What matters to you in a relationship?

Something someone said in this thread gave me the idea for another…
Many people want certain things when going into a relationship. Others don’t care in the slightest.

What matters to you when looking(or even if not looking)?

I have listed a lot of things that may or may not matter when looking to be in a relationship with someone. Nobody has to fill it all out , but I do wish you’d take the time to fill out a couple about what really matters to you.

Does Money make a difference on who you choose to be in a relationship with?:

Does Looks?:
Does Height?:
Does Intelligence?:
Does Common sense?:
Does Religion?:
Does Race?:
Does Gender?:
Does Employment?:
Does Job Type?:
Does Body size (Weight)?:
Does Education?:
Does Family? (as in, does it matter if your family or their family doesn’t like you or them or what not?):
Does Age?:
Does Nice eyes?:
Does Taste in Animals?:
Does Having a Car?:
Does Taste in Music?:
Does Distance?:
Does Disablity?:
Does Humor?:
Does Romanticism?:

Does Money make a difference on who you choose to be in a relationship with?: I suck with money.

Does Looks?: Well, they’re nice. Personality is what gets me.
Does Height?: I generally like tall men.
Does Intelligence?: It matters somewhat.
Does Common sense?: This matters more to me than intelligence.
Does Religion?: No, as long as he understands that I’m not a religious person.
Does Race?: Nope.
Does Gender?: Yep.
Does Employment?: Well. . . I’d like to be in a relationship with someone who is employed, so I guess so.
Does Job Type?: As long as his title isn’t “Drug Dealer,” not really.
Does Body size (Weight)?: Not much.
Does Education?: Not much.
Does Family? (as in, does it matter if your family or their family doesn’t like you or them or what not?): I’m close with my family and am pretty sure that I wouldn’t BE in a relationship with someone that they didn’t like. At least my mother/brother and sister- we all like pretty much the same KINDS of people, so I probably wouldn’t be attracted to someone they didn’t like anyway.
Does Age?: I wouldn’t date someone under 21 or over 35.
Does Nice eyes?: Nope.
Does Taste in Animals?: Taste in animals? I do eat meat. :stuck_out_tongue: I like pets, and I’d rather be with someone who likes pets.
Does Having a Car?: Since it’d be pretty much impossible to live where I live without a car, yes. In a city with decent public transportation, no.
Does Taste in Music?: Nope, but I like music and would rather be with someone else who does.
Does Distance?: Very yes.
Does Disablity?: I’m not sure, never really thought about it.
Does Humor?: Funny people are the best.
Does Romanticism?: Hmm… some, I guess.

Does Money make a difference on who you choose to be in a relationship with?: Absolutely not.

Does Looks?: Not really (Honestly)
Does Height?: Nope
Does Intelligence?: This means something to a degree. I’d be afraid we might not communicate well or otherwise have much in common if we didn’t share a certain amount of intellect.
Does Common sense?: Nah, not really.
Does Religion?: Only, If my religion matters too much to the other person.
Does Race?: No.
Does Gender?: Yes.
Does Employment?: No.
Does Job Type?: No. I might have problems relating to certain professional types, but I’d give it a go.
Does Body size (Weight)?: No.
Does Education?: No.
Does Family? (as in, does it matter if your family or their family doesn’t like you or them or what not?): Yea, to a certain degree. But I wouldn’t let it stop me.
Does Age?: Yea, I set my parameters from 24-40.
Does Nice eyes?: Bonus if she does, otherwise it’s not a hangup.
Does Taste in Animals?: I’m severely allergic to cats but love all animals.
Does Having a Car?: Not an isssue.
Does Taste in Music?: No, I like most music and what a person likes in music is what they like…just hope they can tolerate my Cult and Danzig affliction.
Does Distance?: Have Love, will travel.
Does Disablity?: I can usually look beyond that.
Does Humor?: Yea humor is important to a degree…again it goes to compatibility.
Does Romanticism?: I really need romance, so yes, it would make a difference.
Sorry if this is bland, but I’m really pretty easygoing and very little would be a dealbreaker, honestly I haven’t met a woman, or a person for that matter, that I haven’t found something good about them to like once I’ve got to know them.

I’ve been happily married now for quite a while, but this was my list when I was looking. Fortunately, I got all of them.

Nope.
Does Looks?: To a small degree.
Does Height?: Nope.
Does Intelligence?: YES. YES. YES, I SAID YES. Sorry, Molly Bloom moment.
Does Common sense?: YES.
Does Religion?: Eh… yes. I don’t think I could be involved with a fundie of any sort. I’d always prefer an atheist/agnostic/generic-doesn’t-give-a-shit.
Does Gender?: Yes… female [genetic or trans] is what I’m attracted to. I adore men, but I’m afraid I have to say I’m a dyed-in-the-wool lesbian.
Does Employment?: Yes. I don’t want to support anyone fully, and I don’t want to put anyone in the position of being a total dependent on me.
Does Job Type?: Nope.
Does Body size (Weight)?: Nope.
Does Education?: Not formal education, per se, but knowing things and wanting to always learn more counts very much.
Does Family? (as in, does it matter if your family or their family doesn’t like you or them or what not?): Nope, as long as said person can accept my happy estrangement from mine.
Does Age?: Nope. Well, not true – I prefer older women.
Does Nice eyes?: Hrm. Nice as in kind or nice as in pretty? Either way… I guess a little.
Does Taste in Animals?: Yep. Love me, love my PeTA-embracing ways.
Does Having a Car?: Nope.
Does Taste in Music?: A little? Music is pretty much played 24/7 in my house. It’s an important thing to me.
Does Distance?: Nope.
Does Disablity?: Depends, I guess. My wife [girlfriend/lesbian cohabitant/partner in waffle making, whatever] has multiple sclerosis, and I’ve never had any issue with that, but I can’t lie and say I’d immediately hook up with a severely disabled person. I wish I could give a completely staunch “No” to this question, but that wouldn’t be honest.
Does Humor?: YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. Did I say yes? YES.
Does Romanticism?: Eh… a little, perhaps.

I’m married, definitely not looking, but I can tell you what matters to me in a mate.
Yes. Being financially independent is important.

Does Looks?: No. It’s certainly nice to have an attractive spouse, but it’s not a requirement at all.

Does Height?: Kind of. I typically like men taller than me, but since I’m only 5’5", that’s usually not a problem.
Does Intelligence?: Yes.
Does Common sense?: Most definitely.
Does Religion?: Not really, although to be honest, I’m not sure I’d be able to spend my life with a religious zealot.
Does Gender?: Hmmm, I’d say yes. Though I’m not 100% on that one.
Does Employment?: Not really. Being financially independent is important, but not necessarily working. If my husband were to hit the lottery, he could lounge out by the pool all day long for all I care, as long as he can pay his bills.
Does Job Type?: No.
Does Body size (Weight)?: Yes.
Does Family? (as in, does it matter if your family or their family doesn’t like you or them or what not?): No.
Does Age?: Yes. At my age now (assuming I were single), I wouldn’t date anyone younger than 24 or anyone older than 55. Although I couldn’t say for certain on that one either.
Does Nice eyes?: No.
Does Taste in Animals?: Not really.
Does Having a Car?: No, as long as transportation wasn’t an issue. (Meaning he had other means of transportation that didn’t include either being picked up or dropped of by me or borrowing my car.)
Does Taste in Music?: No.
Does Distance?: No.
Does Disablity?: Not really, assuming all requirements above were met.
Does Humor?: Yes.
Does Romanticism?: A few years ago I would have said no to this. Having been spoiled rotten by a romantic husband, I now have to say yes.

Does Looks?: Yes.
Does Height?: Not really, although I prefer freakishly tall women.
Does Intelligence?: This is prob. #1 on my list
Does Common sense?: See above.
Does Religion?: Sort of. If their religion interferes with our relationship, then I imagine it would become a larger problem. I have no problem with moderate religion. Zealots and fundamentalists need not apply.
Does Race?: Not a whit.
Does Gender?: Very yes.
Does Employment?: As long as they can pay their way (not for EVERYTHING) but generally, no.
Does Job Type?:See above.
Does Body size (Weight)?: Somewhat.
Does Education?: mmm…not really…I’m more concerned with intelligence.
Does Family? (as in, does it matter if your family or their family doesn’t like you or them or what not?): Of course, I would like to be liked by her family, but it doesn’t matter THAT much to me.
Does Age?: Yes.
Does Nice eyes?: Can I say medium?
Does Taste in Animals?: No
Does Having a Car?: No
Does Taste in Music?: Yes
Does Distance?: Yes
Does Disablity?: Yes
Does Humor?: not so much…as long as they laugh at my jokes. Interestingly, I’m also attracted to girls who hate my jokes.
Does Romanticism?: Yes.

Does Money make a difference on who you choose to be in a relationship with?: Well, the two of us combined have to be able to support ourselves, but beyond that…

Does Looks?: Not really…once I’ve fallen for someone they’re the most beautiful person I’ve ever met, and I’ve never met anyone I felt so unattractive I couldn’t fall for them.

Does Height?: If it did, I wouldn’t keep falling for 5’4" girls. I’d prefer someone a little closer to my height.

Does Intelligence?: Well, dumb as a post would be bad, but as long as we’re able to hold a conversation…

Does Common sense?: To an extent. Again…dumb as a post bad…but ‘a little ditzy sometimes’ is kinda cute. >_>

Does Religion?: To an extent. I couldn’t be involved with someone devoutly religious or condecendingly atheist, but aside from that…

Does Race?: Not at all.

Does Gender?: Well, I’m attracted to both sexes, but I emotionally attatch to girls a lot easier, so…to an extent, although not a great one.

Does Employment?: Not really.

Does Job Type?: Not at all.

Does Body size (Weight)?: Nope.

Does Education?: No, not really.

Does Family? (as in, does it matter if your family or their family doesn’t like you or them or what not?): Well, if my family didn’t like them, that would be problematic, since I want to maintain my relationship with my family. If theirs didn’t like me, that would depend on their relationship with their family.

Does Age?: As long as they’re legal, is all good.

Does Taste in Animals?: If they didn’t like cats, that could really be a deal breaker.

Does Having a Car?: Nope.

Does Taste in Music?: Not really…as long as there’s some overlap (and there’s almost guaranteed to be), and they don’t inflict anything I actively dislike (a very small list) on me…then all is well.

Does Distance?: No. I keep telling myself it will become a deal breaker, but…it never is.

Does Disablity?: Never come out…don’t think so, though.

Does Humor?: Yes. If we can’t joke with eachother, then things aren’t going to go well.

Does Romanticism?: Not really, although it’d be nice to be in a relationship with someone on the same level as me. For once. (And, happily, it looks like that’s happening!)

Yes, only in that I cannot afford to support someone other than myself. As long as they can support themselves with their job, I don’t care how much they make.

Does Looks?: Not so much anymore, but when I was 25, youbetcha

Does Height?: I prefer them tall, but that doesn’t mean I couldn’t fall in love with a short man with a big heart.

Does Intelligence?: Very, very important. I don’t suffer fools well, and I like a guy who is sharp enough to challenge my ideas and opinions with logic, reason and, sometimes, a bit of humor.

Does Common sense?: It would help

Does Religion?: As long as they don’t harshly judge people of other or no religions, no

Does Race?: No

Does Gender?: Yes, they have to be male

Does Employment?: I’ve never dated someone who didn’t have a job, but I would consider it, as long as they were somehow able to support themselves.

Does Job Type?: No

Does Body size (Weight)?: Not so much, but it depends. I couldn’t date anyone so large that it incapacitates them. I love to hike, camp, travel, be in the water, so if their weight kept them from activities we could do together, I don’t think it would work.

**Does Education?: ** No, but if they don’t have some college, they’d have to be very well-read and up on what’s going on in the world.

Does Family? (as in, does it matter if your family or their family doesn’t like you or them or what not?): No

Does Age?: I’ll go 10 years in either direction

Does Nice eyes?: No

Does Taste in Animals?: It depends. If they have 20 cats, or take a snake with them to work, or have a loud bird they’re entirely too attached to (think SNL skit), I might have a problem with that.

Does Having a Car?: No

Does Taste in Music?: No country music can be played in my home at any time, under any circumstances. Otherwise, no.

Does Distance?: A warm body is high on my list of priorities.

Does Disability?: It depends on the disability and whether that person considers it a “disability.”

Does Humor?: Humor is vital.

Does Romanticism?: A little romanticism is a wonderful thing, but if it’s over the top, I just get embarrassed–for me and him.

Alright, let’s have a crack at this…

Does Money make a difference on who you choose to be in a relationship with? Nah.
Does Looks? Yeah, a bit.
Does Height? Nup.
Does Intelligence? Very much so.
Does Common sense? Not really.
Does Religion? Yeah, I don’t think I could be with a religious person.
Does Race? Nope.
Does Gender? Yeah, I have a thing for females.
Does Employment? Nup.
Does Job Type? Nah.
Does Body size (Weight)? Only insofar as it affects looks.
Does Education? Not formal education, but it’s nice if we can talk about the same things.
Does Family? (as in, does it matter if your family or their family doesn’t like you or them or what not?) It might make me think twice if my family says that we’re horribly poorly matched, because my family is usually pretty wise in these matters. Otherwise, nope.
Does Age? Yeah.
Does Nice eyes? Sure, but I didn’t know there was such a thing as non-nice eyes.
Does Taste in Animals? Nah.
Does Having a Car? Yeah, they should have one, since I don’t. (not seriously)
Does Taste in Music? Not especially.
Does Distance? Mm… a little.
Does Disablity? It’s hard for me to judge, but probably not.
Does Humor? Yeah.
Does Romanticism? Maybe a little.

I think I did okay. In my mind, though, many of the things that I would find most important aren’t on your list of questions. Was that intentional?

~ Isaac

Like what? I’m curious…

Well, it sounds incredibly banal when I put it into words, but I guess it’s just a matter of compatible personalities. I’ll try explaining better by posing some questions of my own:

Does what they like to do in their spare time matter to you? (Got to be able to enjoy stuff together, in my opinion)
Does their style of conversation matter? (Got to be able to talk in your own code to them - I hold this factor responsible for the phenomenon of ‘clicking’ with another person)
Do their goals in life matter? (For example, do they want to be rich and famous? Do they want kids? Do they want the quiet life, or do they want travel and adventure?)
Does their attitude towards the world and the people in it matter? (Do they shun society or embrace it? Do they care what other people think? What do they make, if anything, of politics, society, and the state we’re in?)
Do their interests matter? (Fairly self-explanatory.)

Phew - that was surprisingly difficult to put into coherent sentences, and I’m not sure that I named everything that I had in mind when I made my initial remark. Still, that’s my best shot for the moment - perhaps I’ll try again later. It’s just that when I meet someone I can usually tell fairly easily if they’re ‘my kind of person’ or not, but I’m having a hard time defining what that means, exactly.

~ Isaac

Does Money make a difference on who you choose to be in a relationship with?: As long as they’re self-supporting, that’s good enough for me
Does Looks?: Tricky question. For the most part no, but I’d probably have a difficult time being with anyone who (for randomly-chosen example) had only one eye located in the middle of their forehead.
Does Height?: Must be taller than me
Does Intelligence?: Not only yes, but hell yes
Does Common sense?: Definitely
Does Religion?: Not really.
Does Race?: Not at all
Does Gender?: Definitely male
Does Employment?: Only in as much as they’re self-sufficient and have a life outside of me
Does Job Type?: No/
Does Body size (Weight)?: No.
Does Family? (as in, does it matter if your family or their family doesn’t like you or them or what not?): Only if he brings his family into our relationship - otherwise, I’m with him not his family
Does Age?: No
Does Nice eyes?: Not really
Does Taste in Animals?:** Sort of - I’m suspicious of anyone who doesn’t like ANY animal - the specific animal they prefer makes no real difference (well except spiders - I couldn’t live with a spider in the house that was there on purpose and I wasn’t allowed to go medieval on it**
Does Having a Car?: Nope
Does Taste in Music?: To a certain extent - that extent being to what degree he inflicts it upon me (if I don’t care for it)
Does Distance?: Yes - it’s not a deal breaker, but it matters
Does Disablity?: It would depend on the disability, to be frank.
Does Humor?: Very much so
Does Romanticism?: Not really.

Does what they like to do in their spare time matter to you? Definitely
Does their style of conversation matter? Only in as much as they’re actually able to have meaningful, sensible conversation
Do their goals in life matter? For a long-term partner, this is vitally important.
Does their attitude towards the world and the people in it matter? This matters to a certain extent - but not a great deal
Do their interests matter? Very much so

Just for curiosity’s sake, let me specify that I’m a 25 year-old man looking for a woman.

Does Money?: Money itself doesn’t matter, but good financial habits do. I’m not interested in anyone who’s going to blow all their dough and beg me for help.

Does Looks?: Would you believe me if I said no?

Does Height?: All else being equal, I prefer taller women, but that’s not necessary at all.

Does Intelligence?: Oh yeah. This is one of the things I insist on.

Does Common sense?: Just like intelligence.

Does Religion?: Nah. As long as she’s tolerant of different belief systems, I’m fine.

Does Race?: Nope. All else being equal, I prefer lighter-skinned women, but it’s not a big deal.

Does Gender?: Yep.

Does Employment?: Yes.

Does Job Type?: I’m a career-minded professional, and that implies a certain set of values that are pretty important. But I also do not live to work, and that’s fundamental. Beyond that, no, I don’t really care about the specifics.

Does Body size (Weight)?: As long as she’s good looking, and there are definitely some good looking women out there who aren’t thin/skinny.

Does Education?: Not so much education per se, but the desire to learn. Having a college or graduate degree is a good indicator of that, but doesn’t guarantee it.

Does Family? (as in, does it matter if your family or their family doesn’t like you or them or what not?): If my family had concerns about someone I was dating, I’d definitely take that into consideration. The final decision is mine alone.

Does Age?: Yep. I’m mostly interested in women who are 25-35, and always have been. When I was 18, that really sucked, but now it’s definitely better.

Does Nice eyes?: I don’t know if I could think of someone who doesn’t have nice eyes. What does that even mean?

Does Taste in Animals?: Nope.

Does Having a Car?: Yes, but around here that’s a non-issue. Everyone has a car.

Does Taste in Music?: As long as she can put up with mine (\m/!), and maybe even indulge me by listening to it once in a while. I’m pretty open-minded.

Does Distance?: Not so much. I can drive.

Does Disablity?: I think so, but I haven’t met too many disabled women, so I can’t say.

Does Humor?: Well, if she’s not laughing at my jokes, she’s probably disinterested, so in that sense, sure. It’s nice if she can crack a joke occasionally (and not the same one every time).

Does Romanticism?: You mean like Lord Byron?

It’s hard to imagine that anyone looking for a long-term relationship would say no to any of these.

The ones that matter to me:
Does Money make a difference on who you choose to be in a relationship with?: Yes. I’ve dated bums, and it sucks big time.

Does Intelligence?: Absolutely. I refuse to dumb myself down at home.

Does Common sense?: Yup. One of us has to have it. :smiley:

Does Religion?: Yup. Dated a religious guy, it was a lost cause.

Does Gender?: Yup. Must be a guy.

Does Employment?: Yup. See Money, above.

Does Body size (Weight)?: To some extent. I wouldn’t want to be with someone who was endangering their health with their weight, or working out too much, or taking steroids.

Does Family? (as in, does it matter if your family or their family doesn’t like you or them or what not?): Yup. Family is a great barometer of who you’re dating - if my family doesn’t like them, there’s usually a good reason. I also considered it important that he come from a fairly normal family, or at least acknowledge his family was crappy and separate himself from them.

Does Taste in Animals?: I have a cat - if he didn’t like cats, it would have been difficult.

Does Having a Car?: Yup. I’m 38 years old - there would be very few good reasons for a guy I’m dating to not have a car at this age.

Does Taste in Music?: Very yes. Music is very important to me, and I would hate to not be able to share that with my mate.

Does Disablity?: It has never come up, but to be perfectly, frank, I would probably have to think long and hard on it. Life with a disabled person would be more difficult in a lot of ways, and that would need to be considered.

Does Humor?: Absolutely.

Does Romanticism?: Yeah, mostly. My husband isn’t the biggest romantic in the world, and it doesn’t seem to matter much to me. He would act more romantic if it mattered to me, though, and that’s what really matters.

Children: That’s a deal-breaker. I don’t want them, never have, and neither does my husband. If he had wanted them, we would have had to stop dating.

Smoking: Another deal-breaker. I don’t smoke and don’t want to live with and bury a smoker.

The same goals: These are very important. If my husband’s goals had been to get rich and live in the biggest house possible, we would have been completely incompatible, since my goals are to live comfortably doing as little work as possible.

I forgot the most important one - how he treats me. A guy can look like Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt’s love child, but if he doesn’t treat me with affection and respect, there is no possibility of a relationship .

Money? I don’t care how much he makes or what’s in the bank, but he should support himself and pay his bills on time.
Looks? Of course! I don’t believe/trust people who claim that looks don’t matter. I can’t imagine being with someone that I don’t find attractive.
Height? This is part of looks. So yes.
Intelligence? Yes.
Common sense? Yes.
Religion? Yes.
Race? No.
Gender? Yes: he has to be a “he.”
Employment? I think so, but it would depend on the situation.
Job Type? Not as long as he doesn’t work for an organization that I object to. But there aren’t many of those.
Body size (Weight)? This is also part of looks. So, again, yes.
Education? Yes.
Family? No.
Age? Yes.
Nice eyes? Not only is this also part of looks, it’s very subjective.
Taste in Animals? It would be good if he likes dogs and cats and stuff, but as long as he doesn’t hate animals and/or isn’t cruel to them, I don’t think it matters much.
Having a Car? Yes.
Taste in Music? Not as long as he has taste (ha ha). But seriously: I’d probably get along best with someone who appreciates many different kinds of music, like I do, but this is another “it depends” thing.
Distance? Yes.
Disablity? It depends.
Humor? Yes.
Romanticism? Preferred, but not required.
What they like to do in their spare time? Yes.
Style of conversation? Yes.
Goals in life? Yes.
Attitude towards the world and the people in it? Yes.
Interests? Isn’t this the same as what he does in his spare time?

I’m kind of picky, I guess.

Does Money make a difference on who you choose to be in a relationship with?: Nope.

Does Looks?: A little, sure. I need to be attracted to them in some physical way.
Does Height?: No, but I’m starting to prefer shorter women when I used to really like taller ones.
Does Intelligence?: Absolutely.
Does Common sense?: Absolutely.
Does Religion?: A little, yeah.
Does Race?: No.
Does Gender?: Absolutely.
Does Employment?: Absolutely. My girl has to have a job, even if its just volunteering or taking care of the kids. I won’t date a slacker.
Does Job Type?: Maybe a little. I’d prefer dating a nurse as opposed to a stripper, or a secretary instead of a grocery store cashier.
Does Body size (Weight)?: Yeah. This goes along with me needing to be physically attracted to the girl.
Does Education?: Not really, as long as I can hold a conversation with her. I’m not the most edjamacated guy myself.
Does Family? (as in, does it matter if your family or their family doesn’t like you or them or what not?): I’d prefer if my family liked her, but I don’t think they’d tell me if they didn’t.
Does Age?: Yeah. I’m 25 and wouldn’t date younger than 22. Or older than 29.
Does Nice eyes?: It would be nice if she had blue eyes so I could pass my recessive gene to the youngin’s.
Does Taste in Animals?: I have a dog and can’t imagine ever not having one for the rest of my life, so yes.
Does Having a Car?: I dated a girl without one for a while. It sucked, but we dealt with it.
Does Taste in Music?: Not a bit.
Does Distance?: Absolutely YES. I’ve made the long distance mistake before.
Does Disablity?: Not so much.
Does Humor?: Absolutely. I’m sarcastic and cynical, and she would have to understand that enough to not be offended. If she can shoot back at me, even better.
Does Romanticism?: Not so much.

Does Money make a difference?: No.
Does Looks?: Yes.
Does Height?: Yes, but there it’s a generous range.
Does Intelligence?: Absolutely.
Does Common sense?: Uncommon is better.
Does Religion?: No, to some extent.
Does Race?: Yes.
Does Gender?: Most certainly YES.
Does Employment?: Yes.
Does Job Type?: No.
Does Body size (Weight)?: Absolutely.
Does Education?: To some degree. (no pun intended)
Does Family? (as in, does it matter if your family or their family doesn’t like you or them or what not?): It’s usually too late by then.
Does Age?: Yes.
Does Nice eyes?: Yes.
Does Taste in Animals?: They have to like beef, chiken, turkey and pork.
Does Having a Car?: Yes.
Does Taste in Music?: Yes.
Does Distance?: Yes.
Does Disablity?: Yes.
Does Humor?: Yes.
Does Romanticism?: Yes.

As opposed to someone who doesn’t realize that his family is crappy? :wink: