Quick, what's your current earworm?

Archer opening theme song.

I don’t like the song very much, but we had a lot of rain recently and somehow it got in my head. I can think of many Clapton songs I’d rather listen to, but nooooooo!

Nights in White Satin.

As is often the case, it came out of nowhere.

mmm

The cure.

The Mystic Moods Orchestra was a group known for mixing orchestral pop, environmental sounds, and pioneering recording techniques. It was created by audiophile Brad Miller. In 1968, the group released an album titled Emotions. It featured instrumental versions of well known tunes, like Eleanor Rigby, Sounds of Silence, Do You Know The Way To San Jose and many others. It also features some interesting sound effects…falling rain, roaring trains, airplanes, thunder, etc. I was three or four years old when my parents played this album many times. I remember laying on the carpet in front of our stereo’s large speakers being captivated at this amazing and unusual album. I really think this record drew me to interesting music and the use of sound effects (e.g. Pink Floyd, others).

Very recently I found this obscure record on Apple Music and listened to it for the first time in many years. The music is captivating and it is bringing back thoughts of what I felt hearing it as a small child so many years ago. Today the songs are sticking in my head and are truly the ultimate earworm right now. It also has an intriguing album cover featuring women “connected” with each other lying on the beach. Confusing as heck for my four year old self, as I remember. Check it out!!!

Several of these are available on Spotify.

mmm

I have no idea why but I wake up every morning with a pop song of some sort running through my head. (Even though my clock radio is set to play a Classical station.) It’s probably a residual effect of my 50 years in radio. This morning it’s “Man On the Moon” by R.E.M. I haven’t heard the song recently, haven’t read anything about Andy Kauffman, and why the song is running on my mental jukebox is a mystery. It will go away in a few hours, hopefully. I once had “Copacabana” playing for a few days and I was about to shoot myself.

Love love love this:

Because of this post in MPSIMS I’ve had Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes) by Edison Lighthouse rattling round my head.

(Complete with dancing troll. Oo-er.)

It’s OK once or twice, but I think I’ve had enough of it.

j

Sorry. Could be worse, though. Could be Nimoy singing about Bilbo Baggins.

Bolero.

Memphis Tennessee has ousted that Edison Lighthouse thing.

j

“El Paso”

I have a 52 year earworm. My uncle played it to scare me out of his bedroom, but it didn’t work. I thought it was funny. It is Crazy World of Arthur Brown, “Fire”.

To this day at some point during the day, Arthur Brown will jump into my brain and scream:

I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE!! AND I BRING YOU … FIRE!!! (nee nee neeeeeeeee!!)
tape slice.
rewind.
tape slice.
rewind.
tape slice.
rewind.
tape slice.
rewind.
tape slice.
rewind.

Repeat until insane, and then some.

For two glorious weeks in 1985 it was:

CRASH CRASH!! Oooh!! Rock me Amadeus!! CRASH CRASH!!

That wore off and Arthur Brown returned. This has happened every day since 1968.

I bought this 45 when I was maybe 12 years old. I had heard the song but did not know about the intro. I remember giving it its first spin - I played it LOUD, then immediately panicked at the God of Hellfire scream, a-feared that Mom had heard it.

mmm

ABBA — Thank You for the Music

I decided to post here rather than in the Pit like I really feel like.

Darn you to heck Gyrate

I’ve been in Rafaella Gabriela Sarsaparilla hell non stop for the past two days non stop and it shows no signs of abating. If go all Schumann and end up dying in a institution plagued by visions of aardvarks a kangaroos and a rhinoceroses I’m sending you the bill.

The sons’ verse from “Tradition,” Fiddler on the Roof, plus the Old Lady Tango “I Am Easily Assimilated,” Candide.

Hotel California — The Eagles

I recently had Hotel California stuck in my head, and realized it’s not a very good song.

The one that keeps coming back, like a plague, is Will Smith’s “Gettin’ Jiggy Wit’ It.” I did buy the album when it came out twenty(?) years ago, I know most of the lyrics, and only have myself to blame.