Is There Any Addition to Rice Krispie Squares That Makes Them Better Than The Original?

I claim the answer is no. But adding Dairy Milk chocolate comes close.

Once went to a Vegas buffet that had dozens of variations. Didn’t think any of them improved a good thing.

Peanut Butter.

I had browned-butter Rice Krispy treats recently. I much prefered non-browned butter.

I’m a purist - I agree with you.

Thats how I made them.

Reese’s pair nicely, with or without ice cream. But I wouldn’t say they are better.

In a batch with 10 cups of Rice Krispies, add 1/2 cup of Cocoa Krispies. They will be even sweeter than the usual bars, but very good.

Uh. Miniature M&Ms. Mini multicolor Marshmallows.
Pecans. Mini Chocolate chips. Coconut flakes. Nerds. Skittles.

Pretty much anything mini.
We’ve discussed bacon bits. It ain’t happened yet.

Any kid will have a 100 ideas

Half Coco Krispies and half something blander like Cheerios might be interesting. And why does the cereal always have to be Rice Krispies? Trix Treats sounds good to me :slightly_smiling_face:

heh try fruity pebbles

IMHO nope…Rice Krispie treats can not be improved upon (although the browned butter version might do it…will have to try).

I will say, I find almost all Rice Krispie treats sold in stores to be not good. They usually get the ratios wrong. Mass produced packaged versions are universally terrible (in my universe anyway).

Just follow the instructions on the side of the box and it is hard to go wrong. Use actual Rice Krispies, good butter (basically normal, salted butter…never ever margarine) and a decent marshmallow (mostly whatever is on the shelf…the small ones melt faster).

My daughter made marshmallows once, and one variety was strawberry flavored. I used some of them to make RK treats, and they were really good! Sadly, my daughter never made marshmallows ever again…

I use Rice Krispies treat mix to make candy sushi. That’s a huge improvement over the plain version.

I’ve had green butter versions (IYKWIM). Did not taste better.

Good point. The treats can indeed be made better - for someone with celiac disease.

Strangely, Rice Krispies and many of the store brand equivalents are not gluten free. Rice Chex, on the other hand, are. I made the treats recently with the store brand Chex equivalent, and my family said they were quite as good as the original recipe.

Apparently not all brands of marshmallow are gluten free either (really?) so check on whatever brand of those you use.

I was just the opposite. Normally I think rice krispy treats are mediocre, what you get when the real cookies are gone. But when my wife made them with browned butter? Holy moly those were good.

Make them with Lucky Charms. That is probably better in my opinion.

I use a little extra butter for chewiness, and vanilla extract.

Butterscotch chips. Soooooooo goooooood

Cheetos, or shrimp chips. I know many people don’t like mixing sweet and savory, but it’s a winning combo for me.

What is “candy sushi?”