What peanut butter (or any ground peanut paste) pairs with, March 2024 edition

Peanut butter, or pureed peanuts in any form, form a versatile, nutritious, and delicious substance. We’ve had threads in the past about what goes good with peanut butter, but posters change, palates learn, and there is always something new being discovered, so here is my 2024 edition of “what is good with peanut butter (or other forms of pureed peanuts)?”

Just the American JIf/Skippy/assorted natural or organic brands (not to mention the pre-mixed combos you can buy in US supermarkets) offers plenty of thread fodder, but I’ll happily look beyond that as well, to any regional traditions (Africa and Southeast Asia, I’m looking at you) involving some form of peanut paste.

So post away. I will start with, “here is my understanding of sandwiches that at least some Americans eat, involving peanut butter, bread, and one or more of these ingredients”:

Jelly or jam, of course - the class PB&J
Mayonnaise
lettuce
honey
bacon
cheese

… this doesn’t even begin to explore what’s out there. Indonesians eat peanut sauce over vegetables; there are other Southeast Asian dishes that involve noodles, some form of ground peanut paste, and more deliciousness.

And my son was recently in Brazil; he brought back some kind of ground peanut and sugar treat, in cylindrical form, that was delicious. I’ve eaten it all so I no longer have a label to tell me what it was.

So, share away. How do peanuts made into some kind of paste taste good?

not just vegetables; sate with peanut sauce is just incredible

Wait, what?

I’m quite sure I eat more peanut butter and more mayonnaise than the average American, but I have never, in my most terrifying nightmare, considered combining them.

Sane human beings do this?

And survive?

We always use Crazy Richards 100% peanuts on our stir fry.
If you don’t stir it you can even use the natural peanut oil that floats on top to fry with.
Other than price I cannot imagine why use any other peanut butter.

Yeah, everytime a peanut butter sandwich thread comes up here, somebody mentions pairing it with mayo. It’s a combo I haven’t tried yet, because I just don’t see the point. Pairing fat with more fat just seems a bit much to me. That said, my “weird” pairing is pickles. Acid and fat makes sense to my taste buds (I suppose mayo has acid, but it’s mostly more fat.) Hot peppers are also quite good with peanut butter (preferably the natural kind without sugar, although the sugared kind works, too.)

Chocolate
Apples
Bananas
Bacon
Jam
Jelly
Buttered bread
Saltines
Chicken, noodles (in Asian dishes)

I’m not into sweets but peanut butter and chocolate pair so well, I sneak a Little Debbie Nutty Bar/Buddy or Reese’s cup now and then. But I enjoy peanut butter less and less as the dish gets more savory for noodles and bacon and whatnot.

I thought of an exception: an American-Chinese eggroll with a peanut butter note and something salty and spicy to dip it in.

Childhood favorite sandwiches: PB and raisins; PB and sliced sweet gherkins.

Creamy peanut butter on a hot crispy toasted English Muffin on a cold morning. For me, there is nothing so comforting or that so much reminds me of being a kid.

A New England favorite: Fluffernutter Sandwich—Peanut Butter and marshmallow fluff

Peanut butter on Boston brown bread, the kind that comes in cans. The combination of molasses and PB is delicious!

PB and banana sandwich on banana bread.

I knew a guy in high school who brought a peanut butter and banana sandwich for lunch every single day for the entire year. EVERY … DAY. LOL

He must have been an Elvis fan!

PB & French’s yellow mustard on crackers, either saltines or Ritz.

I guess I’m still the only one who adds pepperoncini to the sandwich. The oil in the peanuts reduces the heat from the peppers. Banana pepper rings are good also but not hot at all.

Peanut Punch?

I’ve bought bottles of the stuff in southern Florida. IIRC the main ingredients are- water, peanuts, sugar, and caragenan. It is delicious.

Needs bacon in there too to be an Elvis, I think.

Optional, not mandatory:

This one is a real gut-buster:

Ah, yes, the legendary midnight sandwich run. I forgot that was PBJ&bacon. Thought it was peanut butter, banana, and bacon. All of a sudden I want the PBJ with bacon. I’ve never had that,‘I don’t think. Peanut butter and banana was common for me as a kid.