NFL Week 5

The Ravens have blown 4th quarter leads in 3 of their 4 losses; in the first, the blew a lead with 22 seconds remaining in the third quarter. The post-Suggs defense is far from good, but they’re… ok… for the first 45 minutes of every game. Then they turn to paper. After more than 15 years of the defense carrying the team, it’s more than a little weird change to see Baltimore’s offense doing everything they can to bail out the defense.

No cite, but I think it gets you however many points the offense was attempting. If you return a 2 point attempt, you’d get 2; if you block a kick and return it, you’d get one.

One and four, but that’s small comfort.

The Saints looked pitiful on both sides of the ball today. I’m starting to think Brees is done in New Orleans after this year, and may need to retire. He’s lost velocity, and I think he may have reinjured the shoulder a little today.

Nope, 2-0.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/emergencies

With new rules this year, a highly unlikely though not inconceivable 1 point safety on a pat, for the defense, could result with a team having a final score of 1… Though it would still need to be 6-1 at a minimum.

On the bottom scroll, right? Wow, I didn’t misread that!

In case anyone didn’t already know, the first score was on a sack-fumble in the end zone. There wasn’t a very clear “on the field” call during the game before going to the booth to review it. But, since it was certainly either a 2 point safety or a 6 point recovery for a TD it was a scoring play either way. It’s probably a mistake on CBS’s part but it’s possible that it was an intentional placeholder for the TBD score coming out of the commercial break preceding the booth decision.

Yes, that’s the one. I suspect we’ll never see it happen, though.

Guess Rogers is human, but luckily the Pack out-intercepted the Rams
(I was out enjoying the nice day and only saw the last quarter and part of the third)

Brian

I came in from mowing the lawn and saw Stafford throw the first TD of the game. I said to myself, “Nah, you’re not fooling me this week, Lions”, and went and did some other chores. It was 35-7 when I came back.

At least the Wings look good this year! I’ll be hanging out in the NHL thread, I guess.

I assume all the people will be jumping off the Seahawks bandwagon. I truly enjoy watching this group of egomaniac prima donnas lose.

The stupid 12th man gimmick can be returned back to college ball. Maybe they can pass around Russell Wilson’s Jesus Juice.

Josh McCown is your Browns franchise single game record holder for passing yards with 457. And this with almost undoubtedly the worst receiving group in the league.

I should start betting on sports.

And no QB controversy in Detroit despite Stafford having to sit on the bench for being just terrible against the Cardinals. What happened to that guy, though?

Hey we’ll be back just as soon as we can make a first down in the 4th quarter to hold on to a lead (going back to the last Super Bowl).

Rookie mistake not dragging that foot.

Their coaching is just terrible. There have been numerous reports that the opposing teams know exactly what plays the Lions are running very frequently during the games, and they are able to jump the routes due to that.

The offensive coordinator is trying to make Stafford into an under-center QB, when he’s clearly more comfortable in the shotgun. He’s trying to make this a dink-and-dunk, ball control offense, when the personnel (Stafford, Calvin, Golden Tate) is built to go down the field. Look at when the Lions have been at their best this year: hurry up situations.

It’s disgusting to watch a coach ruin a team like this.

That explains why Theo Riddick had 10 catches. He’s a great run-after-catch receiver, but not the downfield threat that Megatron and Tate are.

CFL I believe and NCAA too IIRC.
Factoid: a forfeited baseball game is scored 9-0

There appears to be a one-point safety rule on extra points which, at least in theory, could be scored by either team.

So, I know it’s early, and this is obviously just my misplaced Bears optimism, but I think the NFC wild card race is going to be crazy this year. Only 5 teams are currently over .500. I think the East will end up in the usual Week 17 battle for the division winner. The Vikings and the Bears have an easiest enough schedule that one of them could grab the Wildcard spot.