"24" Season 2, Episode 6 - 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Back to Pres’s ex-wife. I did not watch the show last season - the previous explanatory post says she fell out of the Pres’ favor for doing some behind the scenes stuff. But was she positioned as a “traditional” First Lady - i.e., not a political mover and shaker, but a power behind the throne as a wife; or as an activist First Lady, more like Hilary Clinton attempted to be? I ask this because - how plausible was it that she would have “inside connections at the DOD” to find out info on troop evacs before the president?

Thanks.
Other than that - good show. I think it is important that Jack continue to do unethical things, such as killer and beheading that one bad guy - having Jack on the edge and unpredictable makes the show more suspenseful. Not that that would bode well for Nina…

As for Stupid Blonde of the Week - so far, the Sarah Wynter character hasn’t strayed too far off course - she is positioned as the Responsible Older Sister Who Stepped Up When Mom Died - so I am okay with her not finessing what happened and taking responsibility, same with Petulant, Spoiled Younger Daughter About to Be Married. As for Maybe Terrorist Dad - well, WordWife picked that one out a few ep’s ago…

As for Kim - my, she is bouncy, isn’t she?

Woo - hoo! This season is great.

First of all, I don’t mind the Kim sub-plot per-se. It’s nice to take a break from the One Big Plot to deal with related issues. But damn Kim and that kid are annoying. Still, Scruffy improved things a bit this week. Maybe we could have him save people from the bomb while Kim dances naked in the background.

Also, I’m starting to wonder if the Resa/Dad plot is a double-bluff. It seems almost too obvious that Dad was guilty and Resa wasn’t. Maybe they were fooling us and Resa really is a baddie. Why should I take his word for it that he only approved the transfers?

Right now I suspect everyone.

Glad to see the evil Mrs. Palmer is back. I wonder if she knows what she’s gotten herself into.

IANAL, but my understanding is that the consequences of “not having a lawyer present during questioning” is that any confessions would not be admitted in court. Tony is not interested in preserving a case against Reza for a future court trial, he is only interested in getting the information now that he needs to stop the terrorist attack. Even if denying Reza an attorney is against the law, I’m sure for “national security reasons” the CTU can get away with it.

I don’t think this was explained in any great detail, but my impression is that they were divorced AFTER Palmer was elected. It just makes sense that he would not have made their split public during the campaign, as you pointed out, but would wait until after the election to divorce her. I’m sure the satisfaction he got from keeping her out of the White House more than makes up for the political toll the divorce may cost him in Presidential Popularity and his future reelection campaign.

It’s because Tony is breaking rules to get information.

Yeah, but there’s no medical problem quite like being evaporated in a nuclear explosion.

I wonder, too. I’m still not convinced Reza isn’t more deeply involved. I have always thought the dad was involved, but now I wonder if Reza isn’t setting the dad up.

I think that the Kim sub-plot is somehow involved. The father is getting strange phone calls. Of course, you never know if her boyfriend, Enrique Iglesias, is involved.

I said that last night, too - I think the evil father and two blondes father are in cahoots together (they’re both on the phone all the time - a sure sign of evil doing, you know.)

Too much exposition for me. I’d just like to add my peace about the rediculous Kim plotline. Doeas this girl know a single normal person in the entire world? Why does her life turn into a thriller suddenly when terrorists come to town? It was understandable the first season, since they wanted to throw Jack off the trail, but now it’s just cliched. 'Course, I see no reason not to include her at all, since she is fine, but the plotline is dung.

Also, I’d like to add another vote for Jack being one of the greatest TV bad-asses. God, this guy is cool.

Nina saying “I mean, no offense, but your no match fo Jack, your not ruthless enough.” to this huge officer, and then Jack handing him a bottle of mickeyed water for comfort, as if to sooth his wounded ego (all the while proving her correct) was priceless. Best ending of a single episode so far (save last years finale). Either way, by the end of the day, Nina is fucked.

DaLovin’ Dj

When watching the show, I was thinking that Visalia was in another country. I had no idea it was nearby. I figured they would never make it to the airport, since an international flight would take up most of the remaining hours. I’m glad to see it’ll probably be a short flight.

My guess with Kim’s storyline is that Evil Dad works for Terrorist Dad’s company or something. That’ll tie the two storylines together at least. I like her boyfriend too, especially since he kicked Evil Dad’s ass. He’s obviously a trained fighter.

Jack rules. I especially like the way he manipulates people, knowing how they’ll respond. Like intentionally not telling Mason about his plans until after he gets the reaction he wants from choking Nina. Not to mention the power struggle with her. I’m positive Nina won’t make it through the day alive, but Jack will definitely not kill her in cold blood, he’s too smart for that, so he’ll set it up so that the terrorists do it. It was good to see him wipe that smirk off her face.

I can’t wait until next week.

I haven’t been posting to these threads because everything’s always been said before I get here…but I just have to say, last night my husband and I were screeching with excitement at the whole show.

I would like very much to cut out the Kim subplot, especially the fey boyfriend with a bad haircut they’ve cast.

But Jack. JACK JACK JACK. My God. When he said to George: I just need five minutes to show her I have the power to do anything I want to her.

I nearly died.

And his little smirk at the end when she realized he’d drugged the chaperone. Just awesome.

The show gets better and better.

Yeah, Visalia is in central California, near Fresno.

But they couldn’t seem to figure out whether the A in the middle was long or short. Nina said it both ways within a minute.

Is Visalia kind of in the middle of nowhere? Is that what they were going for?

Also: did we ever get a hint about where Big Bad Voodoo Daddy works? I’m thinking it’s is at the company owned by Sires Many Blondes.

Woops, I don’t want to complicate the lexicon here. Let’s go with Evil Dad and Terrorist Dad. And I see that c-goat wonders the same thing.

Visalia isn’t really in the middle of nowhere. It’s about 30 miles SE of Fresno in the middle of all the major agricultural cities of the Central Valley.

I can’t imagine it being a town where a terrorist who isn’t white or Latino hangs out however. It would be convenient for anyone who wished to flee up into the Sierra Nevada however.

If you were driving, it would take 3-4 hours to get there. If you were flying, about an hour.

But since this is “24”, they will likely get there in 10 minutes. Or they may never even set foot there since they need Jack and Nina for dramatic tension in L.A.

Does Miguel actually look Hispanic to anyone? He doesn’t to me. I live in a heavily hispanic area and Mig doesn’t look like one of my neighbors. Does this sound racist? It shouldn’t, not implying that all of any race looks alike. Just that I didn’t realize he was Hispanic until the guard said “Male Hispanic, just stole a monitor!” I was wondering how the guard could tell at a glance of his back, when I couldn’t tell and I’ve seen him all show.

Absolutely. In the 24 universe, telephones are merely nefarious plot communication devices.

I hear ya. I just called up CTU and confessed to being a terrorist just so they wouldn’t send Jack to interrogate me. Kiefer Sutherland is very convincing as a badass. Badassness is usually very poorly done on TV, but Jack scares me.

I guess I had the totally wrong conclusion with the water–I thought that Jack had started drinking it before handing it to the guard. And I thought that he had a bit of a look of surprise on his face after the guard passed out. So I thought that Nina (through old contacts at CTU?) had gotten someone to doctor Jack’s water, to put him out of commission.

Good episode.

I thought Reza seemed awfully snarky towards Kate given that he’s about to be explaining to his fiancée that her father has some strong terrorist connections.

I don’t mind the Kim subplot, and not just because she does a lot of jouncing. And I kind of hope it doesn’t cross over to the bomb plot – unless that involves PsychoDad being a little too close to ground zero at the wrong moment.

My guess: the bomb’s going to go off, but it’ll be a dirty bomb and not have the fatality rate people are expecting. And it’ll be a diversion for an even bigger threat elsewhere that Jack has to stop before 8:00 a.m. the following day.

I’m guessing the whole bomb thing is just a diversion. It’s too early to tell, but I just have this feeling.

Maybe the conspirators against the presidency (that’s assuming the former Mrs. Ex Prez is telling the truth about that) planned the whole thing as a way to oust the Prez in some way. Maybe that has nothing to do with it at all, and there’s a whole new, unforseen plot twist coming up.

More miscellaneous thoughts:

Ensign Ro seems to be getting a few too many sideways glances from the camera to be totally a good guy. There’s got to be some more meat to her character than we’re being exposed to so far.

The Nina replacement at CTU is very attractive, and her being a brunette doesn’t bode well for her. The other brunettes in this show have either been sacrificed for their country, murdered, gone on insane stabbing rampages, or turned traitor.

Does anyone know what happened to Abused Mom? The last I remember, she was getting ready to go to the hospital to meet up with Kim and the Little Girl. Punch Daddy surprises her at the door and that’s the last we see of her… Does anyone think that he killed her? When he was preparing to sneak his daughter out of the hospital, I could’ve sworn he mentioned something about going to Mexico City to his secretary.

I wouldn’t be surprised if BadDaddy killed her, or at the very least, beat the crap outta her. Yes, he did mention Mexico.

My speculations? I don’t think Lady Palmer is being entirely truthful. I think she is working with someone to oust President Palmer in retaliation for him divorcing her and humiliating her.

Someone needs to tell Kim it’s “nu-clee-ar,” not “new-cue-lar”.

I LOVED Jack’s shots into the wall right by Nina’s head. That was great.
I also thought Visalia was a country. Why would she want to just leave the area? I’d want to get far, far away from the place where a bomb is supposed to go off. That’s what makes me think (as Interrobang! said) that the bomb may go off, but it won’t be quite as bad as they think (not a nuclear bomb.) If Nina isn’t that concerned about getting away from it, it must not bad that bad.
I figured the father of Kate and Marie was using Reza to unknowingly do his dirty work. He was too unconcered when Kate told him she found out “things” about him from the PI.
Mmm, Reza in handcuffs… I’d like to handcuff him to my bed.
Oops. Did I say that out loud?

I was starting to wonder if she and the president are involved on a more than professional basis. I was just getting that vibe last night for some reason. I kind of doubt it, but it’d be an interesting twist if Sherry really was still in love with David but found out that he was sleeping with a senior staff member.