What personality trait of yours can be considered borderline (or more) psychotic?

I’ve made it too.

But I never liked the “its stable wet” thing. Yes it is stable, but that doesn’t mean if if gets a good shock it all won’t go up (matter of fact it probably will). Like, I don’t know…a dry crystal somewhere in the container? :eek:

Me, too except I don’t even need the excuse of holding a grudge. At some point, I just figure out that I don’t really feel like seeing this or that person anymore and stop making efforts to keep in touch. Former classmates, friends, ex-girlfriends, ex-coworkers, even family members. I guess I’m that guy who completely fell off the face of the earth for many, many different people.

The only persons I’ll never walk away from are my daughters.

I think innocent seeming questions and polls like this on the internet are actually part of a data mining effort that is attempting to piece together a complete personality mockup from individual answers to benign questions.

Or maybe I don’t…

In short, schizophrenia is the underlying illness; psychosis is one of the symptoms.

A person who is schizophrenic may not currently be psychotic. Perhaps, for instance, they are being successfully being treated with drugs.

A person demonstrating psychosis could do so due to many things other than schizophrenia. Dementia would be a pretty obvious example of another condition that can cause psychosis. A brain tumour or just being way too tired can cause psychotic symptoms.

I actually WON’T answer some seemingly innocent questions here or elsewhere because I DO believe somebody somewhere can use that info to figure out who and where I am.

Well, that and some false answers just to throw them off.

I like you!

I’ve moved my physical location several times in my life, and have a tendency to fall out of communication with long-time friends when this happens. Several times when I’ve later run into some of these people, they’ve made it abundantly clear that they think I’m a complete piece of shit, apparently for not keeping up contacts with them. I’ve always been totally baffled by this. I’m just not much for writing letters or E-mails. Regardless of how long it’s been, I’m always (at least until their hostility becomes evident) happy to see them. It’s a real blind spot, and the seething hostility I’ve experienced is incredibly disturbing.

I will say that the advent of Facebook has helped a bit in this regard.

Under ordinary circumstances I’m a flexible person. I will give second chances, and often third ones, and for family, even more. But when you cross my tolerance threshold, I am done with you. Completely. You cease to exist to me. I have cousins whom I gave up on 30 years ago. They constantly bug me on Facebook to befriend them. But that won’t happen. And I won’t even spend the time to explain to them. They should know. And if they don’t, that just reinforces my decision to cut them out of my world. There are former friends in the same situation who have also sought me out. Again, I’m done with you. That’s it.

I hated the very idea of Facebook when it came about. Its main selling point to mature individuals was the ability to reconnect with old friends. That’s the exact thing I don’t want. I’m still in connection with everyone that matters to me. A scrofulous pox upon my older son who insists on using it to provide all information on my grandson. lol

Yeah, but taking the definition that strictly introduces a catch-22 (in fact, the original catch-22 situation!). A person who’s truly psychotic doesn’t recognize his or her psychosis, therefore couldn’t report it on a message board (or to the medical officer).

Well, if they aren’t presently psychotic they could. Someone who is currently enjoying a good run with their meds could come in here and admit “I used to hear voices” and such. I have a friend who suffered from such things and doesn’t anymore, and his recounting of when he DID hear voices is frightening and fascinating.

But in general that’s my problem with the thread. What we are getting is a predictably steady stream of people reporting personal preferences - many of them actually quite normal - as “boy, look how crazy I am.” jtur88’s “I’m not terrified of things that irrational people are terrified of” is a rather obvious humblebrag, not a reporting of a psychotic episode.

It’d actually be kind of interesting to hear from people who’ve actually suffered from legitimate psychosis.

But the title of the thread asks for personality traits. Would you say that a temporary psychosis qualifies as a personality trait?

Thank you.

The OP started it. Choosing to work over not working/trying to get on disability hardly counts as psychotic. It just unravels from there.

Yes, I’m a psychiatrist and I speak with multiple psychotic people on a daily basis. I opened this thread thinking “I can’t wait to read what the OP has to say about a particular personality trait causing delusions, hallucinations, or disorganized speech or behavior.”

I identify with a lot of this. Even if it’s someone I love, I will be thrown off and not look very welcoming at all if I see them unexpectedly. I worry that it will lose me the few friends I have.

Me too!

Then I actually engaged my brain and realized the OP meant something more along the lines “generally negative behaviours most humans have but YOU can carry to an extreme and probably socially unacceptable level”.

:dubious:

Pendantic buzzkills

Even allowing for that, some of these examples are odd. The OP said in another thread that she had applied for disability and was turned down (as moat are the first time). How is finding a job after that negative and socially unacceptable?

Maybe I am a buzz kill. Threads like this often devolve into exaggeration and " I’m a special snowflake " territory.

Then move along before you make me mad :slight_smile:

Well, according to the lost cell phone thread, my refusal to return someone’s lost cell phone without a reward qualifies me as a sociopath. So I’ve got that going for me …

Most of this thread seems to be adolescent fantasies of puissance about what implacable revenge machines outwardly mild-mannered posters will become if pushed too far. Ooh, scary.

Well, I have actually helped enable high speed lead particles of moderate size to pass a nearby royal asshole .

Some people just need that kind of personlized treatment to get the message.

I’ve also let a couple of jackasses hoist themselves by their own petard professionally/academically (by manner of me just keeping my mouth shut at the right time and place). Again a couple of royal assholes who had it coming.

My limit is damn high. And it only gets surpassed every decade give or take. But you don’t wanna be there.