[QUOTE=dahfisheroo]
And I am pretty sure that “she” is a “he” although I might be wrong with that one, too.
[/QUOTE]
I am the “he”.
I’m not a nurse either.
[QUOTE=dahfisheroo]
And I am pretty sure that “she” is a “he” although I might be wrong with that one, too.
[/QUOTE]
I am the “he”.
I’m not a nurse either.
[QUOTE=dahfisheroo]
I always read it as pick you nurse as well, even though I knew what it meant. And I am pretty sure that “she” is a “he” although I might be wrong with that one, too.
[/QUOTE]
Indeed, you are wrong. You haven’t read any of my “Hubby” threads, I take it? ![]()
[QUOTE=Anastasaeon]
I just saw Cunctator’s name in another thread, and looking at it, it finally dawned on me: It says Cunctator. Not Cuncanator! (Sounds like: CUNK-in-nate-or)
For some reason, it just always sounded like some kind of superhero name, or supervillian, or maybe even a Transformer of some sort. But it’s not. It’s Cunctator. I have no more idea what that means than what Cuncanator means, but I am a little saddened. It doesn’t sound nearly as Transformer-y to me, now.
[/quote]
As I’ve noted in several other threads, I took the name from the great Roman general Fabius Maximus, whose masterly delaying tactics I greatly admired when we studied him in Latin at school.
For those of a classical bent, the Latin verb “to delay” is cunctor, cunctari, cunctatus sum.
As far as I know, none of us who have “not” in our names are related to each other. Mine’s a pun on JFK’s line, “Ask not what your country can do for you.” I have long been Nott, as in Nottingham.
There are several usernames I don’t understand, though I can’t think of them right now.
[QUOTE=Alive At Both Ends]
It isn’t -fy, it’s -yf. Take another look. And I’m pretty sure “why be a wife” is precisely the intended meaning.
[/QUOTE]
Ah! Thanks for clearing that up for me!
[QUOTE=Dung Beetle]
I still see Bobotheoptimist as Bobtheoptimist.
[/QUOTE]
:eek: Good lord. I never noticed that.
I always read Cunctator as Cunctuator–as pronounced by Marvin the Martian.
[QUOTE=picunurse]
Indeed, you are wrong. You haven’t read any of my “Hubby” threads, I take it? ![]()
[/QUOTE]
NurseCarmen was correct, I had confused him with you. Still new, try not to flay me too bad, please.
In case anyone is interested I am neither an optometrist nor an optimist, username was meant as a bit of a joke, actually. This is one of the few times it’s worked as planned.
Bobo… I’m sure there was a good reason.
[QUOTE=erie774 ]
… Batsinma Belfry I see as Batsina, not Batsinma. Minor difference I guess.
[/QUOTE]
Batsina, would be like bats in just some general belfry. Whereas, Batsinma is referring to my own personal belfry. ![]()
** Cunctator** will always be cunt tater, to me. I have no idea what a cunt tater is and I really don’t want to think about it too hard.
Ditto the msmith/ms smith and spingears/spring ears confusion.
Excalibre will always look like Excaliber to me. Anaamika reads as Amerika to my addled brain and Tomndebb reads like Tommy Depp.
For some odd reason that I cannot fathom, I always get Evil Captor and Crafter Man confused. Their names have nothing in common but each has one word that starts with “C”.
There’s a poster called Freudian_Slip on the boards somewhere and I got a massive shock when I saw a thread started by them (I think it’s a guy) and thought “I didn’t start that thread!! …Oh…”
I always read Mangetout as Mango Trout…
I wouldn’t know how to go about finding the thread where he explained it, but I do remember that yBeayf is from the Isle of Man, and his name is pronounced “uh-BAY-uff”, and it’s Gaelic (?) for something. He’ll have to come in here and tell us what it is.
I think all the ones I have problems with have already been discussed (except maybe Triskadecamus, which I’ve always read as tris-ka-der-mus), however, yanno, it truly sucks to have such a boring username that no one ever mispronounces it. 
Freudian Push Up Bra, I truly love your username. It just rocks.
I can’t help reading Bosda Di’Chi of Tricor as Bosda de Tricolor
Norinew is somehow rendered as None Iron
Also afflicted by Wookie in a Pub syndrome
Ultrafilter registers as Ultrafitter
[QUOTE=levdrakon]
A lot of screen names for me are just like hard to pronounce alien names in sci-fi novels. Bene Tleilax or Tleilaxu in the Dune novels for instance. My eyes encounter the word, my brain quickly decides it’s too much work to sound it out and from then on I “hear” it in my head as something more pronounceable. Like “tilAXoo.”
[/QUOTE]
My brain does this too; only it usually doesn’t even give me a sound, i just recognise the grouping of letters without getting getting a pronunciation. I have to really force myself to sound things out, and then I’m not very good at it. I think this is why I have trouble with foreign languages. My brain sees a word it’s never heard before and says “oh, that word” and continues on.
[QUOTE=Batsinma Belfry]
** Cunctator** will always be cunt tater, to me. I have no idea what a cunt tater is and I really don’t want to think about it too hard.
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=dahfisheroo]
NurseCarmen was correct, I had confused him with you. Still new, try not to flay me too bad, please.
[/QUOTE]
No harm, I was just clarifying. Now stop cowering in the corner, I’m truly non-violent.
(see, I’m smiling!
)
[QUOTE=OneCentStamp]
Taters? What’s taters, precious? ![]()
[/QUOTE]
And my family doesn’t understand why I keep coming back here. Where else could this perfect an answer come up this soon, seemingly off the top of the head?
[QUOTE=faithfool]
I think all the ones I have problems with have already been discussed (except maybe Triskadecamus, which I’ve always read as tris-ka-der-mus), however, yanno, it truly sucks to have such a boring username that no one ever mispronounces it. ![]()
[/QUOTE]
Maybe we could start a club.