Lost 2.23: "Live Together, Die Alone" [Season Finale] Open Spoilers

First, the thread rules:

2 full hours of Lost. How cool is that? Of course, when it’s over that’s it until the fall. There’s a 1 hour recap show on just before this episode— the same one they showed a few weeks ago if anyone is interested (“Reckoning”).

So, Jack (idiot that he is) goes along with Michael in letting him assemble his dream team for the WAAAALT rescue (Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley). Fortunately, Sayid (the only one of them with even half a brain) realizes that Michael has been “compromised”, and it looks like he’ll be putting together a back-up posse. Man, are those guys in for a surprise. In fact, I suspect they’re in for a whole series of surprises.

A rather foreboding title for this episode, no? I wonder who’s going to get whacked… From the previews, it looks like we’ll see another polar bear, and Desmond makes a return appearance— probably in the sailboat. And it appears that Eko is caught in a Lockdown, which seems awfully soon since there was one just a week or so ago. Maybe he’ll be able to make more out of the door diagram than Locke did. Or maybe he’ll “die alone”.

It’s interesting that if you go to the official web site, they’re still playing that one clip from Locke: “Each one of us has been brought here for a reason”. That’s been on that site all season. Are the writers trying to tell us something?

From the ABC “Lost” website:

“Live Together, Die Alone” SEASON FINALE
After discovering something odd just offshore, Jack and Sayid come up with a plan to confront “The Others” and hopefully get Walt back. Meanwhile, Eko and Locke come to blows as Locke makes a potentially cataclysmic decision regarding the “button” and the hatch, on the two-hour season finale.

Some useful Café Society links are given below:

Thread index for Season 1 Episodes: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Thread index for Season 2 Episodes: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

The Official Lost Jargon Thread

Official “Lost” Questions Thread, Season 1

Official “Lost” Questions Thread, Season 2

Here are some interesting external links:

The Lost Report: A very well written summary of the most current episode often containing interesting insights. I don’t think you’ll find spoilers.

The Tail Section: Excellent site for still frame photos of key scenes, along with some good analysis. But… beware of spoilers!

Sledgeweb’s Lost… Stuff: Pretty good site, but again beware of spoilers. I use it mainly for the Timeline section, which is an incredibly detailed breakdown of “how long since…?” for almost anything you can think of (pre- and post-plane crash).

Door Map from Episode 2.17. A nicely cleaned up version of the diagram Locke saw while pinned under the lockdown doors. No spoilers.

If Eko gets a lockdown, perhaps it is an indication that there are sensors that trigger the lockdowns whenever a vessel/plane is in close enough proximity to the island, and the sailboat sets it off?

I saw Harold Perinneau (Michael) on Ellen. He was cute, he was all excited to be on the show and was all giddy. He said:

No one dies in the finale, however several people are left in peril.

I recently saw the second Matrix film and Harold was in that. He looks so much nicer with the long dreads (also in DeCaprio and Juliet) and when he isn’t screaming “WAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLTTTTTTTT!!!”

And no doubt the Lostaways will react as follows: “Huh, a polar bear. How about that. Okay, so, anyway, are you two gonna like sleep together or what? Oh, no, I’m just asking. Because I was talking to somebody, and they were all, what? And I’m all like, nuh uh! 'Cause I think they like you. You want to know if they like you? 'Cause I could y’know ask them for you and then like come back and tell you…”

Hate him in Lost. Liked him in Oz. If you want to see a different side of Mr Eko watch Oz he was in it too.

Dangit I have to work tonight. I’ll probably be back on this thread when it’s 5 pages long.

The hit rate on my predictions playing out is pretty low, but I’m going to be really interested to see if my theory about the TCM bringing down the plane holds up. I don’t think it can be the magnet because, AFAIK, the metal in planes is almost entirely aluminum and I don’t think even the “Lost” writers would try to sluff something like that on us. But if you rewatch the Pilot episode, Rose says “that sounds familiar” the very first time the TCM noises are heard. Then, in the flashbacks to the plane breaking up, you can hear something that sounds exactly like TCM noises in the background.

At any rate, the previews say (and the writers have promised) that we will find out what caused the crash of Oceanic flight 815 tonight. However, if this whole thing turns out to be some shared dream or some Matrix-like computer similation, then I want my money back, and I’ll never watch another JJ Abrams show again. I’m hoping that the writers are throwing us a curve ball in the previews when we hear Locke say “None of this real!”

I have a feeling that the what is not going to be as important as the why. Why may find ut what caused the crash tonight but we’ll have to wait for why.

Absolutely. The “why” is the whole enchiladad, and we won’t get that until Season 15. :slight_smile:

This is from the commercials so it shouldn’t have to be boxed but I will anyway in case someone is purposely staying away from them.

Looks like Jack confronts Michael, angrily yelling “tell them the truth!” Or something like that. It implies that Jack realizes that Michael killed the drunks. There was a quick shot of Locke smashing what appeared to be the computer. Then there was the sound of the counter going to zero.

The why of the plane crash may be just the tip of the iceberg. The why of what the Hanso Foundation is doing may go much deeper. So the why of the plane crash: season 7. Season 15 ends with the Hanso Foundation company picnic.

Purely speculation here, but I’m guessing Locke’s “None of this is real” has more to do with pushing the button than it has to do with the island being real. Locke no longer believes that pushing the button is important, or that anything will happen when it’s not pushed. I think his “None of this is real” will be his way of trying to tell the others (the other Losties, that is) that.

Um… when? I just rewatched the first TCM noises scene in the Pilot, and I don’t hear Rose saying anything. What I just re-watched went like this:

Shannon: “What was that?”
Charlie: “That was weird, right?”
Walt: “Was that Vincent?”
Michael: “It’s not Vincent.”

• shot from behind of Rose walking a little, facing the tree line, other people coming into the scene behind her *

Claire: “Did anybody see that?”
Hurley: “Yeah.”
Shannon: “Boone!”

everybody standing and staring at the trees

Charlie: “Terrific…”

Is that the scene you meant, or a different one?

I’m psyched! I’m betting we go to Defcon Penguin … and beyond!

Beyond Defcon Penguin? Defcon Auk?

My bet as to who is emperiled for the cliffhanger:

Jack and/or Kate. It has to be somebody central, and since they almost killed Jack in the 1st episode, it would be logical to threaten him here. All the rest of the Losties either have already been shot or hurt in some way. If they threaten Michael, I’ll cheer. I really, really hate his character.

It’s a safe bet that stems from his bitter disillusionment on seeing the orientation film for the Pearl Station.

I’d still be prepared to be pissed off if you’re dead set against a Wizard of Oz denouement, though.

The amount of absurdly improbable things taking place (from their survival of the crash right on through,) combined with the blitheness of the ensemble… it screams “None of this is real!” much more emphatically than Locke will.

It’s like how when you have that dream that you’re in the bathtub facing your best friend’s wife, and when she drifts off to sleep and slides down toward you a couple of your fingers accidentally slip inside her, and you’re not really too concerned about how and why you’re in the tub with her, or why all of your friends (including her husband) are sitting around the tub talking about hockey and they aren’t commenting on how inappropriate it is for the two of you to be soaped up and naked in a hot bath in a candle-lit room, you’re just preoccupied with how to get your fingers out of the pie without waking her up and thinking that you’re taking advantage, and with holding up your end of the conversation without anyone noticing that a certain amount of subsurface digital penetration has taken place. No matter how many times you have that dream, nothing about it stands out as improbable enough to merit comment, until you wake up and realize that you’re a twisted little man with some serious issues to work through.

Yeah, it’s like that. Of course a twenty-three foot column of black smoke tried to drag you away from your friends, but it was okay because you knew that it was a benign force which was trying to help you accomplish some vague-but-compelling Important Thing. You don’t waste time talking about it, because, hey look: there’s a 70s-style mod apartment buried underground in the wilderness, maintained by some weird cult, and that Irish guy you met once years ago is there and for some reason he thinks you might be some sort of messianic figure, but no… he’s threatening to shoot you and going on about the End of the World. So you keep pushing a button for a few weeks because it’s really important, but you don’t know why, and you don’t talk that through either, because, hey! Sean Connery has just showed up in a giant flying head wearing a bright red loincloth and throwing rifles out of its mouth, but there’s this obnoxious southern guy there who keeps grabbing them and hiding them away before anyone else can get to them. You know, just normal stuff.

It’s the next morning. Not a lot of emphasis on it, it’s sort of a background event:

When they first starting using the armory, the noise the door made when it slid open sounded just like the TCM. It had that same screeching-ratcheting sound. I haven’t picked up on it in recent weeks, however.

Dammit, I hit ‘submit’ too soon.
Last week I was driving to work and I saw a car with a Swan Hatch sticker on it. The pentagon shape thing, with the maze-y lines around it and the swan in the middle.
Anyone know if someone’s selling them or maybe she made it herself?

“Today’s the day the polar bears have their picnic…”

So… how about them Bruins?

Yep, and it seemed like such an odd thing to say. There are several plane break-up flashback scenes, but the best one to hear TCM noises is the very last one-- the one where we see Kate and the Marshal and we learn that Kate was handcuffed.

Like I said, my hit rate on predictions is not good, but this one kind of makes sense. I envision the “black smoke” TCM shooting up from the island, enveloping the plane and probably doing some of its mind reading tricks while it’s at it (like the scene we saw when Eko stared it down). That would explain how The Island seems to know so much about everyone.

Thanks – found it. Hadn’t looked on into the next few scenes yet.