What song actually makes you shout NO! and change the station?

This one has been my least favorite song ever since it came out, so I agree with the pick but absolutely do not agree with the sentiment that it’s “not actually bad.” I think the chorus sounds bad. Its only saving grace is that the intro sounds fine, so when I hear it come on I have plenty of time to switch the station before the song actually starts to make me wince.

In Sinclair Lewis’ novel It Can’t Happen Here, Doremus Jessup snaps off the radio in disgust, revolted by an all-male singing group called “The Smoothies”.

I feel the same about the following atrocity, which I couldn’t shut off today because it was playing over the speakers at Kroger:

Love me love me
Say that you love me
Fool me fool me
Go on and fool me
Love me love me
Pretend that you love me
Leave me leave me

Yeah, I lieb you honey. Now lieb me alone. :angry:

I looked up this horror and it turns out to be “Lovefool” by The Cardigans, a Swedish group apparently popular with people who felt ABBA was too edgy. :dancing_women: :dancing_men:

It gives me the urge to stomp something, or somebody.

Ditto.

Fucking “One for All, and All for Love.” That swill is bad enough on its own, but I can’t listen to it without thinking of the crappy movie it’s from Yeccch! :nauseated_face:

Oooohh - I’m with you there, sibling.

j

I actually like most of the song previously mentioned; here’s mine.

In college, two of my buddies got shirts made; each one got two large letters covering the entire front of the shirt, one got the letter ‘F’ & a vowel, while the other’s was the last two letters of ‘truck’; they were down the shore walking on the boardwalk when they hooked up with a guy wearing a shirt from a band, the name of which was also two large characters on his chest, with the first of them being the same vowel as the guy with the ‘F’ on his shirt. Yup, that’s pretty much what I think of that band (that I won’t even mention); when their songs come on, I violently change the station to something, anything else.

“Imagine” is one of the greatest sing along songs, but I only ever sing the second line -
♪ Imagine there’s no Heaven ♫
♪Then you’re really fû¢l˂ed ♪♫
{change station}

Aww, c’mon, that song is pure comedy gold - a couple live together/are married, yet are so clueless that they don’t know each other’s likes, then they both decide to cheat, answer each other’s personal ad, walk into the bar & are all, “Awww, it’s you” No screaming, “You cheating SOB!” which at least one of them would do in real life. It’s so out there, that it wouldn’t even make a realistic sitcom episode yet it managed to be a hit that’s still occasionally played today.

I like to sing that song out loud, and give different inflections to the way she says, “Oh it’s you”. :sob: :angry: :nauseated_face: :roll_eyes:

Pretty much anything by Prince. He may have been a great guitar player, but his singing voice was like nails on a chalkboard.

Back in college, I had a girlfriend who loved Prince. I should have ended the relationship the moment I found out. :nauseated_face:

“Oh what a fra-yund we have in Jay-sus…”
The overdone “deep south” accent is tiring.

And here’s an outlier for you all, “Imagine” by John Lennon.
Easy listening tune meets fuzzy thinking lyrics.

My grandma’s church sings:
“There is PAR! PAR! Wonder-workin par! In the blood…of the lamb…”

* PAR=POWER, for those of you who don’t speak Southern Baptist.

Yeah I find the song to be too full of itself. Read the lyrics and it’s pablum. It’s like Cohen is trying to be Dylan but not having the same level of talent.

I detest the type of songs where the tragically abandoned man sings something like, “You treated me like shit, heartlessly left me, and would treat me like shit again if I gave you half a chance, but I would do anything for you to get you back and am dying without you.” That kind of song.

In other words, “Wuss Music.”

Succinctly accurate. LOL

Any of that dreary proto-garage dreck like “Dirty Water”, “Wild Thing”, “Gloria”, or the excruciating keyboard torture of “96 Tears”.

Well said.

How far Lennon had fallen from the sharp, hip dude of his early songwriting days.

That was his brain on drugs.

In a similar vein, “She’s Only A Woman”.

She can kill with a smile
She can wound with her eyes
And she can ruin your faith with her casual lies…
And she’ll promise you more
Than the Garden of Eden
Then she’ll carelessly cut you
And laugh while you’re bleedin’

Poor Billy Joel is so devastated that by the end of the song he’s run out of lyrics and can only hum to the music. :nauseated_face:

Anything by Guns n’ Roses because Axl Rose sounds like a chainsaw with emphysema. Most songs by Aerosmith because ditto Steve Tyler. Exes and Ohs for the same reason again. A few years ago there was some kind of car commercial with some chainsaw-voiced guy singing a cover of Sympathy for the Devil. The only thing that moves faster than light was me hitting the mute or channel change button.

Cruisin’ Together because I used to work at a store where that song played at least once an hour. Ditto Temperature, Dirty Little Secret, and more others than I care to list.

Unfortunately now, anything by Eric Clapton after I found out he’s a massive COVID antivaxxer :frowning:

We used to call that “The Geritol Song,” because it seemed worthy of a commercial.

In my neck of the woods (Northeastern Tennessee) it was pronounced “pare” (rhymes with mare). I can make myself say it as “power”, but I revert to “pareful” for powerful. It hurts my tongue to do otherwise.