"How I Met Your Mother" [final season]

Was there a different director last night? Because all of this felt like it was funnier on paper, and should have been funnier on camera. I’m not sure if it was the timing, or too timid in the delivery, or what, but something did seem off.

Lily was clearly reading and over-enunciating the list of things he should say good-bye to. I normally love her, but that was some truly horrific acting. It wasn’t even good narrating.

Ted petting “Empy” was stomach-churning. Yes, this character makes his living on “awkward” but that was sickening.

“The ketchup/hand sanitizer bottle of scotch?” It was also stolen from Northern Exposure when Eve had to fake a bottle of wine for Adam. But Ted did a great job going from “ooh that’s awful” to “I must pretend to have a developed enough palate to love this” simply through facial expressions.

Funny: swordfighting and “Thank you, Linus”

Prediction1: Barney is not angry, and as I said upthread, he already has the locket.
Prediction2: Planes, Trains and Automibiles Lady is the new Nanny. Family stays in New York and Lily commutes to-from Italy.

Really? Do you think that the writers of Northern Exposure were the first people in history to think of this? Or perhaps some teenager somewhere might have done this after consuming part of his/her parents’ liquor stash? Or more likely, many teenagers at many times have doctored up liquor bottles to hide their misdeeds.

I like that a lot. It’d give some justification for that plot line.

My prediction: The season is going to have a good deal of flashbacks from the mother’s perspective (do we know her name yet?), and flashforwards of Ted and Mother at the hotel (this we know). The final episode will cut between Ted meeting her, and Ted proposing in the future.

Ooh! You reminded me of Prediction#3! The purpose of the visit one year later that we saw the flashback from? The proposal, of course! (Not the wedding, she seems too uncertain.)

At a minimum, PT&ALady has some more Deus Machina work to do. If not as Nanny, then she comes up with the solution to the Italy/Judgeship dilemma.

I tried to find the scene on YT for you, but couldn’t. It’s exactly the same. Two women girl-bonding, mess up the husband’s super-special wedding gift bottle. I think their positions at the table were even the same.

Eve mixes up a perfect match to fool her hubby (one difference is that he’s super-taster mega-palate guy) who then has to fake liking it when he drinks it. Then we get the same nebulous “did he really know or was he truly fooled?” outcome.

Does anyone know who the “Mandy” was that Robin and Barney would invoke to attract the old people? I can’t recall the last name, never heard of her.

Seems the very longest that Marshall would have to drive would be to Chicago and catch a flight to NY from there. Anyone else sick of the saucy black lady bit that seems to infect every comedy?

Mandy Patinkin? Male actor, currently starring in Homeland, previously in Criminal Minds and Chicago Hope, famous for his role in The Princess Bride. Big-time Broadway star.

I liked it okay. It wasn’t the height of comedy, but I’m still enjoying it. I am a little concerned for Lily’s liver.

Not to mention her breast milk. Marvin will be an alcoholic before he is weaned.

Yep, old people love him and it also tied into the whole Princess Bride storyline, obviously.

I wondered why would his name be a magnet for very very old people? It’s a generation or two younger that quotes Princess Bride excessively. It’s a generation younger than the very old ones who would have seen him on Broadway.

I think that mentioning Mandy Patinkin was just a way to fit in the comment about Fezzik.

Is “old people love Mandy Pantinkin” actually a thing? Princess Bride came out in 1987, I usually associate its biggest fans as people in their 30s who were kids back then. I can’t really think of any reason old people would be particularly fond of him vs any other actor.

As it was, it seemed like a really forced gimmick to tie into the sword fighting stuff.

Old people love Mandy Patinkin as a singer.

Young people love him as an actor.

Exactly. He tours sometimes with Patti Lupone and sells out everywhere. Plus, old people watch CBS like crazy and he was on the network in both Criminal Minds and Chicago Hope. Older ladies think he’s dreamy.

I was flashing back to an episode of Black Books where they accidentally drink a super-expensive bottle of wine that doesn’t belong to them and doctor up some cheap plonk that, punchline, ends up killing the pope.

Yes the “Quick! Replace the [good stuff] with something we’ve just concocted!” is an old trope. I’d look for it on TV Tropes, but I have to get some work done today.

Thanks for clearing up the Mandy thing. I have to assume that Branson MO is on his tour.

Is the entire season going to be this wedding?