my hand - particularly since there’s little chance I’ll ever run across him in person. I mainly think it’s funny how he takes himself very, very seriously. Sorta like a bald guy with a combover. Think they care what I think? Obviously not.

Am I gonna seek him out to Peter-Pan-bash? No. More power to the guy if he’s living life on his terms. I don’t support any actions against this guy, but I’m not going to get all assed up because someone else thinks he’s a freak. He IS a freak, and he clearly loves being a freak. So what?

I have no problem with “cherishing a child-like spirit.” It think that can be a valuable part of life.

I’m a little more suspicious of the “minimal inhibitions” part, because, in my experience, inner-child devotees are never too particular about which inhibitions they minimize. I have really no problem with, for instance, people who dress differently. And hell, I still play video games and watch cartoons. Don’t see anything wrong with that.

But a parent who abandons spouse and children with no alimony to go on a voyage because he feels constrained (an actual story from an ex-boyfriend’s childhood), gets no sympathy from me.

I find that the more positive aspects of child-like behaviour are rarely, if ever, adopted by these people – questioning everything, for instance. The first inhibitions to go are usually those that bind us to some form of social responsibility. I have so far heard the inner-child argument invoked in support of apathy about the environment, an unwillingness to pay taxes, and a refusal to live up to our responsibilities to those around us. In short, it tends to be a rationalization for gross selfishness.

If my own recollections of childhood are correct, the playground is a place of despots, where might makes right, and other people’s needs are ignored. It comes as no surprise to me that as the inner-child idea, under its many names, grows in popularity, our societies, too, are becoming like despotic playgrounds.

When I looked at his website, it made me smile/laugh, so that’s a good thing. Do I think the guy is a bit freaky, yes, but I also think he is happy, harmless, and lucky. He found someone to share his fantasy with him. What are the odds? This guy should play the lotto. I’ve got nothing negative to say about PPM.

I’m sorry, live and let live, I’m ok you’re ok, and all that, but that guy’s short on postage. He’s got some serious issues that need to be addressed.

I will admit that his girlfriend has a nice set of tinkerbells though.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Peter Pan is not a Disney character! PETER PAN IS NOT A DISNEY CHARACTER!

James Matthew (J.M.) Barrie (1860-1937) wrote “Peter Pan” in 1904 as a play (published in book form in 1912 as Peter and Wendy). Disney did its famous animated adaptation in 1953.

And, for the record, Winnie-the-Pooh is also NOT a Disney character, either - the books were written by A.A. Milne (the first of four in 1926), and Disney did its adaptation of “Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree” in 1966.

(Yes, I’m a certifiable Disney freak, but there are some times where I must simply draw the line.)

Esprix

Oh, and yes, I do realize he’s basing his look on the way Disney portrayed Peter Pan. But Peter Pan is still not a Disney character.

Thank you.

Carry on.

:smiley:

Esprix

Historically, this is not altogether true, to a certain extent. Yes, today America has a wide variety of races and cultures living together. BUT…

How many European immigrants changed their name to be more “American?” I know my family did. How many wouldn’t allow their children to learn their native language because they wanted them to be wholly “American?” How many Americans of European descent today can tell you about their cultural origins in any meaningful way? People who came here from Europe were eager to conform…to become American, and leave their past behind.

I’m speaking about the European migration because that’s what I’m most familiar with. But I doubt the Africans who were brought here as slaves were able to retain much of their heritage, either. They were given a new religion and a new name. It’s only recently that their decendants have sought to claim their heritage properly, AFAIK.

We have a wide variety of skin color here, but culture? Not really. The beautiful thing, though, is that if you DO want to be different, you’re more than welcome to.

Argh, I started to reply before you added your qualifier, Esprix. I did want to point out how different Disney’s characterization of Peter was from previous representations:
Take a look at Peter Pan Peanut Butter and Apples. Here’s a still and a publicity shot from the first movie, which Disney elaborated on.

Myself, I’ve had the impression that Barrie “borrowed” Peter Pan from Kipling’s “Puck of Pook Hill”, so my image of Peter is coloured by that.

While we’re on the subject of Disney vs. Original, I hate that Disney has made Alice (of Wonderland) into a blonde. Ick.

I suggest you use a synonym:

sport(spôrt) n. A plant or an animal, or part of a plant or animal, which has some peculiarity not usually seen in the species; an abnormal variety or growth.

That way, you can exclaim, “What a sport!” and we’ll all be happy. :wink:

I don’t think ANYTHING is wrong with Peter Pan. Is he a freak-maybe. But who said being a freak was bad? He’s got a great sense of humor, major confidence, and also he’s devoted to good causes.

He doesn’t take anything seriously, and he laughs at himself, and he sounds like a pretty neat guy. Although the hair cut isn’t too flattering, I must say.

But seriously, we’re just like, hey-cool! He’s amusing-and he knows that. I think we’re laughing with him. I must say, people like him are what make life interesting. I think it’s more-this guy is a freak-and we love him for it!
And I’m glad he found Tink. It’s cute.

I’m with you–this is beyond “individuality” or “self-expression.” This is into the realm of “needs psychiatric help.”

Actually, I don’t think he takes himself too seriously.

I’ve read on his page a lot-yes, you can laugh, it’s okay, I laugh at me too. He’s just having fun.
Oh, and his rabbit is really cute.

Oh god, Scylla–BHWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Is he a nut-yeah, maybe. But he’s not hurting anyone. He’s an eccentric. When I get old, I’m going to dress in period costume 24/7 and to anyone who says I’m stupid can kiss my ass.
(actually, I’d be willing to bet he’s highly intelligent, rather than stupid. Many of your really intelligent people are rather odd).

Done and done!

Okay, the guy’s a bit weird. And weird isn’t necessarily bad. The only thing that bugs me about his site is this:

Casting women as Peter Pan had nothing to do with sexuality issues. It had to do with needing a performer reliable enough to play the role five or six nights a week and twice on Sundays. Mature, adult women are more reliable than immature 14-year-old males (and there are few young boys with the experience and confidence to play the lead in a Broadway play). It had to do with the primitive flying rigs, which could be VERY uncomfortable on men! (One wrong move and the actor could lose one of his “boys”!) Flying rigs are better-designed and much safer nowadays.

As for PPM’s intelligence, he says his “day job” is computer programming.

**Scylla wrote:

I’m sorry, live and let live, I’m ok you’re ok, and all that, but that guy’s short on postage. He’s got some serious issues that need to be addressed.**

Gee, Scylla, where and when you get your degree in psychology?

Scylla,
Learn it now. Do not diss Peter Pan. Peter Pan is the embodiment of all that is good and right in this great country. He is a perfectly normal man and is in no way in need of any sort of counseling/help.

I’ve been down your path. It gets very ugly. Easier to nod and agree.

Zette

hmmm, I didn’t think they actually got hot enough to melt things.

I loved Peter Pan until I found out the part “belonged” to a woman, both on broadway and film. And Robin Williams playing him in his Mrs. Doubfire accent didn’t help remove the gender confusion.

I want Peter Pan to be just a plain boy, like he was when he was a book.

How do we get that Pan back? Innocence doesn’t get unlost. :frowning:

Or at the very least learn that the fact that he is doing something like that probably puts him in a better state of mental health than you. You have the serious issues with stuff like that and should probably see a psychologist about it. Not the other way around.