What's for dinner?

A microwaved bean burrito and salad. I’ll be glad when the countertops and sinks are installed in my kitchen so I can cook something again. harmless’ dinner sounds good…

Macaroni & Cheese - homemade, WW recipe. Yummy.

Susan

The Ukulele Lady wants me to make a new recipe she got from last month’s Cooking Light. Pork tenderloin cut up, browned, and braised with chicken stock, onions and carrots, green olives and halved Black Mission figs.

There’s a lot of spuds around the house, so I’ll probably do mashed potatoes to help suck up the gravy.

And broccoli rabe sauteed with garlic.

Ah, merci! :slight_smile:

It’s a variation on “Burgundy Mushrooms”
I just added the chicken breast.
I’m a lazy cook, so you know it’s gotta be easy. :wink:
Total of two dirty pans, one knife to cut the onion and the fork I use to turn the chicken.

Most of my meals are prepared that way; just throw good tasting stuff in a pan and let it cook.

Good choice. Tonight we’re having the flank steak recipe from this month’s Cooking Light. I don’t remember what’s in it, exactly, but everything in that magazine is freakin’ delicious, so I’m not worried.

Due to our hectic schedules, last night was our “Saturday” I spent all day shopping and cooking, while he worked in his studio. We had:

fresh mussels in sailor sauce with baguette

white gazpacho of fennel. leek and cucumber with lobster salad

roasted garlic custard with sautee of locally grown wild mushrooms and basil oil

seasame salmon with asian slaw

grilled lamb piquant with savory mashed sweet potatoes and sauteed spinach

apricot amaretto creme brulee

Granted, we do not eat this well very often, but I love to cook and the food glow has yet to wear off!

Beef it is what’s for dinner!

Had a little something to celebrate, so I thought it called for a little bit of a speial dinner.

Filet Mignon, marinated in Yoshida’s Gourmet Sauce (a light teriyaki)
Sauteed crimini mushrooms (butter and white wine…yum!)
french-cut green beans, lightly seasoned
baked potato with sour cream

All accompanied by a nice single malt scotch :smiley:

That sounds amazing! Did you just come up with the recipe, or did you get it from somewhere?

In fact, all your dishes sound lovely, except for the gazpacho, and only because I believe, in my heart of hearts, that fennel was grown by the Devil Himself to ruin a good meal.

Are you just a great cook, or do you have professional experience?
And to answer the OP, tonight’s dinner is Grilled Flank Steak stuffed with Feta & Spinach and Steamed Artichokes.

JavaMaven
Alas, the creme brulee is not of my own creation. I had it in a restaraunt in London years back and spent quite a bit of time trying to recreate it. It is actually not as complicated as I would have thought. I used diced dried apricots and simmered them in amaretto until they were plump and chilled them in ramekins. Prepare your custard as usual, I add a vanilla bean, though this is not strictly traditonal (there are as many ways to do this as there are cooks), and pour over apricots. Bake and torch as usual. I cannot tell you how wonderful this is.

As for professional training, nope. I just adore food and read plenty of books and magazines and have worked in the restaraunt business for a few years while going to school.

As for the gazpacho and your dislike of fennel–I simmered it and the leeks in chicken stock before chilling and pureeing. It subdues the strong taste of fennnel and leaves a mellow flavor that is less overiding.

Thanks for the compliments!

Damn, Keturah, I want to eat at your house! What’s sailor sauce? I adore mussels, though it can be hard to find good fresh ones here.

We just had fresh homemade pesto (with basil from our garden) and chopped tomatos (also from the garden) served over pasta. Mighty fine.

If it’s what I first thought when I read it, then I don’t think I’d like it! :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Is it marinara? ([Italian (alla) marinara, in sailor style, feminine of marinaro, of the sea, sailor, from marino, marine.)

Oh. Tonight I’m just broiling a couple of brats.

…nahhhhhh. Too easy.

The pork/fig/olive/pearl onion stew was all right, but not something I’d choose to put into regular rotation.

And man alive, do I hate broccoli rabe. There’s no disguising that bitterness.

But the mashed pertaters were good.

Simmering the apricots in amaretto is a brilliant idea! I would have thought you may have pureed the apricots and added them to the custard, but that would have probably curdled the custard. If I ever go back to being a pastry chef, I’m stealing that idea. :wink:

And cooked fennel definitely does taste much better than fennel in the raw. It does lose quite a bit of the sharp anise flavor. I have had fennel braised in cream that was rather good, so I’m not a total fennel-hater.

Thanks for responding back!

See, I could see figs and pork doing quite well, but not in a stew. Roasted tenderloin with grilled figs on the side sounds quite a bit better.

How do you do your taters?

Cold pizza. You just had to ask on the one night I didn’t cook dinner! Tomorrownight it’s gonna be ginger sliced beef and snow peas over rice.

Stir-fry, a small salad, a baked potato, and a large ice cream.

All right, for cafeteria food.

Microwave Thai Peanut chicken/vegetable stuff.

Start eating, realize that microwave stuff is nasty

Eat a tuna sandwich

While I have been known to enjoy the sailor sauce of which you speak, I am now a grown woman who just cooks!

Sailor sauce as I have known it, tends to be whatever a fishermans wife has around. I used fresh mussels steamed in white wine with shallots,chopped jalapeno and garlic. The mussels I put in the slightly warm oven, and reduced the sauce. Add whole butter, chopped tomato, fish stock , and saffron. Simmer and add mussels. Eat with crusty bread dipped in the sauce. Heaven.

Tonight we had roast chicken, mashed potatos and gravy, fresh tomatos, lima beans, and cranberry sauce.