What if Trump wins the 2016 presidential election?

There’s a big constituency for that here.

I think candidates tend to say outrageous things if they think they can’t win. If they *really *had a genuine chance of winning, they’d suddenly tame their language.

President Lisa Simpson mentioned it in “Bart to the Future”:

He’ll secure the Mexican border?

You think he’d last that long? He’d hate being president, because no one would actually do what he wants.

Fastest military coup you ever did see.

(Oh, what? If I could always predict the future, I’d be on a trading floor.)

Yes, I’d fully expect our foreign relations to go to shit, because the man cannot bite his tongue to save his life. Best case scenario is America loses its standing and reputation in the global community, our allies quietly drop us, and we’re largely devoid of influence on the global stage. Worse case, he starts a war because he calls some VIP a bimbo, and when called to apologize, doubles down.

It’d be every single dystopian story, novel, and movie ever created come to life.

Folks, we’re talking about giving Donald Trump a real army and nuclear weapons to play with.

I predict he’ll be launching air strikes by week 2.

Most likely against France.

A lot of these comments sound precisely like what I heard in 1979 regarding “What if Reagan wins the 1980 presidential election?”

Yeah, and look at the majestic regal gala parties he threw – inauguration, re-inauguration, even his splendiferous funeral!

Yep, he was supposedly a “shoot from the hip cowboy” who couldn’t be trusted with the country’s military.

And there are 200 Marines from the Beirut barracks in their graves to prove it.

I said “maybe”, and it is in the realm of possibility.

in theory it is possible…
Hey it ***could ***happen

I would say stranger things have happened… but I’m afraid someone would respond “Cite?”

And Clinton, and W, and Obama. The elder Bush is the only one I don’t actively remember the same things being said en masse. I’m sure I just missed it. The difference this time is the amount of similar comments coming from within the targets own party.

The Apprentice would take on a whole new angle.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11060462_837497436328470_2810244645277371209_n.jpg?oh=3ad67ac8d949fac0c69f10b762bfa56f&oe=564A44D6

This is what the White House will look like one year later.

So, their jobs would become more luxurious? That DOES sound like Trump!

That term is being used by white supremacists to cast non-racist whites as race traitors. It’s disgusting.

Those marines were in Lebanon as part of a United Nations peacekeeping operation instigated at the request of Lebanon.

Is US participation in UN peacekeeping efforts supposed to be a bad thing?

I mean, you’re referring to Reagan here. You don’t have to look hard to come up with military adventurism during his administrations. Grenada? Libya? Nicaragua?

If a President Trump would limit military engagement to involvement in a UN Peacekeeping force then I would think many Dopers would be quite relieved.