How many Canadian provinces and US states have you been?

At one time I had the privilege of frequently flying all over Canada on business and getting to really know and love this country. Still, unless I’m misremembering I think I’ve missed out on PEI and Newfoundland.

As for the US, it’s probably easier to name the states I’ve been to than those I haven’t. Have been to California and New York multiple times, Massachusetts and New Hampshire a huge number of times, Hawaii and Texas once; Colorado, Louisiana, and Washington once or twice.

I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve never been to Canada.

I’ve been to a lot of states, though.

Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Georgia
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Missouri
Nevada
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Washington, DC
West Virginia
Wisconsin

That’s 29. So, little over half. A few, like W. Va, I haven’t spent a night in, but I have driven through them numerous times on the way east from Indiana, that my cumulative time there adds up-- and yes, I got out of the car. I’ve eaten more meals there than I can count, went with my mother over and over to a crystal ware outlet she loved, and gone to other attractions there, like a place called The Train and Toy Museum when my son was 3.

By earlier definition, I have spent at least 24 hours in all provinces and Northwest Territories.

I have been in 21 states: Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North and South Dakota, Michigan, Virginia, Maryland, New York and New Jersey, Massachusetts and Florida.

Having driven coast to coast twice, I drove though a couple more.

The OP didn’t ask, but I’ve also been to 12 U.S. National Parks.

That’s a decent alternative way to define it. Flying through airports doesn’t count, just driving through doesn’t count, but if you slept there or walked outdoors, you scored.

By that more relaxed standard I’ve never been to 4 states: ID, MT, ND, and VT. In fact to the best of my knowledge I’ve never been to those 4 by any standard. Everywhere else I’ve either slept there or at a minimum walked around outdoors there while driving through. In addition to PR mentioned in my earlier post, by your relaxed standard I’ve also scored USVI but still am missing Guam, the Marianas, and American Samoa.

31 states, Puerto Rico, Guam and the USVI, 6 Canadian provinces (YT, NWT, BC, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec. Also, at least 25 national parks and 23 national monuments. Oh, and 38 countries.

I’m 50 of 50 on US states, 9 of 13 on Canada’s provinces & territories, and 52 of 63 on US national parks.

Have never set foot in Canada. I’ve been to every U.S. state that is both east of the Mississippi River and south of the Great Lakes, save for South Carolina; as well as Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Colorado, Nevada and California. I’ve also been to airports in both Portland (OR) and Phoenix (AZ) but was in and out in a few hours. I’ve also been to USVI and Puerto Rico for a few hours each (cruise ship).

Twenty-seven states and five provinces, with the 24 hour rule. I’ve avoided the deep south and lower midwest and intend to keep doing that. Of them all, I really only want to see Cape Breton in Nova Scotia again. My traveling days are pretty much done.

I’ve been to Ontario, and these U.S. States:

Alabama
Alaska
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Florida
Georgia
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Primarily through work. Interestingly, I’ve never set foot in Arizona. I might have driven through parts of Virginia. And technically I think I was in Maine when I visited the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard.

Nope, the official qualification is leaving the airport to do something to get state or place recognition. Overnight in Montana, you’ve been to Montana.

Easier for me to list the states and provinces I’ve NOT been to:

States I’ve missed: South Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska, Hawaii.

Provinces/territories I’ve missed: PEI, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, NWT, Nunavut.

One province (B.C.), and not counting the several evenings in Windsor, Ontario.

Twenty-four states for me (resided in three).

I’ve been to Wyoming once.

There was an incident at one of the MMIII silos, so my coworker and I had to visit F.E. Warren AFB for a week. We flew in to Denver then headed north. I will never forget driving up to the Wyoming border on Route 25… look left, look right, and “nothingness” as far as you could see.

Only Ontario for Canada.

I have been in roughly 35 states. Some probably don’t count, like Delaware, because we visited it so we could spend a few hours with one of dad’s cousins back in about 1973.

I’ve visited pretty much all of them. I’ve not visited the Canadian territories (Yukon, NWT, etc.), but I have been to PEI.

All 50 states; the last two on my list were Georgia and Hawaii. For Georigia, I spent about 4 days in a hotel during wintertime–it was a biz. conference. For Hawaii, it was my honeymoon in 2003.

I used to drive around the country a lot. I also flew to several IT Conferences. My Navy time added a few extra states and Vancouver.

I seem to have 40 total. Only British Columbia in Canada so far.

I’ve missed the North West from the Dakotas over. The far North East and Arkansas.

Summary
  1. Hawaii
  2. DC
  3. NJ
  4. NY
  5. Conn
  6. RI
  7. Mass
  8. Penn
  9. Del
  10. Maryland
  11. Virginia
  12. W. Virginia
  13. NC
  14. SC
  15. Georgia
  16. Florida
  17. Ohio
  18. Indiana
  19. Illinois
  20. Missouri
  21. Nebraska
  22. Texas
  23. Kansas
  24. Oklahoma
  25. New Mexico
  26. Arizona
  27. Nevada
  28. Utah
  29. Colorado
  30. Nevada
  31. California
  32. Alabama
  33. Mississippi
  34. Louisiana
  35. Tennessee
  36. Kentucky
  37. Wisconsin
  38. Minnesota
  39. Michigan
  40. Vancouver (British Columbia)

By the OP’s standards I’ve been in BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI and Newfoundland in Canada. In the US I’ve been in Oregon, Washington, California, Missouri, Georgia, Florida, New York, Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.

I was thinking about this question a little more: there are two states on my “been there” list which barely qualify, as I was only in those states one time, for just about 24 hours (Oklahoma, and Rhode Island). Similarly, I’ve technically been in Nebraska, but that was for only about 8 hours, while on a train, and I never set foot on the ground there, so I don’t count that state.

Then, I thought about which states I’ve been in for at least a month, in total. I came up with seven:

• Illinois (have lived here for 43 years, over two stretches)
  • Wisconsin (lived there for 14 years)
  • California (lived there for 3 months, plus a fair number of visits)
  • Florida (numerous visits to my father-in-law, plus vacations and business trips)
  • Indiana (primarily gaming convention trips)
  • Ohio (primarily gaming convention trips)
  • Alabama (entirely business trips)

By that test, I’ve got 6: Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec, Connecticut, New York and Nova Scotia.