What ya smokin' in the MMP?

Since getting my little electric smoker all clean last week, I’m thinking about dirtying it again, but not ribs this time. I’d like to do a turkey - does anyone even sell them outside of Thanksgiving?? I’ll have to look. Or I could put in a couple of chickens, or chicken parts. I did wings once, but good luck finding wings these days that aren’t stupid expensive. Maybe a brisket?

Which leads to my topic of the week - sorta. Do you like smoked food items? Any particular favorites? Anything you absolutely hate when it’s smoked? Are you a DIY smoker? Have you noticed that if you say it enough in succession, it sounds silly: smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke

And so it begins. Happy Moanday!

I don’t like smoked anythings.

I updated my computer to Win10 this weekend. I was forced to give up clinging to Win7 after some of my apps and some websites won’t work without it.

What a faff to get it working, though. Had to upgrade my BIOS, once it was done I had to figure out why my Wacom tablet wasn’t working with it, and today my desktop wallpaper carousel was corrupted. Such a shamozzle.

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffeinated! YAWN ‘Tis 75 Amurrkin out and cloudy with a predicted high of 95 and cloudy for the day with possible rain later on. Cleanin’ lady comes this mornin’. At some point I shall go to Sam;s to gas up twuck and to get some gas for the lawn mowers. Woohoo. Other than that sloth shall prevail. Sup will be leftovers for yestiddy.

I am not a fan of smoked turkey, but smoked any other kind of meat is yummy. One can never go wrong with a brisket or a Boston < snerk > butt! < snerk > I do love my electric smoker and should soon crank it up. Matter of fact, maybe some ribs or chikin for the upcomin’ Amurrkin Labor Day weekend.

BatBoy I hate updatin’ my 'puter. It is always such a PITA.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then, onward into the day! Rah.

Happy Moanday Y’all!

I like almost everything smoked. In fact, I’m thinking about being smoked instead of cremated when I die.

One of my favorite items to smoke is whitefish. Smoked whitefish spread on a bagel is one of the finer things in life.

'Mornin all. Up, sheveled, got my smoothie blended. We’ve, for the past few years, covid excluded, added a smoked turkey to the thanksgiving feast. We do a reg’lar one in the oven and also a smoked one. Pretty tasty. “We” being my local manufactured family.

I have a number of insert thingies for the webber kettle that try to turn it into a smoker, with varying degrees of success. The best is a cone thing I think is called a vortex. Does a nice job with wings or drums.

Now, off to tha shop to build some crap.

Stay safe, all!

We’ve done this also. I lurves me some smoked turkey!!

The only fish I’ve smoked is salmon, and that was for my mom. I’m reluctant to try smoked fish because I feel like the smoke would overwhelm it. I should probably read up on it.

One thing I definitely don’t like is smoked cheese. And if any of you are considering going to Red Robin and trying their pizza, be advised, they use smoked cheese. Or at least they did on the samples they gave us a few weeks back. ick.

Two loads of laundry are on the lines, and the shoes I scrubbed yesterday are back on the porch railing where they’ll get the most sun. I put them there yesterday afternoon, but they didn’t dry. To be fair, it was late in the afternoon, so I can’t fault the sun too much. :wink: Anyway, that chore is done. As soon as the grass dries, we’re going to do some mowage. FCD will drive John and I’ll push El Toro. Good times ahead!

I like smoked pork. I’ve had smoked trout and it was pretty darn good. I’ve also eaten a lot of smoked salmon and it’s okay too. All I need is a little though, otherwise, it all just becomes overwhelming to me.

I was busy yesterday; I washed all the downstairs windows inside and out, cleaned the kitchen, did laundry, tended to my bird feeding station, watered my plants, pulled some weeds, and mowed the lawn.

It’s back to work today and I’m not looking forward to it. Today and tomorrow will be hellacious, but nothing to be done about it but get through it.

I need to boil some more chicken for Polar today. I tried getting him to eat rather expensive canned food, but it was a no-go. That dog is stubborn. I tried to out stubborn him for two days, making sure to leave dry kibble in another bowl just in case he decided he was hungry enough to eat that, plus leaving his canned food there for a few hours. He just refused it. Of course, that meant no doggy ice cream for dessert and he definitely pouted after his woo-wooing did not provide the desired result.

Temps are supposed to be somewhere in the 70s today with a 30% chance of rain. I wouldn’t mind the rain at all.

On Saturday, we’re heading up to the kids to celebrate Zoe’s 3rd birthday. I am looking forward to seeing her, Adam, and the kids, along with celebrating her special day.

I am operating on about an hour and a half’s worth of sleep. I am tired, damn it. I just couldn’t fall asleep and the last time I looked at the clock it was 2:20. I was up at 3:45. I will need to drink lots of water later and coffee this morning.

Morning all. Still debating on mowing the lawn, the army worms have severely slowed it’s growth, but it’s been a couple of weeks and I really should trim it down… And with rain from Ida approaching this afternoon, the time is going to have to be this morning.

Never been one for smoked meat, cant ever remember my Mon or Dad smoking any food, it was bake/broil/fry in our house, so I never developed a taste for smoked meat.

Taters, hang in there and naps are a good thing (long as you remember to set the alarm).

Bat Boy, there is some trick you can do (I’ve long forgotten) to make the screen look like Windows 7; that makes it much more acceptable, IMHO. But yeah, Windows 10…wasn’t.

OK, heading to 8am, need to decide about 9am if I’m going to mow or not. All y’all take care.

This topic has Ruble written all over it - he loved to smoke meats, particularly pig & cow, with some occasional chicken and turkey parts.

He also liked to smoke cigars.

I was in Colorado for the first time last week - I know what they’re smoking there! It was available on practically every corner and the hotel’s brochure rack included a local tour map of said places. And for the record, the only high I got was being in the Mile High City!

I’ve found a few of those things. They change File Explorer, and the Start Menu, restore the Solitaire games, and a couple of other things, to make it more familiar. An exact Win7 lookalike match is not strictly necessary, but the side effect of them is they remove the extraneous crap that incessantly blinks at me, so they are worth it.

I love smoked foods - I’ve started trying to smoke things in my grill using indirect heat. So far, so good, although my briskets tend to come out a little “pot-roasty” because I can’t quite get the temperature cool enough (it’s a gas grill and only goes so low).

So. It’s Monday. I’ve already managed to put my foot in it. There’s an individual on another team I’ve never spoken to who is transitioning and has a gender-ambiguous name. Of course I used the wrong pronoun. I recalled the message after being gently corrected by someone who knows them and resent but to no avail. 'Twas already read. Oh, well - I tried. Sometimes I hate email. Everyone deserves to have the right pronoun used, and sometimes electronic communications makes it way too easy to screw up.

It’s gonna be hot and sticky today, then stormy later according to the weatherperson - or not. They were wrong yesterday, but weather ain’t exactly predictable.

Time to get to work. My budget awaits and I want to get it done and gone because I hate budget season and the sooner I lob it over to the right person, the more quickly I don’t have to look at it for the next few weeks.

I’ve fallen in love with smoked duck. I render the fat out first, by cutting the fat layer and then searing it in a pan with a little bit of water. Save the shmaltz- it’s better than butter for making things like grilled cheese sandwiches. Then smoke the duck for an hour or four (depending on the size of the breast) over cherry wood. It’s fantastic.

I’ll second the smoked duck, but in general, I am a child of my father and a paragon of cheap meat. (Duck isn’t that bad, esp. if you buy a frozen young duck, $2.49/lb or so at my local Asian Market or -shudder- Walmart). One seasonal go-to is to wait until after Easter and buy a bunch of marked down corned beef briskets, freeze, and smoke periodically through the year. Add a bit of fresh cracked pepper and you have homemade pastrami.

But my ‘go-to’ in bang-for-buck cheapness is normally pork ‘country-style’ ribs. Little bit leaner than true rib cuts, but almost always a lot cheaper.

And now that I’m hungry, it’s back to getting myself going this morning before I head out, as Mrs. Lines, who normally makes the morning coffee and feeds the cats is in bed with a crippling headache. To the K-Cup Machine, Away!

Did you find it, um, challenging to exert yourself? Some decades back, I had a training class at the Colorado School of Mines. Going to lunch in town meant a walk downhill, which wasn’t bad, but the return trek kicked my butt! And I was in my early 40s at the time!

Mowage is done. FCD did most of the riding, tho I had to do the side hill. I did all the pushing, and I also drove thru the woods to keep the path clear, and I had to take a couple of swipes across areas that FCD mowed, because grass that had been mooshed down by the tires popped back up. It was wet. He didn’t believe me, but within a few turns around the yard, he had to stop and clear the discharge chute. Sheesh!

And now I’m showered, shampooed, and dressed in clean, mostly presentable clothes. In about 90 minutes, I head down to stay with Roxy while my daughter and SIL go to her OB appointment. Then I’ll swing by Aldi and see if they have any brisket. I may pick up something for supper, too. Or I’ll pull the last hunk of lasagna out of the freezer…

Morning, all!

I left my smoker behind when we moved last. It was a beauty, too. Made out of a repurposed malt drum fitted with side shelves and an exhaust pipe from a tractor. Worked like a charm on just about anything but was mostly used for brisket. But the welds were breaking and being stored outside without a cover took its toll, so it got left behind. Haven’t gotten around to building a new one yet. Maybe after I retire…someday.

Currently ditching a department meeting. Grading work from last week instead. Much better use of my time and energy.

Stay safe, y’all!

I love smoked foods. But right now I feel steamed, since the Heat Index is already 102. Naptime!

Done the morning chores. Bank was busy, they put the drive-in customers (including me) on hold while they dealt with a rush in the lobby, then dropped off a letter and did my Moanday shopping at Publix (finally remembered to take my Publix shopping bag!) and got my sammich. Started home and got train-blocked by a stopped freight, so turned around and took a longer route (bridge over the tracks), headed home and…had to detour around some road construction (to their credit, they are putting merge lanes on a 4-way stop that has been a PITA for as long as I can remember). So finally home, stuff is in the refrigerator and I’m sitting here with my Jersey Mike’s #3 waiting for the rain from Ida to show up (due about 2pm sez the weather wizards).

OW, the Denver/Colorado Springs area is among my favorite places to visit. Never had too much trouble breathing there (well, Pike’s Peak was a bit of a struggle). And yeah, the shops are quite obvious these days.

Onward to the afternoon.

Mooomm I like smoked everything. I think you can find frozen turkeys right now. I think you should smoke a turkey so I can live vicariously.

BatBoy Good on you for holding strong for so long. Windows 10 is a hot mess. I hope everything goes smoothly from here.

taters I hope you find something Polar with eat. I’m feeding my old baby sliced turkey and bread right now. I’m sure it’s not a complete diet, but it’s all he’ll touch.

talky you tried and you care enough to do so, instead of dismissing it. I think that’s a good thing.

We’re scheduled for 100F here. The AQI was about 100 overnight, but today will be worse. I have a migraine and it’s one where it’s hard to word. Apologies if my notes are weird.

Tonight it will be filet mignon and lobster, for my honey’s birthday.

Happy Moanday everyone.

Don’t clean your smoker, ever. Except for the racks, clean them, leave the inside walls alone.

I smoke the devil’s lettuce, and work at a BBQ joint.

'Nuff said.