(Old) Going bats in the MMP

I was just enjoying the bats dancing around our 4 o’clocks (night blooming flowers) and wondered how many of us are bat fans.

I think they are super cute, and love hearing their sonar ping but I understand that some people aren’t fans.

I also wonder how high bats fly after mosquitoes. We once camped out next to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and heard the pings above and below us.

Anyone else ever get up late at night to look at the bats?

And new thing I learned…not only do bats have nipples, they also regurgitate nectar for their pups.

First! Finally!!!

Second! W00T!

Up, caffeinated, and sheveled. Off to heave.

Well, we used to throw rocks up in the air, and watch the bats dive at them.

actually I never had to go far to see the bats…for some reason at my grandparents’ house the bats made anest in the “breezeway” as they say …

t was running battle for a while and didn’t help matters by bringing my cat with me when I lived there … …they thought that since they lived next to an open field and had old an moldering hay barn in the back the bats were catching the mice and well there was a hole the bats could fly into in the back wall eventually they fixed the hole and used some sort of repellant that kept them out of the house but cat was confused the whole as the look on her face was "they fly now? No fair! " she did manage to pounce one but it shook her off …

Morning, mumpers! It’s currently 8c/47f with a predicted high of 13c/56f, and cloudy. Weather app must be confused as it tells me “This is a great fucking day if you burn easily like I do. Fuck the sun.” Yes, I do burn very easily, and no I am not a great fan of sun, but I doubt we’ll be seeing any of it today. I need to post a birthday card today so the furthest I am going outdoors is across the road to the postbox and that can be accomplished in less than a minute.

From the end of last week’s, MMP, we have a pair of peregrine falcons nesting on campus. They picked the large clock tower (Old Joe) and seem totally unconcerned about the regular chiming. Last year when it was evident there were babies, the clock’s bells were stopped so that the young 'uns weren’t disturbed too much by it.

I haven’t seen any bats around there yet! There’s a country pub that we go to in the summer which is right next to a chuchyard with lots of trees, we’ve often seen bats flying around there at night. I’ve seen a couple elsewhere but we don’t see them very often.

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffeinatin’. YAWN ‘Tis 50 Amurrkin out and clear with a predicted high of 78 and N.O.S. for the day. Today’s agenda includes sloth, general overall uselessness, nappage, and day drinkin’. Sup shall be shrimpies, grilled chikin, roasted spare guts and sallit. YUM!

I don’t see a lot of of bats around here, but I think they are cool. I saw 'em a lot as a cub when I would spend time on my aunt’s and uncle’s farm. Bats hung out in the old barn they had as well as in the trees.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then, onward into the day! Rah,

Happy Moanday Y’all!

There is a very cool walk-through bat exhibit at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. I love looking at them, but oh, man, the smell. It’s been many years since I visited WDW; I’d love to get back there soon.
Last fall Mrs W and I sat and watched a flock of bats (“flock”? Is that right?) from the balcony of the hotel we were staying at. They are fascinating creatures, as Mr. Spock might say.

Another week begins in beautiful Arkadelphia. The hotel has a pretty decent free breakfast so that’s a plus. I’m sitting down here now waiting for my ride. Still not used to getting up this early!

Since Higgs won’t be delivered back to us till later this morning, I didn’t have to get up at stupid o’clock to let her out. I slept, then read, then played with my tablet till nearly 7 this morning!! It was glorious. I have since had some toast and started to get caught up after 2 days away from my 'puter.

When we bought this house, there was a rotting bat house on one of the trees, but it soon came down in pieces, and while I’ve wanted to replace it with several others, that never seemed to be a priority. I’ve occasionally seen bats zipping by in our back yard - I agree they are cool critters. Maybe I should dig out some bat house plans and make a couple.

We arrived home last evening to a couple of piles of cat hork in the kitchen, and there were a couple more piles this morning. But she was up and about and snarfed down her morning treats, so maybe it was stress/anxiety of being home alone over night? Dunno. I’ll keep an eye on here. But she is approaching old-lady-hood - I think she’s about 15. Dammit.

I did sleep soundly and solidly and I’m feeling almost normal this morning. Honestly, about the worst part of the trip was the crap eating. I think the only vegetable I had was a pickle on my burger. So today it’s back to eating right.

I also plan to make a big pot of bean soup, and give some to MIL, along with the pulled poke and some 'nanner bread. I’m also going to make a couple of quiches and give her some. And, speaking of pie crusts from the last MMP, I use the pre-made rolled-up crusts, so mock away. I know how to make a crust from scratch, but I choose not to. I have nothing to prove and I HATE doing it. So I won’t. :stuck_out_tongue: The rolled ones are fine. I’m not crust snob! :stuck_out_tongue:

Visiting hours at the behavioral unit are 6-8PM, so MIL will hang out here most of the day, then I’ll take her over to see BIL.

Part of the conversation on the way home involved him. I know she’s torn - despite his mental problems, he is capable of dealing with many aspects of his life, but he doesn’t want to. I think it’s largely because most of his life, his parents have done for him. But MIL is old and tired and it’s just too much for her. FCD would gladly help if his brother would, first of all, ask for help, and secondly, not pitch a fit when the help didn’t meet his expectations (i.e. make his life smooth and worry-free.) But how do you convince someone like that to grow up? Dunno. And I don’t know if we’ll figure it out. But if he doesn’t keep up with his psych meds, this will keep happening, and short of putting him in a home where they’ll dose him regularly, I just don’t know.

One really nice thing to look forward to - the weather for Sat promises to be glorious for the school fundraiser. Some of the stuff I’ll try to sell:
Imgur
Imgur
I’ll try to remember to take some pics when I set up my table.

Guess I should get out of my jammies and into clothes. Eventually, anyway.

Happy Moanday!!

Mornin’ all!! About 30 minutes pre-dawn so the sky’s just lightening in tinges of red & purple. Few clouds and a cool 65/18 on the way to a sunny 86/30.

Bats: We used to have them pretty routinely when I lived on the lake in MO. I always enjoyed them although I’ve never been able to hear their pings. Whenever my late first wife or I would spot them we’d call the other out to watch. “Go bats! Eat bugs!” was our encouraging cheerleading. I’ve not seen bats in other areas I’ve lived.

No conversation about bats would be complete without mention of downtown Austin’s famous bat bridge: Bats in Austin, TX (austintexas.org). See Shoe, no preview box just for you. :kissing: I’ve been to the bridge several times during the day, and heard (and smelled) the sleeping colony gently sort of chirping at one another. I’ve never been to Austin with the right schedule to attend the mass fly-out at dusk. It attracts quite the crowd of humans to see the ginormous crowd of bats.

Leftovers from last week’s MMP:
FCM: welcome home from that ordeal and welcome to the next one. Here’s hoping your day at the hospital with MIL goes well. Or at least as well as it can.

Yaay!! I know you were hoping to not have a window facing your way, but replacing that firetrap is sure to result in better tenants.

The correct term for those little ones is “LBTBs” = Little Brown Tweety Birds. Pronounced “elBee-TEEbeez” :wink:

When I lived in the highrise near downtown St. Louis there was a redtail who lived in or near our building. We’d often spot it perched on someone’s balcony railing. Very few pigeons about and we always credited the hawk with that.

We do have some hawks & sea eagles around here. We usually see them soaring over the golf course. Also some soaring white seabirds, egrets I think.

This. Can’t say it better. Congrats.

All that back and forth about pie crusts sure sounded tasty. I was the primary only cook for the 30+ years of my first marriage. I was never a baker. Yes, I can bake a basic loaf of bread & enjoy doing it. But just never got into baking sweets.

As to me: My yesterday got fun, maybe too fun.

Had early afternoon beaching; very nice. Her Ladyship was attending her monthly sorority alum dinner that night so I was solo. One of my long-time pilot friends recently moved jobs from Dallas to Miami & lives about 15 miles / 30 minutes from here, also near the beach in a touristy zone w lots of eatin’ and drinkin’ within walking distance.

Anyhow we did a lot of that and I got home around midnight-30. I really need to figure out how to find the line between “do” and “overdo” while it’s still in the windshield, not in the rearview mirror. When I got home Her Ladyship was happily watching psychopaths. She said she’d had a fine evening with the ladies.

My pal and I had been nosing around the idea of taking a trip someplace; he travels LOTS and I’ve had the chance to travel very little. Early last night we settled on a plan. We leave here on Wed to go to Liberia Costa Rica. Liberia itself is nothing, but it’s the gateway to some great beaching in a sort of new age hippie kinda vibe colony called Tamarindo. We’ll do that Wed-Fri then his GF is flying down from Dallas where she still lives, so we’ll drive back to the airport, get her, then we’ll head inland to one of the volcano national parks for the weekend, then fly home on Mon. Should be fun.

Overall probably a pretty Bohemian and outdoorsy Mother Nature week, both of which I don’t get enough of here in the MetroBlob. Her Ladyship was not interested in this or the other couple of iterations that fell through already. So this will be our first stab at me traveling without her not for irk. She says she’s totally OK with it; we shall see.

One possible show-stopper issue is his Dad still lives in Dallas in a conventional apartment and at age 86 is now having all his wheels fall off at once. Besides rapidly fading ambition & memory, the acute problem is severe arthritic hip pain that the docs are badly under-medicating due to the opioid DEA scare. Leaving Dad not quite immobilized in his apartment, but close. He ought to have a hip replacement, but may have aged out of the window. Sigh. I’ve known Dad a long time, but we’ve not talked in about 3 years; back then he was still a force of Nature. Six months ago he was taking ocean cruises on his own. Pal tells me that now even if he could walk easily, the grocery store is challenging.

He ought to move to independent living near his two sons in Ft. Lauderdale. He used to live down here, so the idea of Florida is not anathema. They telI me that moving to Independent Living anywhere probably is anathema. Or at least was a month ago before his shit really hit the fan. We shall see, but I bet it’s not gonna be easy.

It’s now 8am after a couple of interruptions and I’ll get this on the wire.

Happy Moanday to all!! Cheers!

ETA: FCM those crotchet items are glorious! And hooray for favorable weather.

The BIL situation is obviously terrible, but at least it sounds like MIL is realistic about her expectations for herself and you two. The only thing worse than one person who won’t be realistic is two people who won’t be realistic. You dodged that bullet.

Congrats also on sleeping in. I failed in that. In bed at 1am and up at 5:45 and a bit bedraggled. Gonna be a nap in here somewhere.

Hi!! How has everyone been?

TokyoWife has been gone to Taiwan, then Tokyo, then Taiwan and such so I’ve had the TokyoKids for most of the time. I have great respect for single parents. I only do this for a few weeks or a month at a time, but it keeps you busy.

TokyoGirl is on a school trip this week. They go and work on a farm for 10 days. It was TokyoBoy and I holding down the fort for most of this, but TokyoWife is finally back, and just in time for my B-day, today.

Damn, I’m getting old!! We did yakiniku, which is grilling meat at the table. Sort of like your own teppanyaki, but usualy thinner cuts. We had some wagyuu in addition to the normal Australian beef. It was good.

I’ll try to pop in more often here. Hope everyone is doing well.

Welcome back Sensei. Yeah, this MMP thing can be a real timesuck.

Happy Birthday to you!!!

Good lord, I slept for eleven hours! Haven’t done that since. . .ever.

The wife has been jonesing for a beef-on-weck sandwich of late. It’s a Buffalo thing where thinly sliced roast beef is piled on a bun that is topped with caraway seeds (kummelweck) and salt. It’s one of those things that you grow up with. I had one when we visited Buffalo a few years ago and wasn’t all that impressed with it; I prefer a good cheesesteak. Anyway, we found a place here in MSP that has them on the menu, so off we went. She proclaimed it acceptable, although the bun wasn’t up to her standards. I had a very good cheeseburger that was actually not cooked until it was leather.

Breakfast will likely be a redux of the cornmeal pancakes from yesterday. Damn, but they’re the best cakes I’ve ever eaten.

Bats? I got nothin’.

Hello, dear Mumpers. I’m baaaack. I haven’t finished reading all of last week’s MMP, but I did see the prayers and good wishes, and I’m really moved. I don’t want to go into the bad news I had, but I do want to reassure you that nobody’s dying and nobody’s going to jail.

I’m housesitting for my son and his wife. It’s sooo quiet here. My DIL’s mom was housesitting before I arrived. She left a sparkling clean house, a welcome note, and a lovely panettone. I’m going to wash the towels and rags she used for cleaning and water the plants. I’ll also go for a walk and do my exercises.

For those who haven’t fallen asleep during Knee Watch 2023: The Nellie Files, my knee is about the same. I can flex to 120º but need to be able to do that without so much effort. It’s still very swollen.

My brand new contacts arrived the other day, and I betcha I can see 20/30 or better. I’m really, really grateful. I used to take a moment each day to focus on something, maybe just dishes in a sink or the shadow of a tree and realize with gratitude that I was seeing it for 3 people, myself and the two cornea donors. I’m chagrined but must admit that when my vision got bad and couldn’t be corrected, I stopped. Now I’ve started doing that again. Good vision makes me a better person. :slightly_smiling_face:

OK, what’d I miss?

I like bats. We used to have night hawks at our place in Wyoming, plus regular hawks and the occasional eagle.

FCM, I’m sorry about your BIL. It’s a tough situation with no good resolution. I LOVE those critters you made, especially the adorable crab! Such talent!

Now there’s an unexpected line!

And another one! (I know piloting doesn’t count.)

Big hugs all around!

Started out in Smalls. With Shaggy, since he wants to “work” on Mondays, too. then I got sent to Secondary sort, then over to 200, to unscrew up the load the 12 year old looking Blueberry made(Jebus, did they cancel puberty or something?)
Sup: “You think you can fit it all in?”
Me: sure, as long as there aren’t any Irregs."
Sup: “uhhh…” < gesticulates towards 3 other stacks, and a big pile on the Irreg rollers >
Me: “Nope, even I can’t make that happen”
Luckily, there was an empty package car in the 223 slot, because we completely filled that with the one bulk stop. Mind you that first package car had 3 other bulk stops, and 60 regular stops still on it. Oh, and I had handled a bunch of those boxes in Sort, so I had to heave those boxes 3 friggin’ times. I need a nap and an Old Fashioned.

“A Bella Lugosi of bats”? :bat: :man_vampire:

Welcome back!

Glad you’re home safe, FCM, but sorry BiL is not helping help himself.

[Airplane] Well, let’s see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil…[/Airplane]

Morning all. After my exertions refereeing soccer yesterday, my body let me sleep in until 8am today, so will shortly get up to prepare for the first of my 5-S’s (Shopping and Sammich), with Swimming and Sauna to come later and finish off with Soccer. Another beautiful day, high near 80F and not a sign of rain.

doggio, sounds like a full (if not fun) day. Ever thought about becoming one of those package car drivers??

Pilot, sounds like a nice trip. I’m 2 weeks out from my Panama Canal cruise (I’ll leave from Miami but I don’t think I’ll be able to meetup, will be getting together with a bunch of old friends there) and I still need to do everything to prepare. Enjoy being a retired gentleman of leisure…

As for your friends dad, it’s something I think about too, I’m on my own and 71, still in good shape but I know the day is coming…my plan (such as it is) is to evaluate how I’m doing at 75-76 and maybe look for an apartment (independent or not) and start ‘downsizing’. We’ll see in a few years.

Nellie!!, glad to see you back. Wonderful that the contacts are doing so well, after all this time you deserved a break on them. Enjoy the housesitting.

Cookie, I’ve done the “OMG, I can’t believe I slept that long” before, just your body telling you it needed to re calibrate and do some catch-up.

Sensei, welcome back, sounds like family life is keeping you busy, visit us whenever you can.

FCM, can only offer {{{ }}}, have no idea what the best solution is for this.

So, bats…I admit that I don’t look around for them or make any effort to see them, but I do have a couple of bat stories. One is Carlsbad Caverns, they have an enormous bat population living in the caves (you can’t go to those areas on the regular tours) and around sundown you can be at the park near the cave entrance and watch several hundred thousand (not an exaggeration) bats flying out to do their nocturnal feeding…it’s quite a show.

Another great place for bats is Singapore’s “Night Zoo” (open late in the evenings for nocturnal animal displays). You can walk through a large enclosure of BIG Malaysian bats, and it’s so dark that you can be inches away before you notice them. Very memorable.

OK, that’s enough bats. Need to get moving to do my shopping and get my Jersey Mike’s #3 for sustenance. Take care all.

Howdy, y’all! I’m in da shop, contemplating having the idiot assistant make some stuff. Need to go help a buddy move a whole lot of props for his play in a little bit. Ah the joys of having a pick-up truck.

As to bats, the old family farmhouse, along with barn, had many bats. The night walk to the outhouse was perilous. One side of the farmhouse was not really “finished” shall we say, it was the workshop and wood storage area. Full of bats, and the resulting droppings. Exploring the barn was always met with the chirps of disturbed daytime bats.

One of the pieces of useless information forever stuck in my brain is that the restaurant Buffalo Wild Wings used to be known as “BW3,” an abbreviation of its original name, Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck. They ditched the “Weck” many years ago, but I still call it BW3.

Mrnin’ everyone.

Currently winging my way to the Show Me state. Haven’t been in the air very long.

I like bats.

Nellie so happy to see you post.

FCM, so sorry about the BiL problems. Hugs and strength to all of you.

Welp, gonna sit back and enjoy the view. Take care.

:rofl: But…aren’t you supposed to say, “Well, Swampy’s gay”?

I believe they merely extended it indefinitely.

Here’s a small thing that made me very happy…As my fellow Washingtonians know, we have only mail-in voting. I miss voting in person, plus NO “I VOTED” STICKERS! Usually I make my own. This year, we got a sticker in our ballot envelopes! I haven’t finished voting, but I’m awfully excited about that sticker! :slight_smile:

bats were the theme for the box this month. good box, it had a bat necklace (right on to me) and a bat ornament (right on the door) among other cool things.

i do like bats. good exterminators.