"Shame" snacks you'd never admit to enjoying, outside of the anonymous intertoobz

I’m not here to judge and somehow this doesn’t sound all that bad to me. But the thought of the little Oreo crumblets that get left behind when you drag them through the dip is kinda grossing me out!

Take two slices of bread, spread peanut butter on each. Scramble two eggs. When you put the sandwich together, the heat of the eggs melts the peanut butter. Mmboy! Get PB that is just peanuts and salt, not the sugar added (or honey added etc.) varieties.

Cheese ends are pretty ‘low rent’ but I pick some up if I spot them a lot of times. It’s a great way to get an assortment of cheese, often with types I wouldn’t get otherwise (due to unfamiliarity). A typical use is frying off a lot of the moisture in a dry skillet so they crisp up around the edges.

These little chopped & pressed hams are indistinguishable from canned catfood and are delicious. They’re like a softer, blander Spam:

It’s the red stuff in a traditional stuffed green olive. Not at all spicy and, indeed, pretty bland overall.

Wikipedia says it’s a pepper with incredibly low Scoville rating (i.e. not spicy hot at all).

“Sweet” (i.e., neither sour nor savory) pimiento peppers are the familiar red stuffing found in prepared Spanish or Greek green olives. Originally, the pimiento was hand-cut into tiny pieces, then hand-stuffed into each olive to balance out the olive’s otherwise strong, salty flavor. Despite the popularity of the combination, this production method was very costly and time-intensive. In the industrial era, the cut pimiento was shot by a hydraulic pump into one end of each olive, simultaneously inserting the pimiento in the center while ejecting the pit out the other end.[ citation needed ]

More recently, for ease of production,[2] pimientos are often puréed then formed into tiny strips, with the help of a natural gum (such as sodium alginate or guar gum). This allows olive stuffing to be mechanized, speeding the process and lowering production costs.[ citation needed ]

Wikipedia source

Pimento cheese spread? Very simple recipe here…cheddar, cream cheese, mayo, pimento, chili flakes, salt and pepper.

Recipe

Yup. (Vegetable Beef for me)

Double yup.

?! In what alternate universe is this any kind of “shame” snack? That is totally respectable restaurant-type food.

This goes beyond “totally respectable” to “1950s dinner-party delicacy”. Gotta up your shame game there, p-gal. :smiley:

I have already revealed somewhere on this forum my predilection for eating still-frozen frozen peas with a spoon. It lets you access that faint aura of incomparable fresh-shelling-peas flavor that entirely vanishes from frozen peas when you cook them.

I eat them with my fingers. But only a few, as i prep the peas to cook and serve them.

A few posts up has remined me I like olive loaf.

How about head cheese, anyone?

No kidding. Add water chestnuts and you have rumaki. These were a cocktail party staple when I was growing up.

I like them with water chestnuts. But i was introduced to them without, and it doesn’t make enough difference to me to be worth the extra effort.

You’re talking real maple syrup right? Then me too by the tablespoon!

And who doesn’t love Worcestershire sauce doled out on a spoon too?

Yes, I am referring to the real stuff. I like my maple syrup authentic and dark.

At home, a slice of Kraft Deli Deluxe American cheese, quartered, and sandwiched between two saltine crackers.

On the road, I would have a Hostess blackberry pie.

Sadly, I believe the recipes of both the saltines and the pies have changed. The thrill is gone.

When you factor in all the carbs and fat, it ain’t exactly health food.

Turns out everything I like is either illegal, immoral, or fattening. :pensive:

After many years of craving these, I finally found them in the supermarket last winter, but 30% smaller and under a different label. And of course, far sweeter and with less fruit than before. :frowning:

The best Hostess fruit pie I ever had was French Apple, with raisins inside. I found it in the supermarket once back in 1967, and have never seen it since. :sob:

Where did you find the blackberry pie, and under what name? I’d like to try one, even if it’s a shadow of their erstwhile yumminess.

I grew up in the northwest, and when I moved east I didn’t see them anymore. I could find apple and cherry pies, but I suspect that the blackberry ones were only in the west. That’s how they became the snack for my travels; I’d usually get one for nostalgia sake when I was out west.

At least in California, there’s a decent brand of lunchbox-size fruit pies called Mrs. Redd’s, and I’ve seen blackberry offered in that line.

Years ago at a family gathering, I let everyone know that I would take care of desert. During the meal I hinted about strawberry shortcake and peach cobbler. After dinner everyone was ready for desert. I served my Ding Dong Surprise. Place a Ding Dong in a bowl, cover with chocolate pudding, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream the top with your choice of chocolate, butterscotch or caramel syrup. It turned out to be a big hit.

I thought I was the only one. It must be branded Fritos and branded Miracle Whip (which I don’t use for any other purpose-we are a Hellman’s Mayo house).

Sort of like that, I’ve had Fritos with French Onion dip (either ready-to-eat in a tub, or a tub of sour cream mixed with dried onion soup mix). Not terribly exotic.

At my HS in NJ, we sometimes would buy a buttered kaiser roll and bag of BBQ potato chips and make a sandwich which was actually pretty good, and probably cost less than $1 (this was the early 80s).