What's the best canned chili for a chili size?

But i would suggest a can of Packo’s Hungarian Hot Dog Chili Saucewith a Hungarian hamburger (kinda like a cross Between Hunky Mom’s Meatloaf and a welfare burger, damp with kapuszta tomato sauce.) on Rye.

… with mustard.

The only good canned chili is the one in the dump.

That’s a “Toledo Sloppy Jósef” … the European and Germanic root of the proper name Jeshua, could be Josef.

Fasirt… but we braise them in Paprika Tomato sauce and cover them in our proprieary Coney Sauce… Gotta serve the Toledo Sloppy Joe with Tony’s Sweet and spicy pickles.

To be honest, this an “off the menu” item at Tony Packo’s … but easily made at request. I feel so wrong, but it feels so right.

Ummm, This guy Johnny L A and his cooking abilities?

Sounds like good husband material! :wink:

Ducking and running!

BIG TIME!!!

Hiz pal Quasage!

:wink:

Actually, I can cook! It’s just that sometimes I like the old ‘comfort foods’ that come out of cans.

Alas, no one wants a Fat Boring Old Fart™ just because he can cook. It’s the fat, boring old fart bit I need to work on.

Wolf Brand chili is my favorite. Until this thread, I didn’t realize it was regional.

Homemade, I use wick fowler’s 2 alarm chili kit as my starter.

For those in non-Texas locales, Wolf Brand chili is occasionally spotted migrating through Big Lots stores.

It’s on Amazon too though the shipping ($20+ for a case) is rather shocking (says the guy who ordered a case from a barstool last night and just saw the invoice e-mail).

FWIW, Hormel without beans was good on the chili sizes the other night.

I was just about to ask what in the heck a “Hungarian Hamburger” was. Fasirt, ah. Good stuff. (Although I think of it more as meatloaf that’s shaped into patties.) My recipe here in post #2.

Well, a Hungarian Hamburger from Tony Packo’s is “fasirt-like” There’s really nothing quite like it… it’s a unique Hungarian deli dish native to Packo’s. It’s basically a “wet hamburger” not unlike a “size” in a way. The burgers are basically ground beef patties with some binders/seasonings braised in a tomato gravy served with the graavy on rye. With a big spicy spoon of Packo’s Coney Sauce or a ladle of their equally spicy chilli with beans it just gets better…

One of these days, I’m going to have to find my way to Tony Packo’s. It’s been on my “to do” list for several years now, but I just haven’t found myself in the Toledo area.

For canned chili, go with Amy’s organic vegetarian and add your own meat. Dennison’s is second best. Anything else is crap.

Hopefully, they will be around for you to try someday. They are currently embroiled in some family and financial problems. I would truly be shocked if they didn’t pull through, and I can barely conceive of a world without a Hungarian Hot Dog. They are a local icon and institution but I guess nothing is too sacred to fail or sentimental in this Republican induced economy.

Meanwhie, You can get some of their items Mail Order and in certain stores nationwide. In Illinois, their products are available at:

Kroger
Meijer’s
The Fresh Market Geneva, Kildeer, Ft. Wayne, Wilmette, Normal
Honey Baked Ham & Cafe Gurnee, Crystal Lake
America’s Market Wheeling

I recommend Packo’s Sweet Hot Pickles & Peppers. Delish. I also have cans of their Hot Dog Chili Sauce on hand for chili dogs.

Buy a can of Bushes Chili beans, brown some hamburger, add a half packet of chili seasoning, some chili powder and a chopped onion, cover with cheese and hope you don’t have a date later that night.

OK, I’m a little confused. If there’s no meat in it, how is it chili and not just intense soup?