"24" Season 2, Episode 3 - 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. (SPOILERS)

I always under the impression that CTU was in West LA or Santa Monica, but when it blew up it was just a little bit west of Downtown.

Wouldn’t any terrorist be drawing more attention to himself by blowing up a big building with government agents in it before trying something really big?

They were trying to blow up CTU to stop them (CTU) from finding the real threat, the nuclear bomb that’s going to go off withing the next 24 hours.

I just have to chime in to agree with the “Kim is a retard” statement.

First off, she probably would have been ok by just going along with the guy and calming him down until he went back to work, then take the girl and run. But I won’t fault her for that, stress and fear and all. I can’t say I would have done it differently.

But after that, it was just one stupid move after another. I mean really, just go to the fuckin police already and tell them what happened. Dad beat up mom and little girl and threatened to kill you so you took the girl away, but dad is chasing you. They see that the girl has a head injury, send a patrol car over to the house, find beat up or dead mom. Your story makes sense, dad’s doesn’t. Take your statement, arrest dad, take girl back to mom, you’re free to go. Running from the police only makes her seem more like a kidnapper. Maybe I put too much trust in police.

Or how about when she’s being chased by big bad dad, run to a populated area, not a back alley, so at least there’s witnesses around.

Or hell, run him over with the car instead of getting out and running away, THEN get your CTU pals to get you out of trouble with the police.

I just get annoyed at her and want to smack her. Going to CTU was the first thing she did that actually made sense, of course she didn’t know it was about to be blown up.

Or at least, that is what we are led to believe.

However, I’m kind of half wondering if Joseph Wald’s group (the one Jack is infiltrating now) is a false lead. Maybe these guys just have a grudge against CTU, and their blowing it up on the same day is just coincidence.

Okay, not likely – or at least not reasonably likely, in the real world. But this is TV, and I wouldn’t be completely surprised if this were a false trail (although I’m still guessing, for now, that this group is connected).

Here’s a traffic question for LA-area folks…it seemed to me and my vague knowledge of LA that they got from the hills north of LA where the phone hack was performed to CTU awfully quickly. As BobT noted, it became obvious last night that the CTU building is in downtown LA, not out in the fringes of town. It seemed it took no more than 15 to 20 minutes. The fact that 24 is taking place on a Saturday eliminates rush hour maybe makes this somewhat plausible, but LA traffic is always heavy in my experience.

I don’t see Kim’s actions as that stupid. I’ve stated in previous threads why I don’t have a problem with her actions in previous episodes. PLus I agree with what pure and BiblioCat said here.

But in this episode, all she did was retrieve the kid, and call her dad for help. When he didn’t help, she called Tony at CTU. What’s so dumb about that? I’d say calling CTU is better than calling the cops. They can get things done more readily without worrying about “proper procedures”, and they know her personally, so they’ll be more likely to take her word than the police would. Completely sensible.

The only thing in this episode I really had a problem with was the phone company van/CTU security guard scene. Shouldn’t he have recognized his ex-boss? Well, maybe he came on after Jack left, maybe the top guys used a different entrance…okay, I can live with that one. But surely, he should have required IDs from the whole crew, not just the driver.

Anyway, from the previews (those who don’t like preview-related spoilage, look away), it looks like Paula is injured and unconscious and desperately needed to decrypt the case data. If we have a bad guy plant in the CTU or NSA this season, that undoubtedly means some attempt will be made on her life. That could make things interesting…

fiddlesticks, the writers definitely play fast and loose with travel times. My advice is to ignore it. (Or assume this is in an alternate universe with hyperspace freeways or something…)

Does anyone really “buy” Sara Gilberts character as a computer genius or whatever? Maybe I am just hung up on her being Roseanne’s daughter and have typecast her but I just don’t like the casting.

Took the words right out of my mouth FERROUS. They did the same loosey-goosey time thing last year with the travel times.

Yep I agree that Kim has become annoying, but I do love to watch her run… heh heh

Something interesting that I noticed last week is that they no longer have the statement Events occur in real time at the beginning of the show. That might have something to do with it.

I agree with you – she wasn’t dumb in this episode. In fact, finally calling dad, and then CTU, for help was smarter than anything else she’s done so far.

One of the dumbest things (I think) she’s done is to ignore the little girl’s repeated statements that her head really hurts. Her dad slammed her head down pretty hard, and in episode 2 behind the dumpster, warning bells of “concussion” should have been going through Kim’s mind – and it’s time to start trying to find the girl some medical help.

Oh, god yes!!! :smiley:

Well, I’m kind of partial to the other computer girl in that office – Michelle. And she’s a brunette, too, not just another one of the “many blondes”. So I don’t spend too much time dwelling on Sara Gilbert…

No way. I would not have gone with the dad, under any circumstances. She doesn’t know that she’ll be able to clam him down, or if he’ll even go back to work. He was very angry, and she had seen him up close and personal when he was angry. She realized from Megan and the mom that the abuse had probably been going on for a while, and she was right to NOT go with him. What would have happened if she went with him? He would have “taught her a lesson” about taking his child, I bet.
She doesn’t know what happened to the mom, but she does know that if she lets Megan go back in the house, he’ll beat her, and if she’s alone with him, he’ll do God knows what to her.
Remember in the first hour, when he was groping the mom, but leering at Kim? Very creepy. And as soon as the mom left, he told her that she had a nice body and asked if she worked out? Very creepy. Not suitable behavior for dad to exhibit to the nanny.
She was right to get away from him.

i still miss the “on the day of the California primary” from the beginning of each show. ::sniff::

my theory on the bomb group. They don’t know that they were hired just to be decoys, and Jack has to beat up the head bad dude to find out who hired him, because he is in on the nuke threat. Reza is a good guy and will probably help Jack save the day from whatever terrorist guy he may have met once before. Blonde #1434234523523’s dad is evil. Blonde #25235252352342 (aka the sister)'s ex-boyfriend is also evil. Ex-boyfriend could even be wifebeater man or guy who hired CTU diversion. Also, father of blondes is my likely suspect for CTU diversion lead. And Sherry Palmer is the new lover of NSA guy.

No, Wifebeater is Gary; the ex-boyfriend was Mike or Mark or something like that. I think Gary works for the Bride’s Father, though.

And I think the Bride’s father will end up being involved, not Reza. Maybe the Suspicious Sister will suddenly find something implicating her beloved Daddy while searching for more stuff on her future brother-in-law.

No, Wifebeater is Gary; the ex-boyfriend was Mike or Mark or something like that. I think Gary works for the Bride’s Father, though.

And I think the Bride’s father will end up being involved, not Reza. Maybe the Suspicious Sister will suddenly find something implicating her beloved Daddy while searching for more stuff on her future brother-in-law.

BiblioCat, I meant before she took Megan away from the house, when they were still in Megan’s bedroom. I think Kim would have been ok just by doing what bad dad said: “stay down, or I WILL hurt you”. Then after he left (his job was obviously calling him to return), she could have taken Megan to the hospital and called the police about the abuse.

Once she took Megan away though, you’re right, it would be stupid to go back with him, even when he said he would forgive her.

Yeah, you’re right, but when they went downstairs, the mom sent her away.
She gave Kim the cars keys and told her to take Megan away.
So maybe Mom knows something we don’t.

(I’m having a hell of a time posting…hope this doesn’t double post.)

Yeah, you’re right, but when they went downstairs, the mom sent her away.
She gave Kim the cars keys and told her to take Megan away.
So maybe Mom knows something we don’t.

(I’m having a hell of a time posting…hope this doesn’t double post.)

The Bauer family sure has some bad days, don’t they? I mean damn, last week I got a flat tire that ruined my whole day, but it’s not like I had to carry around some dude’s severed head in a duffel bag.

Anyway, I don’t think some of you are giving Kim enough credit.

That is where she was going, as was clearly stated when she told the girl “just hang on, we’re going to the police and then we can get you some help” when she was driving.

You’re forgetting how she got to the alley. The construction was blocking traffic on her way to the police. Instead of just sitting there hoping that the girl’s head injury doesn’t send her into a coma, Kim tried to go around the construction so as to get help sooner. It’s just that, OH NO!, the dad had found her. Remember the dad calling OnStar[sup]TM[/sup] and reporting the car stolen? Damn LoJack technology.

**Again, it’s the damn OnStar, which can kill the car’s engine remotely. The writers could have done a better job explaining that, and the timing was a little suspect because the dad had called OnStar a while ago, but that’s what I took to be what happened. And then with him walking up and him being able to unlock the doors…

Perhaps she should have called the police with her cell phone the instant she took off, but hey, then we wouldn’t get to see her run so much :wink:

So nice to see an episode in which people do smart things instead of incredibly stupid things. Kim does everything right this episode, Jack makes several smart moves to try to thwart the bad guys even at risk of blowing his cover. Add to that a bunch of people about whom suspicion is growing, maybe for good reason, maybe just as red herrings, and you see why 24 is worth watching. (It’s the difference between being a discriminating viewer and a passive one, for those who liked last week’s fiasco.)

The only problem I had was Jack being part of the fake telephone crew. (And why was he even needed? Presumably just to sit in the truck and watch over the bound guy. But wouldn’t that have made anytone coming by suspicious?) Anyway, the others all had what looked to be pre-made photo i.d. badges. Jack couldn’t possibly have one - he either had to use the one taken off the guy whose ankle he broke or off the real telephone guy that got killed, and it’s hard to see how either of those would have worked.

Now we should get to see whether the nation’s counter-terrorist agency is smart enough to have a backup site in case of emergency. I’m betting not.

This seems obvious to me: If someone calls you in a crisis, don’t have them take a bus! Have them take a cab, even if you have to call the cab company yourself to guarantee payment.