What retro clothing would you like to see back?

Good sword canes are very rare-most are absolute crap.

I figured you did. If you don’t mind answering, what is it about them you find attractive? Do you find them sexy or they look cool? Enquiring minds want to know! :slightly_smiling_face:

I associate them so much with religious conservatives that even when I see them on a young woman, my mind says “old”.

Even better: a friend had a walking stick that held a test tube that he could fill with two ounces of Scotch. There’s not much call for a sword nowadays, but Scotch is always welcome.

Indeed, that sounds practical. But why not a scotch and saber? (Or if an English non-drinker, a squash and sober?).

Classic!

Snoods? Yeah that doesn’t look like a fashion that would impress me.

Hooded cloaks though. Yeah. I have one but it’s hard to find an occasion to wear it.

Also denim jackets.

I think hoodies became popular because people wanted cloaks but needed pockets. Prove me wrong!

The double denim look was once popular. I still have a denim jacket, but they are a lot less comfortable than jeans.

No reason that pockets can’t be put in cloaks. And they sometimes are.

I think it’s got more to do with loose fabric sometimes getting in the way, or catching on things. Cloaks are great for comfort, though, and rarely cause problems with fit no matter how the wearer is shaped.

I meant the loose net kind the woman with the blue sweater was wearing. I don’t know why they strike me as cool and classy. But they very much do.

Are low-rise boot cut jeans retro yet? Cuz they’re getting hard to find, and I can’t stand skinny, high-waist jeans.
I have a short torso - high waist pants come up to my bra.

I could smell the hairspray wafting off your picture. Phew! No thank you.

yeah, although one might find individual photographs that look good, I have no desire to see those styles in person again.

That’s the only type I’d ever heard of until this thread. I think you need to watch 1930s - 1940s movies to see them used as actual fashion.

I thought we were friends. :slightly_frowning_face:

I hear they like to travel, but they all kinda look the same.

In the 1980s, you’d sometimes see people wearing painter-style baseball caps. I think they would occasionally give them out at baseball games for free to the first 5,000 or 10,000 people to enter the stadium on certain days. I’d love for them to come back in style. Here’s an example:

Yeah, that’s the only snood I’d ever heard of. And mostly 40s movies would have them. That and turbans. The 40s were big on lady’s turbans.

I don’t know what the correct term is but I would call it a Victorian dinner jacket, for want of a better word. This link shows a statue of Lincoln wearing the sort of thing I’m thinking of. I just think that they’re so bloody cool.

https://www.google.com/search?q=abraham+lincoln+standing+next+to+someone&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiOpJyl-vTvAhWHBt8KHf0iAPEQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=abraham+lincoln+stan&gs_lcp=ChJtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1pbWcQARgAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAA6BAgjECc6BAgAEENQx98DWOH8A2DglgRoAHAAeACAAYIBiAHPBZIBAzAuNpgBAKABAcABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-img&ei=ekVyYI7_GIeN_Ab9xYCIDw&bih=512&biw=360&client=ms-android-motorola&prmd=inv&hl=en#imgrc=mptp21NHTMjtzM

Ah, the dangers of bell bottoms- they always got caught in my bicycle chain. The big velour cuffed ones tended to get caught on the heels of my platform shoes when I was going up the stairs. Quite embarrassing to a 9th grader. They were cold in the winter and let the wind blow snow up your calves. The constant whap-whap-whap on the back of the calf left a bald spot there. Nope, don’t miss 'em!

After the huge bell bottom craze (lesser sized flares lingered for years) had subsided and current with the Qiana shirts, knee-high tube socks came along. I liked those! They felt good and kept the lower legs warm. My favorites weren’t really tube socks because they had standard feet in them. K-mart was the only place in town that had them.

One short-lived fad was fishnet jerseys for guys. I never had a true fishnet one, but I did have a T-shirt made with a much smaller mesh net fabric. I liked it. I guess what I really miss about those days is the body shape I had that let me wear them!

Not for you, Gato.

I miss body suits with hip hugger jeans/corduroys. On girls, fer cryin’ out loud.

That’s a frock coat. Cut away the sides and you get a tail coat. Cut off the tails and you get a dinner jacket/tuxedo jacket.

Check with vendors who cater to plainclothes communities like the Amish. I think a similar style is still in use there.

A lot of older styles can be had if you make them yourself, at least when it comes to knitted stuff. And there are entire pattern books to be had on almost any historical period.

I’d like to see back regular bootcut jeans in a normal length and a regular waistline. I hate skinny ankle jeans and the current high waist trend because it doesn’t suit me.