NFL 2022: Week Seventeen Seconds

I’m still trying to comprehend this. The {\color{blue}\mathbf{GIANTS}} clinched a playoff spot and did it by blowing out the Colts. Holy Cow.

Right at the moment they’re still alive, but they need the Packers to lose this game against the Vikings. If the Pack wins, they’re 8-8. The Lions are also 8-8, and play Green Bay next week, so whoever wins that would get to 9-8.

Or they could tie and join Washington at 8-8-1…

Packers are doing well, but don’t worry they will blow it.

Brian

Yep, but according to the playoff machine that would put the Lions in, not Washington.

Fair enough. I didn’t take the time to figure it out.

I should also point out that Seattle is 7-8 and leading the Jets right now. They host the Rams next Sunday. So they also could finish 9-8.

Kirk Cousins has thrown three interceptions so far, and the Packers are up by 31, early in the 4th quarter. Then again, after that 33-point comeback a few weeks ago, I don’t count any chickens before they hatch.

Edit: Now it’s a 38 point lead, with 9:25 left. Still not counting any chickens. :wink:

The announcer on Red Zone just stated that if the Packers win, both the Saints and Commanders are eliminated.

Packers up 41-10 at the 2 minute warning. I give them a 60% chance of winning (MN has all 3 timeouts)

Brian

Robbie Gould missed a FG at the end of regulation that would have won it. Raiders and Niners in OT in Vegas.

Remarkable punt play near the end of the Bucs-Panthers game. Jake Camarda bobbled a short snap, ran left and somehow got a kick off (from the 50-yard line) that somehow made it to the 2-yard line. A penalty forced a re-kick, which put the Panthers at the 9-yard line.

If the Packers beat Detroit next week, they are in the playoffs as the last WC team

If the Lions win, Seattle will be the last WC team with a win. Otherwise, Detroit will be the last WC.

Eagles still have the inside track for the #1 seed, but they need to beat the Giants next week. Otherwise, Dallas could win the division with a win over Washington. If the Eagles lose and the Niners win, SF is the #1 seed in the NFC.

This is what the Playoff Machine told me, anyway.

That was how I heard it described on SiriusXM’s NFL channel. Of the three, only the Packers control their own destiny; the Lions and Seahawks both need help (as well as a win) to get in.

Strangely, the Seahawks are currently the seventh seed, but if they and the Packers both win next week the Packers will leapfrog ahead of the 'Hawks and into seventh.

Does anyone know what accounts for that? Both teams have the same W-L record (and still will if both teams win next week), so it must be one of the tiebreakers. Is it the record amongst common opponents, or something like that; if the Packers beat the Lions they’ll gain the tiebreaker advantage?

A better record against NFC opponents, if they both finish at 9-8, according to this article. The Packers would be at 7-5 against the NFC, while the Seahawks would be 6-6.

A three-way tie between the Seahawks, Packers, and Lions would first eliminate either the Packers or the Lions based on division tiebreakers. My guess is that the Seahawks win tiebreakers against the Lions but lose to the Packers, and that the Lions are currently ahead of the Packers in the division.

The first wildcard tiebreaker involving multiple divisions is to start with division tiebreakers to get the wildcard tie down to just one team from each division.

EDIT: On preview, I didn’t see any details about the tiebreakers in the linked article, only who wins the tiebreakers.

It’s a poorly-laid-out article; the answer is about 2/3 of the way down (emphasis mine):

This cannot happen, as they are all 8-8, and the Packers and Lions play each other next week.

Although if both games end in a tie, they would all be 8-8-1.

No I mean right now the Lions are ahead of the Packers in the division by virtue of divisional tiebreakers. So right now, the Packers aren’t even considered in the wildcard tie between the Seahawks, Lions and Packers. Meaning the Seahawks are ranked 7th because they win the tiebreakers against the Lions.

But next week if both the Seahawks and Packers win, then the Packers beat the Seahawks on tiebreakers. They also might right now, but they don’t beat the Lions so they don’t even get into the tiebreaker.

That’s how the leapfrog can happen.

This is correct.

But as you noted, things will change depending on the results next week.

And, yes, if the Packers and Seahawks both finish 9-8, Packers will win the tiebreaker, as @kenobi_65 noted, by virtue of a better conference (NFC) record. They will have the same divisional record and they will have split the season series.

If the Lions and Seahawks both finish 9-8, then Seattle will win the tiebreaker, because Seattle beat Detroit earlier in the season.