What's your favorite potato chip?

Once the damn Canadians (/waves fist) bought the Humpty Dumpty potato chip corporation, once located in Portland, Maine, my favorite chip of all time stopped being produced, and can no longer be found:

Sour Cream n’ Clam

“Terra” Sweet Potato chips (that’s chips from sweet potatoes, not sweetened potato chips)

You obviously haven’t reviewed the English Crisps page.
I have a soft spot for Hostess Sour Cream and Green Onion, as I grew up slamming those down, back when the individual foil bags were just folded over the top, and the family bags came with 2 smaller plastic bags inside.

My other favourite is the Tostito Hint’o’Lime Tortilla chips. The jumbo Costco bag is now my single serving.

Oh, I wanna change my answer! Terra Chips, absolutely!

There are so many flavors here I’ve never imagined, much less tried. Roasted Chicken? That sounds…awesome and disgusting at the same time! I’ve never seen such a thing. I’m going to have to keep my eyes open in the import mart!

It’s hard to say what’s my favorite. I like most chips. It’s easier to say what I don’t like – the plain, smooth-sliced regular potato chips, like Utz’s or Lays, absolutely flavorless, yuk. I prefer ruffled or kettle cooked (old-fashioned), but if they are smooth-sliced, they’ve got to have some flavor, like salt and vinegar, or sour cream and onion. Over the years, the standard “barbecue” flavor has steadily dropped in the rankings. Anyway, how is it anything like barbecue?

I have taken a liking to Terra Chips - taro and blues.

Good god, yes. Although I’ve never tried the Spicy Curry (I don’t live in Alberta anymore) and meh on the Pringles.

Another one I really, really like is Old Dutch Taco flavoured tortilla chips. I couldn’t find those when I was home last summer, but Doritos Taco are sold there. NOM.

I agree with this sentiment, but my favorite brand by far is Charles chips.

I know that with the notable exception of Frito-Lay, potato chip makers tend to be regional – around here we get Utz. Back in Ohio, we got Mike-Sell’s and Herr’s. Has anyone ever done a graphic showing the geographical reach of the major potato chip companies?

Everyone should try the Spicy Curry. It’s the perfect mixture of salty, the curry flavour and this subtle heat. Truly awesome. If you want some, I’d be glad to send them on.

Did you ever do that thing with the Old Dutch bag when you were a kid where you put the entire (empty) bag in the oven and it shrank to make a perfect little miniature of itself? People used to make keychains out of them.

Herr’s Salt and Vinegar.

You’re my new favourite. :slight_smile: I’ll just get Mom to send some when she sends out her next ‘care’ package (because one cannot live without Hawkins’ Cheezies and Shreddies). And yeah, I had me a shrinky-dink!

Wise Onion and Garlic. Sigh.

My standard is the generic Lay’s. Thin. Crisp. Salty. It’s the small black dress of potato chips. Goes with anything.

Wavy chips are just too thick.

Flavors are ok for variety, bit give me the basics.

Grandma Utz Handcooked Potato Chips. Cooked in lard to make that junk binge worth your while.

Double sigh.

There was also a steak and onion flavored chip available many years ago that I loved and dearly miss. Don’t remember the brand, though.

Herr’s used to make a Steak & Worchestershire flavored chip that was wonderful.

My “Go to” chip is Wavy Lays Plain, with a jar of Lays Ranch Dip. Did I say jar? I meant serving…yeah, that’s it, a serving. I also love Tater Skins any flavor, and plain Pringles. I don’t like Barbeque flavored chips at all. I like Sour Cream and Onion and the Cheddar flavors, but I don’t often choose them. I hate Salt and Vinegar chips.

O’Grady’s and O’Ryans O’my yes! I remember both of these and they were awesome. Why can’t anyone make a nice, thick chip with tons of seasoning anymore? O’Ryan’s were seasoned so much you often found a little ball of seasoning at the bottom of the bag. Mmmmmmm /Homer.

Hawaiian Sweet Maui Onion potato chips. I was on vacation in San Diego in January of 2006 and discovered them in an Albertson’s store. Bought a whole bunch of bags. Haven’t seen them since, but I sure would love to.

Also, Honey Mustard Pringles. Got those while on vacation this past June, and they were apparently a “limited edition.” It would be really nice if they put them into general circulation.

CLAM!?! I guess we thought we were doing you a favor, sorry.

Favorite is Miss Vickies Sweet Chili & Sour Cream. Yum.

ps. clam?!?