You keep using that word. I do not think "abstinence" means what you think it means

You summarize my attitude so much better than I ever could articulate. Thank you!

If the US Postal Service can sue Lance Armstrong after the fact then successfully suing BPal should be a sure thing (like getting sex when you date her). At least Lance did what they sent him out to do. BPal just defrauded the organization.

Given that she didn’t name her most recent fiancé (as well as the last second cancellation of their wedding), this has seriously ramped up the speculation that some other poor sod is the father.

I like how people are citing her online posts where she lectures others about their choices. But don’t lecture her!

She’s also made around $500,000 total from various abstinence groups for lecturing, that we know of. Shouldn’t she return the money?

I read she has narrowed the probable paternity down to the football team and the Coast Guard.

Actually she seems to have now named the ex fiancé as the father! And apparently he’s pumped to be a Dad. Good thing since she doesn’t seem so pumped.

Shameless hypocrite, nothing more. And rich off it, to boot.

These are grave karmic errors, there can be little doubt. Sooner or later everyone sits down to a big serving of consequences. We’re I her, I’d be trembling in my expensive car, home and clothes.

I’m having trouble reconciling the phrase “getting it at the same rate” with “abstinence”. Did I get whooshed, or do we have different understandings of the word “abstinence”?

It was a whoosh, because I seriously doubt she’s getting it at the same rate I was when I was her age. Her birth control method is probably “nothing,” and her failure rate, if you can call it that, is probably about 10%, or about 500 times the failure rate of condoms.

She probably figured it just magically wouldn’t happen to her when she was a teen-- or maybe made a half-assed (no pun intended) attempt as the rhythm method, with all the irregularity of teenagers, and maybe used withdrawal, which works a little better than “nothing,” but only just a little, and is way worse than any other method.

After the birth of her son, she probably made a sincere attempt at abstinence, but she’d already crossed that event horizon, and there’s really no coming back. She failed. She probably really did try, but shew isn’t a teenager, and it was getting a little ridiculous at any rate-- what is she, 24? I was a virgin by choice all through high school (I had offers, but it was a personal decision; I wasn’t ready); however, I sure as heck wasn’t a virgin at 24, two years after I’d finished college.

I actually believe that abstinence is a good idea for teenagers (or, that is, people who aren’t adults-- people still in high school), but I’m a realist, and I think they need all the information we can give them to be able to make up their own minds, including information about the practical use of birth control and how to avoid STDs.

Abstinence-only education never works the way it is supposed to. It ends up being abstinence from birth control, but not from sex itself. That’s what my post was making fun of.

This is a good post.

The failure rate of condoms is much higher. Wikipedia gives it at about 15%:

It was planned, I swear.

“I was never paid to talk abstinence.”

So the new babies’ daddy – is he hot like the last one?
Where can I find his naked pictures on the Interweb?

‘I meant to do that.’

Okay, help me with this: Is what we are doing in this thread and IRL, like laughing at her or calling her a hypocrite or remarking sadly about how negatively she is treating having a child, slut shaming? Because I’m enjoying all of it but realize that there would be more objections if she weren’t already somebody we, as a group, have little respect for, especially because of her mother.

They seem to be quite overt preachy, profiteering, attention seeking missiles. She parlayed being SP’s daughter into a cool mil preaching abstinence, which she’s now using to support her growing out of wedlock family.

All with a straight face. That’s a lot to resist making fun of, right there!

At least we know she’s shipshape in Bristol fashion.

She does the same babbling her mom does:

So the pregnancy was planned, but things didn’t go as planned? I guess she means that she wants more kids, but didn’t plan on having one immediately? I’m guessing someone pointed out how the first announcement sounded, so she either clarified or was forced to sound more cheerful.

Bristol Palin will never learn, since she’s a Palin. But I hope that young men and women reading about this learn that you can plan pregnancies out better with birth control, and that birth control is okay to use, and that abstinence is not a reliable birth control.

I don’t think that most people are slut shaming her. I would think no different of her if she’s serially monogamous or sleeping with half of the town.

She’s being called a hypocrite because she did do pro-abstinence works and PSA’s, including a PSA with the Situation from the show Jersey Shore. And in an interview with Oprah, Bristol said something about not having sex until marriage, and Oprah asked if abstinence was realistic, and Bristol said it was for her.

But also she is a Republican, and so she’s somewhat representing Republicans as a whole and their positions. Many republicans are anti sex education, and anti birth control, and say that abstinence will work if kids behaved and are raised well. So Bristol Palin is a perfect example of how that doesn’t work.

So feel free to attack her or make fun of her all you want. But don’t attack her for having sex, or having sex outside of marriage, or having a baby outside of marriage, because none of those things are inherently bad, unless you subscribe to certain Christian views. And even if you do, she shouldn’t be attacked for failing. Attack or make fun of her for being a hypocrite, and for her attacking other’s parenting, and her judging others, and for her word salad statements she makes.

But abstinence doesn’t, at least not according to some proponents of abstinence-only sex ed. Every other method of birth control can fail, but not abstinence. (I admittedly don’t know if Bristol Palin or the organization she worked for made claims like this)

With abstinence, we also know that, if it fails, it is due to user error (or rape, but she’s not claiming she was raped). If you have problems using your birth control method correctly, it’s not a bad idea to look into other methods that might work better for you.

Nobody can ever accuse her of being a two-bit grifter.

AFAIAC, it’s grifter-shaming.

That’s the probability of pregnancy in the first year of use, for a typical (not ideal) user. Presumably the probability goes down after that, as we get better at it, or have sex less often?

I think it’s funny that there are two numbers for vasectomy: typical use and “perfect use.” What’s the difference, for a vasectomy? I’ve had a vasectomy, but perhaps I’m not using it properly. (It’s been 100.0% effective over 25 years or so.)