What's your favorite potato chip?

Flavor? Potato. Plain old ordinary potato chips. Flavored potato chips are an abomination and an assault on the soul.

Brand? BiblioCat is right - Utz’s are it. Their wonderfulness is an order of magnitude beyond the others. Perfect texture. Perfect flavor. Perfect degree of greasiness. Perfect amount of salt. And I live where they’re not available, damn it.

Best unflavored chip: Grandma Utz’s Kettle Cooked - no contest!

Best barbecue: Wise - not the honey barbecue, but the regular

Best sour cream and onion: Gibbles (Nibble with Gibbles!) - unfortunately they don’t make that flavor anymore

Best other flavor: Archer Farms Maui Onion and Garlic - available at Target

The wife and I are in perfect agreement here: Pringles! Sour Cream 'n Onion, with Regular a very close second.

Pringles have become the new Coca-Cola or, before them, Standard Oil barrel. A news photographer once told me: “I’ve been to deepest, darkest Africa, and they’ve got Pringles.”

Right now, they’re Shearer’s Salt & Pepper Kettle Cooked Chips. I think they use some kind of opiate and black voodoo magic on them. Or maybe it’s just the MSG, but day-um…

Snacks from Canada The Canadians know how to kill chips. They started with vinegar, then ketchup, then they went crazy. They must be stopped.

Miss Vickie’s Salt and Vinegar.

Lovingly doused with salt, acetic acid, opiates, boiling oil, and more salt.

It hurts to eat them, but I do anyway.

Tie between Boulder’s Spinach and Artichoke chips and their Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper chips.

Favorite flavor: ham. They’re sold in Europe, but I haven’t seen them here.

Shrimp flavored potato chips are also kinda good, but I haven’t seen them outside Japan.

Zapp’s Hotter 'n Hot.

We have prawn cocktail flavour.

My fave is just ordinary plain CRISPS with a sprinkle of salt

I had some extremely good black pepper chips a little while back, as well as garlic-flavored Doritos.

My favorite, though were O’Grady chips, which Lays made back in the '80s. They were like Ruffles, but about twice as thick. I thought they were wonderful, especially the cheddar cheese flavor.

Walkers baked ready salted.

Humpty Dumpty BBQ. So good. So… so good.

Terra, General Tso flavor. If you haven’t tried these, git you sum. They’re relatively new on the market and terrific. Tim’s Cascade regular flavor. Kettle salt & pepper.

Krunchers jalapeno (droooooool).

For the corny variety, gimme some Garden of Eatin red hot blues.

My favourite has been unavailable for years, and even when it was available may have only been so in Alberta: O’Ryan’s Sour Cream and Onion. They were thick ripple chips with a ton of seasoning, and were incredible.

Barring those, Old Dutch Dill Pickle or Ketchup tie for second, the new Lays Spicy Curry for third, and plain Pringles for fourth.

I just watched the commercial on YouTube, and those look an awful lot like my beloved O’Ryans, which also had a cheese flavour. I wonder if they were named different things for different parts of Canada and the US, or if that style of chip was just trendy for a bit. Did O’Grady’s have lots and lots of seasoning powder stuff on them?

Anything barbecue, really. I think my all-time favorites though are the Dakota Style Mesquite BBQ Industrial Strength chips.

Don’t know if Cheetos count as chips, but I’ve always been a sucker for those. Otherwise, either Pringles Sour Cream & Onion or Barbeque Lays.