When is the last time you ate at Waffle House?

Where is the choice for “Within the week?”??? :smiley:

Waffle House is a favorite of mine. Probably eat there on average once every couple of months. There are a couple new ones not far from where I live; it’s almost wrong to eat in one, as it doesn’t have that same, lived-in feeling you associate with the chain.

Cheesy eggs, hash browns (scattered, smothered and covered), bacon (yum!), raisin toast. Maybe a steak instead of bacon, if I’m super hungry. Strangely, never a waffle.

For those who think WH is over-priced, yeah, I remember buying a full breakfast for $5, too.

Two decades ago. :dubious:

I just looked to see what IHOP prices were like. In my area (near Charlotte, NC), a waffle combo (waffle, two strips of anemic bacon, two eggs) is priced at $8.59. I can almost guarantee that that’s more than the cost for the same thing from WH; I’ll drop by sometime today to verify.

It was maybe eight months or so ago. My second son is a big fan and we tend to go together. Greasy and yummy.

My list visit was over the summer on a road trip to FL, like OP. Locations vary but the staff is generally very friendly and the food greasy but tasty.

I guess they’re all open 24 hours and I don’t think they’ve changed a lot over the years. Waffle House is one of those things we should appreciate before it’s gone, IMO.

ETA: This was a neat video I watched a while back about a guy who volunteered for a 24-hour shift at Waffle House. Gives you a little window into what Waffle House is about: Working 24 Hours Straight at Waffle House | Bon Appetit - YouTube

I live in the Lafayette area, north of the “Waffle House line”, but have eaten at a WH or two in southern Indiana. I checked the “within the last ten years” option, but it could be a little over a decade since I had the experience. Average food, but my major memory was how dirty the place was.

There are at least two, both within a 20 minute drive from my house.

I eat there a few times a year. The main thing it has going for it is it’s cheap. I can usually feed my whole family there for under $20 including tip. But there’s also the nostalgic factor. Not too many diners of that kind around anymore.

Also I spent a lot of late nights there as a young adult before I learned to have a better relationship with alcohol. Nothing like sugary waffles and greasy hash browns to soak up an excess of liquor.

There are none in California.

We ate there once on a Sunday morning when the line at Bob Evan’s was too long. Don’t think that I will be going back.

The last time was about 6 years ago in Phoenix, AZ. I was there with a work buddy. The lady running the place was a lot of fun fake flirting with me, loudly proclaiming to everyone there that she was going to run away with me a marry me. I’m a skinny white guy and she was an older black lady, so I took it all as good natured ribbing. But then it got just a little more aggressive and just a little darker, as if she was really demanding that I take her away from there. Odd. Never went back.

However, I’m working in Georgia now and go past about 6 different ones on the way to work. I always plan on stopping in one for breakfast some day.

I live right next to Avondale Estates, GA, which is the birthplace of Waffle House, so I’ve been quite a bit. However, not so much lately. I’m not generally a morning person, so my Waffle House jaunts have generally been late at night after drinking. Though recently, I’ve been having some issues with acid reflux so that late night eating is a no-go. The wife will go to WH for breakfast on the weekends every now and then (she wakes up waaay earlier than I do on those days).

Country ham, two over easy, hash browns scattered and covered.

Not great, but amazing.

I love watching the way the cooks and waiters communicate, where you put the jelly or the fork or whatever tells the cook what to make. Apparently no one at Waffle House could read back in the day. Waffle House is a phenomenon.

Find the one nearest you - there are 280 in the freakin’ Greater Atlanta metropolitan area!: https://locations.wafflehouse.com/

It may have been a while, but I always get my hash browns smothered, covered, diced, chunked, peppered and capped.

1994 was the first and last time I’ve been to one of those hellholes.

We have a local Mom & Pop Diner/café that does it much better, so it’s been a year or so since I hit the local WH.

in the late mid 80s we took a few trips to Florida from Indiana and ate at a few they were better than dennys (never go to a dennys in Orlando in the summer …… gulp gobble cold food and go…in 15 minutes )

Also ate at a few whataburgers on those trips and didn’t get the appeal……….

Never. We don’t have them here, and I had to look them up to see that the closest one is in Phoenix.

I’ve never even seen a Waffle House in person. Not surprising given I’ve rarely had the urge to drive to Pennsylvania for breakfast.

I go every now and then. The last time I went, my hash browns tasted like old funky meat gone slightly bad. I think they were just cooked in nasty old sausage grease.

My best Waffle House experience was in high school, when I and some giddy teenage friends stopped there at like 3:30 am after going to Rocky Horror Picture Show. Our waitress was this plump little old grandmother, all eyes-a-twinkle, and when I ordered a slice of pie, she gasped in delight.

“Ooh, I love it when someone orders pie!” she exclaimed. “I get to lick the knife!”

Annnd… CUT!

Okay, people, we have the next Waffle House commercial! Mabel, I’ve gotta say, the twinkle in your eye and the little speck of drool really sold it… it’s totally believable that you’d be licking that knife.

This’ll really bring in that Too Hungry To Care About Hygiene demographic.