The TubaDiva Memorial Tuba Fund campaign is now underway

Isn’t that what half notes are for?

I’ve exchanged a couple emails with the principal of Druid Hills HS, who says they’d be delighted to accept a donation from us. We’re now working out details. One such detail is what the money would pay for in addition to a tuba. I said we were open to suggestions, provided the result was a lasting memorial involving the music/band program - we don’t just want to fund this year’s operating deficit. He’s consulting with the band teacher and other parties and will get back to me. I’ll let you know what develops.

Thanks for the update, Ed , and for the continuing effort.

Are we planning on having a message engraved on the tuba? Have we settled on what that should read?

Hopefully something simple like:

In loving memory of Our Humble TubaDiva

Jennifer Paradis
1955-2020

the Straight Dope Message Board

And den?

Are we still going to get her tuba engraved? I think that would be very nice.

I agree with Paul. And I think Snowboarder Bo has made a nice suggestion for an engraving, above.

Would we give this tuba to a student? Or would we give it to the school and they would loan/rent it to a student until they decide they love tuba playing enough to buy their own? I’m hoping it’s the latter.

Our high school band owns their tubas, sousaphones, and euphoniums, and loans them out to students for the year. Good, high quality low brass instruments are expensive.

Maus Magill,
Band dad four years down, six to go.

I have a question for band parents and former band kids (it was not my thing in school).

Are engraved instruments a usual thing? Would an instrument with a memorial be considered weird or be potentially stigmatized?

I am asking this out of ignorance and not an attempt to be a poopy pants. With the scratch we’re donating I wonder if we could ask about getting a practice room or something named for her along with the tuba(s).

I’ll ask my son once he’s done with (virtual) bad camp if he knows of any engraved brass instruments. My worry would be that it might affect the sound.

I doubt contributions were solely from the SDMB. She was active in a local concert band, the SCCA and other organizations and members of those groups may have contributed as well. (And if they were not made aware of the campaign, they should be.) For that reason, any inscription should recognize her as more than just a message board moderator and administrator. Perhaps just say that the gift is from her friends, both in real life and online?

I did a quick search and found lots of examples of engraved brass instruments, and also a few laser engraving services that claim to put zero pressure on the metal. So it doesn’t seem that sound should be a concern.

Especially on a tuba, which isn’t exactly a delicate flower of an instrument. :slight_smile:

I’d be in favor of giving them considerable latitude. You’re quite right that a) no one wants this money to be used as an excuse to reduce the music department budget and b) an engraved tuba, because that’s what donors signed up for. But for any excess, they’ll know their needs better than we will. If they need music stands, let 'em buy music stands. Hell, given that this is 2020 and everything is awful, maybe they’ll most need plexiglass to set up socially distanced rehearsals.

I agree. And any engraving can’t just be SDMB, so maybe the idea of naming a practice room or something could be just from SDMB?

Great news! Inscribed or not but TubaDiva is all it needs to say IMO.

I can see the BD assigning it to the most worthy Diva to play, an honor for first chair say.

Are there any videos of her playing the tuba?

Linked earlier in the thread:

Thanks. I must have overlooked that before.

It’s really cool how the tubas are brought out in front of the orchestra around the two minute mark.

There’s a rich history of engraved brass instruments: US Brass Musical Instrument Makers Amazing Engravings