How I spent my Saturday – a boring MMP

:smack: That would be Anse Bundren wanting to borrow the shovel, not Flem Snopes.

Right author, wrong character. I last read Faulkner 25 years ago. So there.

As if anyone cares about obscure literary references around here…

Oh, and I should also mention that yesterday, while driving down to the VunderLair, I almost ran over a flock of buzzards eating something dead in the road. It was like something out of a spaghetti western…

Happy MMP!

Just doing a drive by right now. I may not maike it back today. Got up early, took a ride, went to the gym, showered and got massaged by the lovely Jennifer, who as it turns out has kids that ride my buses. Small world.

Now I have to iron a shirt, then get myself to this golf outing. It’s going to scorch out there today.

Am I the only one smiling about that? Sorry, I love this weather.

'k, adios MMP’ers, catch ya tomorrow!

Good monday afternoon,
and happy [insert wish] to the birthdaychildren, I will cross my flippers for the boathunters, and :slight_smile: to everybody else.

I have spent all day freezing in the electron microscopy room today, the AC in there is comfortable for penguins. My teeth are still shuddering. But now I am back at the office with a nice warm cup of coffee while sorting all the images and dropping by the MMP while thawing.

The weekend was spent preparing for the big Land Rover event which is to start later this week. So I installed the long planned (but not prioritised) voltmeter to my batteries in the car. Not bad for someone with ten thumbs concering electricity (famous last words: “Heck, its only 12V! Bzzzt…”). So now I have full controll of battery #2, which is for all the accessories. Puh.

So, one more day tomorrow at work, and I will have three days off to go offroading and oogling the other Land Rovers.

Kotick

How disappointing. Glad I didn’t play it up big for the new girl from Ohio. :wink: I’d be telling her about the windows rattling and she’d call me a big fat liar. :smiley:

Emperor penguins, perhaps. Not all penguins live iin the cold. Some, like the faerie penguin, actually live in the tropics!

Now it might be comfortable enough for a White Seal… :slight_smile:

Mornin’, cool kids!

What a busy weekend I had. Saturday I got called in to work because of an emergency. Our tree wouldn’t land on the wellhead, so I had to create a new layout to make sure it wasn’t a design error. It wasn’t. (Of course not! ;))

So then I had to do ALL my chores on Sunday. Five loads of clothes, including sheets and blankets; menu planning; grocery shopping; vacuuming; dusting; haircut (it looks cute!); cooking (bbq chicken legs and sausage, cole slaw, baked beans, corn on the cob); flip the mattress; remake the bed with clean sheets (mmm - cool clean sheets); take out trash; clean out fridge; wash dishes (once in the morning, once at night.)

And hubby finally installed the ceiling fan in the bedroom! Clean sheets, freshly showered body, and a ceiling fan - it don’t get much better than that. :wink:

Happy Monday everybody! And a very special wish for no particular reason to picu!

Puggy and ivy, you only hear the earth shattering ka-boom if you use the Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.[sup]TM[/sup] Of course Bugs Bunny was always stealing it, thus no earth shattering ka-boom ever ensued. I thought you people would know these simple basic facts! SHEESH!

Howdy to Annie-Xmas and lieu. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen you two around these parts, but then again, I’m dumb as a box of rocks so what do I know?

I’m not real thrilled about some stuff here at work right now. More later after I talk with the boss. Let’s just say for now that GRRRRRRRRRR will do. :mad:

Hi Guys…This is my First MMP - I feel like I real doper now.

I’ve been seething about this all weekend, and this might actually belong in the pit, but I’m not experienced enough to start my own pit thread, so I bleeped out all obscenities…hope that’s good enough.

Anyway, because I don’t have enough brain power this morning to recount this in any new way, I’m going to cut and paste the contents of a letter I sent by fax this morning.

Lt. Laino
Melrose Park Police Department
1 N. Broadway
Melrose Park, IL 60160

RE: 	Complaint against officer Ementi Coary

Dear Lt. Laino:

On July 14, 2006 at approximately 2:20 p.m., I got into a verbal altercation with Officer Ementi Coary (Badge #189) while driving in Melrose Park. The altercation stemmed from Mr. Coary’s anger that I had inadvertently cut him off in my attempt to merge into the left lane in order to turn onto North Avenue. The details of the incident are as follows:

I was traveling in the second car in a four car procession, following my friend who was directly in front of me. As we were all relatively unfamiliar with the Melrose Park area, we were having some trouble finding the restaurant. As a result, when approaching the corner, we had to quickly get into the left lane to turn onto North Avenue, as our lead car recognized the intersection and realized that we needed to turn left to get to our destination.

As the lead car merged into the left lane, I turned on my signal to indicate my intention to merge as well. I checked my side mirror and also looked over my shoulder to be sure that there were no vehicles in the way. At this time, I saw Officer Coary on his motorcycle. Officer Coary was approximately 10-15 feet behind me, providing ample room for me to get over, and as I had properly signaled, I assumed that he was aware of my intention to move into the next lane. However, as I slowed down and began to move over into the next lane, Office Coary continued at his same rate of speed. When I realized that he was not going to slow down, I at first stepped on my brakes thinking that I would just let him go ahead. At that point though, I realized that I was then partially blocking both lanes, and it would be safer to continue my lane change.

After completing the lane change, Officer Coary was directly behind me. The first thing he said to me was “What the fck are you doing? You just cut me off for no fuking reason!” I was rather confused at this point, as I didn’t feel that I had cut him off, and also by his comment that I did it “for no reason”. I could see him in my side mirror, and could tell that he was extremely agitated. At that point, I looked at him in the mirror and threw my hands up and shrugged to indicate my confusion. He then called me a btch.
At that point, I became angry at his inexplicable escalation of this seemingly minor traffic quarrel. I extended my middle finger to him and said “Fu
k you”. Officer Coary seemed to explode in anger, responding, “Oh yeah? Fuk me? Fuk you!.” He then said “Get out of the car…I dare you.” There was of course no way I was going to exit my vehicle to intensify this bizarre incident. Then he began fumbling in the vicinity of his waistband and said “You see this, bi*ch? It’s a badge!”. I shook my head to indicate that I didn’t see why that was relevant, and this only seemed to incense him more. I then heard him say “Oh yeah…okay…watch this,” at which time I saw him pull out a cell phone and make a call.

By this time, the light had changed, and I turned onto North Avenue, thinking that he would go about his way, while I went about mine. However, Officer Coary continued to pace my car in the adjacent lane for several blocks. As I came upon the turn that would take me to my destination, I spotted a police car in the oncoming lane coming in my direction. When that car passed me, I saw him make a u-turn and come around to my side of the road. As I made my turn, the police car pulled up behind me and turned on the siren. I pulled into the restaurant parking lot and stopped.

As I stopped, I noticed Office Coary’s motorcycle pull in behind the police car that had stopped me. The uniformed officer, who I later learned was Officer Farmer, approached my vehicle and asked for my driver’s license. I gave it to him, and as he started to walk away with it, Officer Coary approached my vehicle and yelled, “Fuk you! Welcome to Melrose Park, bich!.” I politely responded “thank you” and then turned to Officer Farmer to find out what was going on.

Officer Farmer informed me that he was going to have to give me a ticket. I asked him what the ticket was for, as I didn’t believe I had broken any laws. Officer Farmer replied that the ticket would be for improper lane usage, and “running a vehicle off the road”. During this exchange, Officer Coary continued to yell and curse, standing approximately 5 feet away from my vehicle. By this time of course, my companions had arrived in the parking lot as well, and witnessed Officer Coary’s histrionics. They witnessed Officer Farmer attempting to restrain Officer Coary, and eventually send him away. That was the last I saw of Officer Coary that day.

I ultimately received a ticket that day for “improper lane usage”. I intend to fight the ticket on several grounds, not the least of which is that Officer Coary verbally abused and threatened me in a manner unbecoming of a police officer, and indeed, any civilized member of society. I believe that this ticket is a blatant example of misuse of power and authority on the part of your officer. I have several witnesses who saw both the initial traffic incident and Officer Coary’s subsequent behavior. These witnesses will give an account of what happened that day if necessary. We were all frightened of the way that Officer Coary acted. The fact that he had a gun and was displaying obvious signs of being unable to control his temper made us all fear for our lives.

Officer Coary’s actions were inexcusable and offensive. A law abiding citizen should never be treated this way by a police officer, especially as the result of a minor traffic squabble. If Officer Coary cannot even control his road rage in an acceptable manner, I shudder to think of how he would conduct himself in an actual police situation that requires a cool head and a calm disposition. I am not familiar with the inner workings of your department, but I would hope that an incident like this would not be ignored by senior members of your force. I ask that Officer Coary be reprimanded for his hateful and offensive behavior.

Please contact me at <blah blah blah>

I had nightmares Saturday night.

Spoke to the Lt. by phone this morning and he said he would forward my complaint to the Chief…we’ll see what happens then. :dubious:

As a side note, when I was researching complaints agains Melrose Park officers this weekend, I found out that the cop on the motorcycle was the same one who got fired from another department a few years ago for organizing a (police sanctioned??) golf outing, complete with strippers and prostitutes. :wally

On preview…wow, that really WAS long. Sorry.

Happy Monday All!!

Yeah, I always find that strange, because one is to believe that penguins live at the South Pole, like the the polar bear and Santa live at the North Pole. Aand then you always have something that does not fit these nice mental rules; like the polar bears in Hudson Bay, those pesky little Jakckass penguins in South Africa, and then the Finns who claim that Santa lives in Finland :confused:

Well, since it is summertime, I have changed into my summer fur, which is not so fluffy and warm as the winter one. But I feel better now, that warm coffee, and that funny thread about penguins in GQ hit the right spot.

Meh. I hate Mondays. [/Garfield] Okay, enough moping. The weekend was good. Saturday I did nothing. Sunday I exercised and - get this - got a lesson in how to drive a stick shift! Weird, eh? I had only driven automatics before. It’s not terribly complicated, but it requires a fair bit of concentration. Apparently you have to learn for each car what the clutch is like and how it wants to behave re: the car moving. So it’s not really true that I’m driving the car, it’s more that I’m sharing the driving experience - if the car and I want to go the same way, so much the better.

For the record, I am also from Bergen County. Wyckoff, in fact. I insist that Drae, Annie-Xmas, dogbutler and Twinkie and kaiwik and I (and anyone else in the North Jersey area) all get together once I arrive back in Jersey the week of the 14th of August.

Nice MMP, FCM, as usual. Good luck with the boat. Speaking of boats, I hit a goldmine of pun topics over the weekend about different types of boats. Unfortunately, I was an idiot and forgot to post it in my LJ last night. So I have no access to it to post it here now. I promise I’ll post it when I get home this afternoon. :smack: :smack: :smack:

Wasn’t this MMP supposed to be the Cool Kids pic thread?

A propos of nothing, I’ve started reading Sun Tzu’s The Art of War. And a big welcome to Citygirl852! :slight_smile:

*mika ** - how about giant killer penguins with tentacles for arms?

my friend owns a gorgeous 40’ sloop trimmed in wood. I have a standing invitation to go out on it with him and his wife anytime I want - I try to go at least once a summer, but this year is looking iffy. I love the feeling of power and tranquility I feel when I’m on that boat

*Monty Python reference

Silly me - I was supposed to be replying to

Then the penguin comment makes much more sense

My neighbor’s on a transplant team, so she gets that kind of question a lot. I found it somewhat creepy when she described a particular person two weekends ago, where they were primarily interested in the eyes, and had disconnected the vent earlier that evening, leading to a prediction the person would code at around 1 or 2 AM. Just the eyes, and not the kidneys, heart, lungs or other major parts. Just the specifics of “We want his eyes” was wierd.

We need a thermometer poll with all of this infernal hotness going around. The “official” temp for us yesterday was 99, but the in-car thermometer was showing 107 yesterday afternoon. Today’s supposed to be hotter. At 10:30 PM, the “official” temp was 84, which did seem to match up with our reality of the air conditioner still chugging along.

Welcome to where the cool kids hang, CityGirl
signed me :wink:

gotti, we are currently at 83 You Ass degrees and are supposed to top out at 91. There’s something to be said about living onna penninsula.

Good lord, ** Citygirl852**! I’d have nightmares too. Be sure and let us know if anything comes of your complaint!

But the faerie penguins are so cute! And I didnt’ realize the thread in GQ was funny. That’s the one I’m involved in right? About penguin love?

Spats, I totally forgot! It is supposed to be picture MMP. Who’s starting?

According to Weather.com, currently 91 degrees, feels like 97, and an expected high of 98, which I suppose would feel like 104.

Good morning everyone.

Happy Un-Birthday picu.

Good luck with the boat offer/hunting FCM. How is it you can only fit two to three people (making five counting you and the hubby) on a 30 foot boat? I’m no expert, but there must be a lot of stuff impeding passenger space. My little 20 footer is rated for 10 people; although we never have 10 people on it. The most we ever had on it was nine, and we agreed that we’re sticking to eight at most.

I stayed home today. My tummy and my rear are having a contest to see which can discharge it’s contents fastest and most often. It truly is awful. I had rather a rough night with this, and really TRIED to go to work, but as I was getting dressed, it all hit me again…and again…and again. I figured screw it, and called in to work.

I called in to my boss at 0525 this morning and left a message. Apparently, he did not retrieve his messages, because our admin assistant called me at 9:30 and told me the boss asked her to call. I told her I’d left a message with him and explained what was going on with digestive system. I must sound like shit because she didn’t even recognize my voice when I answered the phone.

I really need to buy some groceries today. I’m out of milk, bread, fruit, and meat. I need some veggies as well. I never had a chance to do it yesterday. I really, really, really, really hope this stuff with my stomach clears up enough to let me go to the store.

I’ll try to pop in later. I think I need to lie down again.

I mean, I didn’t realize it would be funny to an outsider!