WIN 10 Upgrade Questions

1. Will the upgrade installation erase my other data? Other software?
  2. How do you shut off Microsoft from “sharing” which websites you visit?

I won’t be upgrading until after Andy’s funeral. I’ll need something to do, then. Keep my mind off things.

I’ve migrated 2 laptops to Windows 10.

No personal data should be lost.

Most applications will migrate, but some may not due to incompatibility with Windows 10.

When my wife upgraded her laptop, she thought she had lost lots of stuff. But it was a profile issue, and when she logged in, she got a new temporary default profile each time. I gave the laptop a full reboot, and she got her old profile back.

This was exactly my experience.

After I completed the upgrade I logged on with my original username & password. And discovered my files were there but all my program settings weren’t.

Some sleuthing revealed I was running a temporary profile. A full reboot and suddenly everything was back to normal; all my config settings were there.

1. Will the upgrade installation erase my other data? Other software?

It’s not supposed to, and I am unaware of any cases even anecdotally where data or software was lost. However, best practice is always to make sure you have everything backed up before you make changes like this.

1. How do you shut off Microsoft from “sharing” which websites you visit?

Didn’t realize it did share. Where did you learn that it does this? Is it Windows looking at any browser you run, or is this specific to Edge (the new W10 browser)?

I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10, and nothing got lost: settings, files, programs, all were still there. The only issue was that my (very old) version of Photoshop started running very, very slowly.

I did find that you can save a lot of bandwidth by going into your network settings and telling Win 10 that you are on a “metered connection.” Then it thinks you are on some sort of limited-data plan, and it does a lot less sharing of your secrets.

I’ll add that I upgraded three machines from 7 to 10 with no loss of anything.

Go to Microsoft Edge >> Settings >> Advanced Settings

All the way on the bottom, turn **off **“use page prediction to speed up browsing” and “help protect me from malicious sites”

Good so far, and my thanks to you all.
Any other tips, please?

I went ahead with the upgrade last week and decided to return to Windows 7. Windows 7 and all programs returned but all of my emails in Windows Live Mail had disappeared. Fortunately, I had most of the important mail on the Cloud.