Lost 1.21 "The Greater Good"

A thought occured to me overnight. What if the empty coffin Jack found wasn’t his father’s, it was Sayid’s friends? The CIA pulled a switcherooni on Sayid and really did cremate the friend.

Interesting idea, but what would be the motivation?

Revenge?

Spoiler free specualtion:

The reason there doesn’t seem to be a plan among the passengers of the raft, is that the writers never planned on letting the raft sail. Since it won’t happen, the writers haven’t bothered with fleshing out those details.

Yes, definitely Michael hunching over like something is horribly wrong in his midsection.

After the show, I rewound and watched Hurley sing again at least three times. I don’t think it will ever stop being funny.

In the first few minutes, the makeup (I hope) job on Jack was unbelievable–I’ve never seen anyone look that tired, with the eye-bags and everything, and buy it as completely.

Oh, and in case any of the TiVoers or tapers missed it–Friday at 10, some big Lost interview special–whatever it is ABC does to fill their Friday at 10 slot. :slight_smile:

Wow!

And dang! Sawyer looks hot in those glasses!

Living up to your user name, huh?

Gah - I got a phone call during the show and missed Boone’s funeral scene.

Anybody kind enough to tell me what happened, or direct me to transcript?

But the raft WILL set sail. It just won’t achieve what they hope it to achieve.

Jack asked Shannon if she’d like to say a few words, and she said no. Then there was some uncomfortable silence, and Sayid stepped in, saying something to the effect of “I didn’t know Boone well, but when that lady was drowning, he was first in the water to save her. He was a hero.” And then Locke showed up and admitted everything was his fault, and Jack jumped him.

If you wait a couple hours, the ABC site should have a detailed recap.

Muchos gracias, Draelin.

A few observations…

I actually thought Sayid’s flashback was supposed to be a parallel to what Locke and Boone had gone through. Sayid takes a course of action which he thinks will benefit him personally (finding Nadia) but it results in the death of a friend. Locke took a course of action which he thought would benefit him personally (keeping his ability to walk) and it resulted in the death of a friend (Boone).

I also noticed the discrepancy between what Sayid said about Nadia in Solitary (where he tells Rousseau that she is dead because of him) and this episode where she is apparently alive (as I see no reason to disbelieve what the CIA woman told him). Either there is a continuity error or something happens in the 26 hours between the time the CIA woman gave him the info and the time he actually gets on the plane that we haven’t seen yet.

Does anyone think there is any significance to Jack’s near collapse near the end of the episode? Jack is running into the jungle with the others looking for Shannon/Locke and falls down, prompting Kate to go back for him. Residual effect of the sleeping pills/blood loss/fatigue or something else?

Also, any significance to the fact that Sayid reminds us of the woman who drowned off the beach an episode or two before the raft sails?

:eek: Are you people nuts? Have you forgotten the first rule of Lost?

THOU SHALT NOT ANSWER THE PHONE WHILE LOST IS ON!!!

:wink:

I never took Sayid’s statement literally about Nadia being dead. More like: I’ll never see her again, so she might as well be dead.

As I suspected, mostly character development and very little evolution of the plot. The whole time Shannon had the gun pointed at Locke, I kept saying “Shoot, Chloe, shoot!” :slight_smile:

Next week’s show looks like a real good one. Interesting that Walt tells them not to open the hatch. “Out of the mouths of babes…”

OK, so, like, this totally misses the point of the entire rest of the episode, but: Kate said she gave a Jack a crushed-up sleeping pill, but did she really? I’ve hold my husband before that I was giving him a sleeping pill, and it was really just an aspirin. Jack didn’t look like he needed the extra help – he just needed to sit still for a minute. Maybe the juice was just juice, you know?

What’s even worse–my doorbell rang right when Sayid was proving himself to the terrorists by finding their smoke-detector bug. Since my doorbell never rings and it was perfectly obvious to anyone outside that the apartment was occupied, I had to run down the stairs and open the door, thinking it could have been one of my friends, deciding to come over to watch with me, even though she said she wasn’t.

It was some guy running for town council. He’s handing me pamphlets and trying to talk to me, and I actually said “I’m sorry, but Lost is on, and I can’t miss anything.” And shut the door in his face.

I felt bad until I looked at the pamphlets and discovered he was a Republican.

Hell, they don’t even know this is an island!!! For all they know of the geography around them the “others” could be a condo owners association a little ways down the beach.

-rainy

No, I think she actually drugged him. All the blinking and trying desperately not to lie down.

But nice work placebo-ing your husband. :slight_smile:

See here’s another one. Instead of taking the time to squeeze fruits for juice, maybe, just maybe you should put the whole friggin mango in a backpack and start walking down the beach to see if you end up back where you started as oppossed to ending up in, say Honolulu!

-rainy

…OR MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WILL DIE!!!

Oops, sorry. Some of that 24 mojo sneaked in there.

Thanks. Otherwise I would never get to watch Survivor in peace, you know? I can’t be disturbed while I’m nerd-lusting. :smiley: