2009 Fall Cancellation Prediction thread

I’ll add Brothers to he list. It is bad. I see it out by November.

It’s not “The Beautiful Life,” it’s “The Beautiful Life: TBL” so it had a built in way of talking about it in short form.

Do CW shows count?

Hank. Just saw the first 10 minutes of it and it was horrible. Worse even than Absolutely on Purpose, and that was bad. Done by Thanksgiving.

American Dad has been the most consistently funny of the Fox Sunday night comedies for about three years now. (As opposed to Family Guy, which has higher highs but much lower lows, and the Simpsons, which has recovered a bit from its nadir but is still solidly in the mediocre range.)

As for the topic of the thread, I’ve at least sampled most of the new shows this year, and the only one that I’m going to continue watching at this point is Glee. Everything else has been somewhere between mediocre and terrible. Including NCIS: LA, despite having a couple of actors that I like and another smoking hot female agent; it’s not even good enough to be “turn brain off and watch” fodder.

You think it’ll last that long? What a suckfest it was…

Accidentally on Purpose, not Absolutely (or is this some “meme” I’m not clued into?)

I didn’t think Hank was all that special, but not particularly bad either. I could see it going either way.

Too funny. In my head I think of it as Absolutely Horrendous, and apparently that translated to my fingers…

I liked it. I thought it was a nice comedy. Not great, but funny. It has done decent ratings. I really like Modern Family (Al Bundy is SUPPOSED to look old!), and CT is a nice pairing.

Seth McFarlane OWNS Fox. They’d no sooner dump CS than cancel Futurama…oh…wait…

FWIW- I think American Dad is the best of the Sunday animated shows. It actually has STORYLINES!

My wife and I watched 12 minutes of Hank and turned it off. My wife is think about invoicing ABC for that 12 minutes of her time it was so bad. Kelsey should just start doing Frasier again and get it over with!

this is the worst show. i looked it up and all the writers are old from dead sitcoms that failed. please take it off cbs. a real lose here. nothing fresh. jenna’s a has been. so are the writers.

I actually gave Cougartown a shot. I couldn’t even finish the first episode. You all are just DARING me to watch Hank now. I’m actually in the minority who thought Back To You was terrible, so this probably doesn’t have a prayer.

I watched Eastwick because I like the book and movie, and I like Lindsay Price and the gal who did a guest stint on Eureka. It was really stunning in its blandness. It might be the perfect show to watch when my husband is working late and I want to knit and “watch” TV, but I doubt it will be around very long. It has none of the guts of the source material, and the guy playing Darryl, no matter how good he might otherwise be, will always simply read as “not Jack Nicholson.”

And it’s already been cut from 13 episodes down to 4. At this rate, it’ll be canceled before it airs.

Yeah, I agree. Trauma is especially bad. That first episode was rough. Overly dramatic and way too unrealistic.

Things aren’t looking so good for V either. The first part of the season will air in November for four episodes while the second part will begin airing in March.

I read somewhere that the reason for the long gap has something to do with scheduling around the Olympics.

The Winter Olympics run from Febryuary 12 - 28. That doesn’t explain not airing a single episode from December through March.

I agree. If “Hank” lasts another week, it is only because Kelsey Grammer is paying for it out of his own pocket. Sort of sorry I deleted that first episode from my DVR, as it will most certainly go down in television history as one of the worst, if not the worst, sitcom ever to hit the airwaves.

Justin_Bailey said:

The major networks typically treat December as a dead zone for the holidays. Between holiday specials and people’s vacation plans and parties, viewing is down for regular shows.

March is typically sweeps, where they run specials to compete for ratings. Picking up a new show they don’t know how it is going to fare is poor planning. They’ll stack the deck with known quantities, and break out the new show afterwards.

I only made it about 10 minutes into “the forgotten,” and I don’t have the highest standards.

I am enjoying “The Good Wife.” Some very good actors, and Marguiles intrigues me. I like that she’s not being shown as SuperLawyer! Unbeatable!

I have a feeling “The Vampire Diaries” will be around for a while. It’s actually fairly watchable, if incredibly silly.

I laughed quite a few times during Community and Cougar Town both. I’m not a sitcom watcher, generally, but they seemed funnier than I expected.

You’re right about December, but February, not March, is a sweeps month. That may have gotten shifted around this year because of the Olympics, though.