Puzzling Sit-Com questions from my youth

SirRay… you forgot the THIRD Gilligan’s Island movie, in which the Harlem Globetrotters get shipwrecked on the island and end up having to play basketball against a mad scientist’s all-robot team in order to save the Castaway Resort from being destroyed or bought out or something.

And didn’t those movies introduce an adult Thurston Howell IV?

I guess he could have been born before they got shipwrecked, but to think they never mentioned him.

I guess they didn’t want to implicate him in the drug smuggling thing…

As for your comments on Murder She Wrote, I always thought the same thing about Jonathan and Jennifer Hart. I mean, a friend of theirs would get killed every week. Wouldn’t you just stop accepting their invitations to the ballet?

George Burns was a radio personality of the 1930’s and 1940’s before becoming a TV personality. From the OTR comedy (especially of the variety nature) that I’ve listened to, the radio comedians of that era tended to “break the fourth wall” quite a bit.

Nanook, I’ve heard from many sources that Tina Louise is the biggest asshole in Hollywood, so your anecdote doesn’t surprise me in the least.

When were layoffs ever “temporary?” I was dismissed from Coke over a year ago, and they have yet to ask me to come back.

I’ll skip the obvious fact that none of the Cartwrights looked like family. What woman would ever get involved with one of them since any girlfriend, fiance, or sweetie any of them had was sure to die tragically shortly after?

Sure Ben was a wealthy rancher and land owner, but he was also a mysterious widower (perhaps several times over?). Was he in fact an old west version of Bluebeard or H.H. Holmes, marrying women, taking out large life insurance policies on his brides, then murdering them for the money to finance his land purchases and business enterprises after they gave him a child to throw off the law by playing the tragic widower and now single father? Or was he just a reverse Henry VIII killing his wives when they failed to give him daughters? This would explain his sons looking so different. I remember Little Joe explaining that they had different mothers who all died young to a woman in one episode, but I’m not sure if he was joking or not.

I explained the secret of the show Bonanza in a previous thread. It was mentioned on the show itself that the three sons were each from a different mother. Each mother had died young. I assume that they each died in childbirth. Here’s my theory: Ben Cartwright and Hop Sing were gay lovers. They wanted to have children to raise, so Ben would marry and bring his wife to the ranch. The child that the wife would soon be pregnant with would be born with no doctor or midwife around, and then Ben and Hop Sing would kill her. Ben would announce to his wife’s family that she had died in childbirth. Ben managed to do this three times. The murders certainly weren’t done for money, since Ben was quite rich anyway. That’s how he managed to get three women to marry him. They each thought that they would be able to take him for his money.

There were three Mr. Freezes and two Riddlers for that matter.

Dick actually dated, but Bruce apparently had no social skills, since he kept getting crushes on beautiful-but-evil-but-maybe-with-a-good-heart villainesses.

And how come no one ever noticed that all the people around Samantha kept changing appearance? Darren, Louise Tate and Mars. Kravitz all mysteriously looked like other people by the time the show ended. Was Samantha working with Dr. Bombay on a little unauthorized plastic surgery?

Ever notice the Cartwrights never changed clothes?
They wore the same thing in every single show.

So they could re-use standard scenes (Cartwrights riding across the range, or whatever) in any show.

What was McLean Stevenson smoking when he left MASH for ‘Hello Larry?’

What’s up with the MASH laugh track? I hear it’s not on Europe/else-where shows.

Why are building superintendents always creepy losers? (Schneider, Mr. Roper).

My favourite Rockford Files answering machine opening was some guy saying, “I see you’re using our unit, now how about paying for it?”

Wasn’t Dennis Franz slain in the opening of an episode of “Police Squad!”

Ben Cartwright’s wives:

Adam’s mother was Elizabeth. She was the daughter of a sea captain, and when Ben married her, he gave up being a sailor and started a store in Boston. She died of fever soon after Adam was born.

Hoss’s mother Ingrid was a storekeeper (played by Inga Swenson) that Ben met when he was trekking west. When Ben proposed, she sold her shares of the store to her brother Hoss and went cross country with Ben. She had Hoss and died during a Indian attack when she was shot with an arrow.

Little Joe’s mother was a New Orleans woman named Josephine. Ben met her when he was accursed of murdering her husband many years ago, and they finally tracked him down. Apparently the guy’s mother had hated his wife and paid someone to kill him, then they pinned it on Ben. Poor Josephine was ruined, and became a “saloon girl.” Josephine’s testimony cleared Ben, he married her and they went back to the Ponderosa. She was killed when a gang from New Orleans attacked the ranch and shot her to death.

Ben didn’t start out weathy. He made his money from the ranch.

I think the first appearance of Sarah Chalke as Becky on Roseanne (Chalke replaced Lecy Goranson in the role) ended with the family watching “Bewitched” and commenting on how ridiculous it was that no one noticed Darren looked different.

Comedy gold.

• Rick
  1. On “Married With Children”, whatever happened to the child named “Seven”? He just went upstairs and disappeared.

2. On “The Cosby Show” (the one where Cosby played Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable) what was the story with the character played by actress Erika Alexander in the show’s last season or so?

She wasn’t one of Cliff’s kids, and she wasn’t dating Theo, and she wasn’t the additional “cute” child played by Raven-Simone (who was supposed to be the child of Lisa Bonet’s character’s husband) and yet she was still always hanging out in the living room with her friends. I recently channel surfed into a “Cosby Show” rerun on Nick at Night and didn’t recognize anyone in the scene until ol’ Cliff wandered in.

1. On “Taxi”, how come only Latka couldn’t speak understandable English? None of the NYC taxi drivers I’ve encountered in real life can speak English very well.

2. I think this has been asked already, but how come on sitcoms such as “According to Jim” and “King of Queens” do such doltish guys get married to such hot babes?

Actually, that’s about it. The only reference they made to Seven after that season was a milk carton that had a “Have you seen me” ad on it with Seven’s picture.

It seems appropriate that the Bundy’s would actually forget that they were taking care of another child and didn’t notice when he turned up missing.

Re: The Cosby Show, the character in question was Claire’s 17 or so year old cousin, brought on sometime int he next to last season IIRC. (Could have been her niece.) It was because so many characters were leaving/too busy. She came from somewhere else to live with her; Detroit maybe, that sounds familiar for some reason.

I always had a suspicion that Marilyn Munster was actually a very crafty serial killer. You know,she was the only one of them that looked normal but also the only one that was actually dangerous.

Could someone here explain why I belive that Ben Cartright made his money as a ship owner/captain whaling out of New England?

Because your family had you fooled into thinking you were watching Bonanza when you were actually watching The Ghost and Mrs. Muir?

Didn’t The Cartrights own like half of Nevada?

The Cartwright Curse followed poor Little Joe for the rest of his life, in slightly altered form.

After moving away and changing his name to Charles Ingalls, he was able to marry a woman without having her die, but then all of his sons were doomed to die in infancy or stillbirth. Even adopting a son didn’t work, as those boys just died slower and more painfully.

Even death proved to be no solace for Little Joe, as he was pressed into service as an earthbound angel, travelling from place to place with the apparently immortal Isaih Edwards, who will no doubt one day lose his head to Duncan MacLeod.

And on a later Halloween episode, after Lecy came back, Sarah played a character who was trick-or-treating with her kids, and Roseanne says that Sarah’s character seems so nice that she wishes she was one of her own children. Also, all the photographs of Lecy-as-Becky remained in place, like nothing ever happened.

Very funny.

I was flipping around and caught a clip from Leave it To Beaver. I never knew that Larry Mondello’s Mom was Aunt Harriet from Batman.

So that means Larry and Dick Grayson are cousins.

So I guess when her nephew got rich, she left her husband and child, moved to Gotham City and started to live in Wayne Manor.