SDMB Fantasy Football DYNASTY League: Year 11

Last year’s thread
Hall of Champions:
2018 Champion: Ellis Dee
2017 Champion: VarlosZ
2016 Champion: SenorBeef (Exploding Pancakes)
2015 Champion: VarlosZ
2014 Champion: Stringer (We Do HGH)
2013 Champion: VarlosZ
2012 Champion: Hamlet (CuteWiddleBunny)
2011 Champion: SenorBeef (Exploding Pancakes)
2010 Champion: Stringer (We Do HGH)
2009 Champion: Really Not All That Bright

Points Leaders by Year (including Weeks 15-16)
2018: Hamlet: 2204.75
2017: RNATB: 2095.71
2016: Petey: 2018.97
2015: VarlosZ: 2183.64
2014: Stringer: 2177.27
2013: SenorBeef: 2132.81
2012: Stringer: 2095.83
2011: Stringer: 2229.75
2010: Stringer: 2167.03
2009: Hamlet: 2207.00

2018 Final Results:

1. New York Fanboys (Ellis Dee)
  2. HungryHungryHaruspex (Jules Andre)
  3. Moridwon (Hamlet)
  4. Nine Inch Neils (RNATB)
  5. Warner’s Brothers (dalej42)
  6. Ides of Martz (Omniscient)
  7. The Great Old Ones (Ol’Gaffer)
  8. No Use For A Name (Retrovertigo)
  9. Overly Sentimental (Overly Sentimental)
  10. JB’s Gusterrhoids (Justin Bailey)
  11. Exploding Pancakes (SenorBeef)
  12. Isotopes (Petey)

2019 Draft Order:
1.01 - Isotopes
1.02 - Exploding Pancakes
1.03 - JB’s Gusterrhoids
1.04 - Overly Sentimental
1.05 - Warner’s Brothers
1.06 - Ides of Martz
1.07 - The Great Old Ones
1.08 - No Use For A Name
1.09 - Nine Inch Neils
1.10 - Moridwon
1.11 - Warner’s Brothers (From: HungryHungryHaruspex)
1.12 - New York Fanboys

2.01 - Isotopes
2.02 - Exploding Pancakes
2.03 - JB’s Gusterrhoids
2.04 - Overly Sentimental
2.05 - Warner’s Brothers
2.06 - Ides of Martz
2.07 - The Great Old Ones
2.08 - No Use For A Name
2.09 - Nine Inch Neils
2.10 - Moridwon
2.11 - HungryHungryHaruspex
2.12 - New York Fanboys

3.01 - Isotopes
3.02 - Exploding Pancakes
3.03 - JB’s Gusterrhoids
3.04 - Overly Sentimental
3.05 - HungryHungryHaruspex (From: Warner’s Brothers)
3.06 - Ides of Martz
3.07 - The Great Old Ones
3.08 - No Use For A Name
3.09 - Nine Inch Neils
3.10 - Moridwon
3.11 - HungryHungryHaruspex
3.12 - New York Fanboys

There is only one outstanding trade from last season, which is reflected in the above draft order.

League dates:
Week 3 of preseason: Thursday, Aug. 22nd - Sunday. Aug. 25th
Final roster cuts: Noon ET Sunday, Aug. 25th
2019 Draft opening day: Monday, Aug. 26th
NFL opening day: Thursday, Sept. 5th
Archive
Year One through Nine League Thread and Trade Logs
Year Ten league thread
Year Ten trade log

Sorry the thread is late this year. Thanks to Jules for collecting all this data for me, and who will probably be redoing our schedule this year to the format we’ve been using for a few years, which puts the divisional games together and generally makes the end of year games more meaningful.

Rule changes or proposals for any sort are welcome for discussion.

Let’s remove the missed PAT penalty to reflect that they’re much more difficult now. I suggested this [post=21332637]last year[/post] as a rule change for this year, and here’s my follow-up.

The current PAT distance is the equivalent of a 30-39 field goal, which if it were a field goal would be +3 if you make it, -2 if you miss it, for a total of +1 if you miss one / make one.

Let’s normalize PATs to the same scale by removing the penalty for missing: +1 if you make it, 0 if you miss it, for a total of +1 if you miss one / make one.

EDIT: I’m concerned that the response is going to be “Let’s just remove kickers” and several people agree, but ultimately not enough to fully remove kickers and then nothing ends up being done at all. Let’s first agree to remove the PAT miss penalty, and then tackle the issue of removing kickers altogether if that’s what people want. (I don’t think I do, but I suppose I could be convinced.)

Sure, the PAT penalty thing is fine. I think one year we decided to play around with the idea of making kickers more efficiency based with increased penalties for misses, but it ended up just raising kicker score a bit overall. I’d be fine with going back to default kicker scoring, or, as a separate proposal, just getting rid of kickers.

Default scoring for kickers works for me.

I could be convinced to ditch kickers entirely if one or two people are passionate about it, but if nobody really cares either way, I vote keep them.

The SDMB has been acting up over weekends lately. I’d suggest some leniency over weekends if this happens. I know we try to do a lot of the draft over weekends.

Hello everyone! This is the best thread of the year. Actually, it’s the only one I ever post in anymore.

I am strongly in favor of the proposal to remove the extra point penalty, and I am also in favor of getting rid of kickers. My mind has changed on this over the last couple seasons. I would rather remove kickers than switch to default scoring.

I’ll be getting to the schedule over the next day or so, using the scheduling logic from last season (outlined here). This seemed to work out really well.

I encourage everyone to post their thoughts on the state of their roster, or draft reviews, etc. They’re fun to read and argue about. It’s especially fun when everyone despairs over how incredible my team is. That would make for some nice restroom reading.

Greetings. Just posting to resubscribe. Will post thoughts later. Can’t wait to get rolling again this year.

I have no opinions on kickers, I spend almost no time thinking about them. I generally pick a kicker that has a home team in a dome or else plays for a home team in a warm weather climate.

Let’s get rid of kickers.
We might as well use a random number generator to assign between 5-15 points a week to each team. There’s enough flukey randomness in football already.
Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Somebody please remind me how the cuts/keeper/dear business works again? If there a limit to how many times you can keep someone?
Sorry my memory is worthless

You get as many draft picks as you have roster spots below 25. It’s not necessarily equal to the number of cuts, because sometimes due to the IR slot you can end the season with more than 25. There’s no limit on how many players you can keep or how long you can keep them, you have total control of your roster.

So if you have 26 guys on your roster (since you ended the season with 1 guy on IR), and cut 4 players, you’ll have 22 players on your roster, giving you picks in round 1, 2, and 3.

Only if we eliminate defenses also.

So apparently George Kittle is getting hailed as an elite TE nowadays. Not bad for a guy I got in the second round of the draft last year. I’ll put him on the block and take offers. I’d like to see a startable RB.

I’m back in.

Now that this has happened two years in a row to me (finishing 8th but getting the 8th pick) I’m realizing the crappy way we decide draft order in this league. I know the Consolation Playoff was supposed to help deter tanking, but I’m confused why we thought that when the bottom four teams get the top four spots automatically.

I come in 8th place by 50 pts and then lose the first round game to a better team. What incentive do I have to keep me from losing every game once I realize I’m not making the playoffs?

Hmm, didn’t we change that a couple years ago, and then have to re-learn it last year? I didn’t look too thoroughly in that case, but I thought we decided that only the winner would get the #5 slot and the rest would be reverse order of standings. I’m gonna have to dig around last year’s thread to figure that out, which I won’t be able to do for a while.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

If someone has some evidence that kickers are subject to abnormal compared to other positions and unjustifiable variance in scoring, I’d happily listen, but I’m not seeing the reason to get rid of kickers. Just ask a Bears fan how important kickers are to the game of football.

I look forward to seeing how injuries are going to fuck me again in this league.

Low blow.

I’m in favor of returning to standard scoring. I don’t think we need to drop them entirely but I wouldn’t make a stink if that’s the majority preference.

To clarify, what is standard kicker scoring? My google skills are weak; the best I can tell standard scoring means the same as we’ve been using, except no penalties for any misses. Is that the case?

If so, I kind of like the FG miss penalties we use; it’s only the PAT miss penalty that feels off. If we remove all the miss penalties for kickers, I think that would bump up kicker scores across the board by more than I think is needed.

Upon further review I withdraw my recommendation to remove kicker. There were some pretty solid correlations that show its more than just random.

I was also thinking re: draft order, maybe we could use a system that looks back two or three seasons. This will dampen the effect of tanking one season but can also give hope to teams that get stuck in multi year rebuilds.

Mark me down as another one who doesn’t want to get rid of kickers. I’d also be OK with dropping the missed PAT penalty while keeping the missed FG penalty.